It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Threatened and Ganged Upon While on the Web

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I am not much of a technology kind of person, basically I can turn on a PC and then google things and hope for the best.

But one thing I have realised this week is how open to infiltration we are, especially when on the interweb.

Myself and my girlfriend are going to Amsterdam for 5 days at the end of October and I have been searching several websites for apartments to stay in while we are there. Anyway, three days ago I managed to book an apartment, which is great, but that is not the end of it.

Now every time I go on the web and visit whatever websites are of interest to me, I am now surrounded on the monitor by masses and masses of photo's and information about Amsterdam apartments to rent. Everywhere I go they are there and I keep being shown loads and loads of photo's I looked at regarding properties from days ago.

I feel that this is too much and I feel ganged upon and my own independent space is being sucked away from me. It's a bit like going into a store on the high street to buy a suit, but you can't see one that you want so you leave the shop. But as you are walking down the road away from the store, one of the salesmen from the suit store you were just in walks alongside you while thrusting other suits that you may like in your face while you are walking and blah, blah, blahing in your ear as you go.

What do others feel about this lack of privacy and what do you have to do to get rid of the stuff following you around? Like I said earlier I am a bit of a technophobe........

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
lesson of the day:
nothing is free
edit on 9/30/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: removed mod tags

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Clear your internet cookies

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
welcome to the internet my friend! that kinda stuff is everywhere,even here on ATS! i don't know what city ATS is 'broadcasted' from,but you can bet a dollar,i'll get ads from my area forced in front of my face! oh wait,i gotta go.... i just won a new ipad! i have been chosen! arent i lucky!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Just look at the ad at the top of your OP and click away.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

It sounds like you might be afflicted by some "flash cookies" (also and correctly known as "LSO"s -- Local Shared Objects). These little nasties are cookies but they're not stored with the other, usual cookies. Deleting cookies in the normal way won't remove them.

A fast way to get rid of them and end this problem you're having is to download and run CCleaner -- a nice little piece of freeware that cleans out rubbish from your computer. Adobe (and its cookies) are one of the things it cleans by default.

You can get CCleaner either from the makers (piriform) or any of a number of reliable download sites like FileHippo, Download (dot) com, MajorGeeks and so on. Excellent product and worth having. I use it daily.

I can pretty well guarantee that after you've run CCleaner to clean your computer, your current, annoying problem will disappear.

EDIT to ADD: by the way, I've sent you a U2U with more info about LSOs, etc, so please check your messages.

Best regards,

Mike

Mike

edit on 30/9/11 by JustMike because: I added an Edit.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I need to run CCleaner. I keep getting ads for big knickers.
I'm starting to get more than a little paranoid.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by davethebear

It sounds like you might be afflicted by some "flash cookies" (also and correctly known as "LSO"s -- Local Shared Objects). These little nasties are cookies but they're not stored with the other, usual cookies. Deleting cookies in the normal way won't remove them.

A fast way to get rid of them and end this problem you're having is to download and run CCleaner -- a nice little piece of freeware that cleans out rubbish from your computer. Adobe (and its cookies) are one of the things it cleans by default.

You can get CCleaner either from the makers (piriform) or any of a number of reliable download sites like FileHippo, Download (dot) com, MajorGeeks and so on. Excellent product and worth having. I use it daily.

I can pretty well guarantee that after you've run CCleaner to clean your computer, your current, annoying problem will disappear.

EDIT to ADD: by the way, I've sent you a U2U with more info about LSOs, etc, so please check your messages.

Best regards,

Mike

Mike

edit on 30/9/11 by JustMike because: I added an Edit.
:

Wow, thanks for the info............I don't know what any of it means, but will have a look into it...

Ooh, it another world..haha.....

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
I need to run CCleaner. I keep getting ads for big knickers.
I'm starting to get more than a little paranoid.

Hahaha....great stuff............BIG KNICKERS........Mmmmmmmmmm.....hahaha

top topics

join