It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery as rare whale found beached in a field in Yorkshire

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

The American naturalist Roy Chapman Andrews compared the sei whale to the cheetah, because it can swim at great speeds "for a few hundred yards"

Which probably explains why she ended up where she was, the last great push of a desperate confused girl.

Sei whales usually travel alone

Which explains why she's the only one we know of stranded right now locally.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 30-9-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Interestingly some of the wording of the source article has been edit/updated since this was posted .
Also I had a check on google earth at the elevations which are low, 1-2 m with the village of skeffling , at about 5 m .
It could be a case of reporters enticing us with the bizarre, only to cite the non-bizarre as a cause .
Really it depends on what we call the shoreline > at points the beach is huge and the tide a long old way out across the sand .

For it to be 800m from the actual shoreline (a clear tide mark) it would have to have involved a very high tide , and on the sat images you can see where erosion has happened before from this occurence . It does seem to be in an unusual position on grass . However the ground rises up behind on the picture , and I bet if you turned round from where that pic is taken you'd see about a km of sand before the actual 'water line'.

On the other hand , the village of skeffling may have become an island in the night . Its happened before . They dont build at 3m or 2m , its got be 5 + to be on the safe side round there.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanJP

A message from who?

White whales are rare but not unheard of, and this other whale beached/suffocated itself then got washed further inland by a high tide... How are these things connected in any way?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Daily Mail nailed it.

A young whale died after an exceptionally high equinox tide carried it 800 yards from the shoreline to a salt marsh where it then became stranded. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Usually that type of whale avoids the North Sea though.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Common this is solid proof of evolution at it's finest.The whale's are evolving and coming out of the water to live on land.It is happening more and more frequently.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
reply to post by fooks

The American naturalist Roy Chapman Andrews compared the sei whale to the cheetah, because it can swim at great speeds "for a few hundred yards"

Which probably explains why she ended up where she was, the last great push of a desperate confused girl.

Sei whales usually travel alone

Which explains why she's the only one we know of stranded right now locally.
en.wikipedia.org...

ok, i can roll with that.

but he said "confused"

which kinda makes me think she was sick.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

The daily mail have changed that article a lot since yesterday. The headline was something like 'whale found in field miles from the sea 'puzzles experts'.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingSpaghettiMonster

Originally posted by amkia
Strange..

I don’t care about the rareness. How the hell it got 800 yrd away from the sea shore? UFO abductees..?

For one thing it wasn't 'in a field' it was on the shores of a tidal estuary and there'd been a high tide. Once beached the whale rolled over onto its blowhole and suffocated. But I suppose that's too simple and clear an explanation for some.
edit on 30-9-2011 by FlyingSpaghettiMonster because: (no reason given)

Yeah, So...
"Marine experts are baffled"

But you know! Just like that!
haha
Sure buddy.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

Barnsley, Darfield, and Huddersfield are nowhere near Skeffling. Skeffling is about as far East as you can get in East Yorkshire without falling into the North Sea.

The tidal flow in this area is quite amazing, the River Humber is the second most difficult navigable tract of water in the World after the River Amazon. It's not unsurprising that the river could rise this high and the poor whale met it's end some 800m from the normal tide levels.

One other element that might have escaped peoples knowledge is that a large part of the area is reclaimed land and is very very low lying. The entire area looks like it was ironed flat, it isn't feet or metres above sea level, some places are inches above sea level, and the odd dip below sea level. There is a stark beauty to the area I think, but then again I am bound to say that, my family, on my fathers side, are from the area.

I find when I need to blow the cobwebs out, need time to think, and let my mind be clear a trip down to the area helps no end.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
well it is still interesting, nice catch op

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
So according to the DM article , the baffling part is why there is yet another beached whale and of an unusual variety found on British shores . Not so much the fact that an equinox tide brought it to its current site , though this does add a twist , as does the editing . Maybe they are paranoid , like nasa , that we are going to pick up on severe anomalies like these . A whale , 800m from the normal high tide mark. We know they float , but ...

Where is any other debris? Do we not get provided with other details about the elevation , the equinox tide , the local area ? In the articles, not really .
The UK's 'mini-tsunami' which happened this year , did not even get touched by that weekend's papers. There is a thread about it on ats however ...

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
A novel way to drop a nuke into someone's country.

Put it in a whale and drop it far from the sea into their country. Everyone will be scratching their heads and nobody will think to look inside.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

They have done a post mortem on it > we didnt get any results . There is a comment from Japan down thumbed 36 times on the DM article link . It's in Japanese .
I'd like to know if the 7mile+ trench off of Fukushima didnt soak up all the poisons. If thats only as deep as the sea can get , there is perhaps less to be poisoned than that our land surface and atmosphere . Whales travel far , maybe it is a 'nuclear' whale ...

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Daily Mail article this topicLinks if anyone missed them

ATS thread mini tsunami hits UK

Telegraph article

suspiria
edit on 30-9-2011 by ZIPMATT because: links

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Here is a picture in the other direction.

The tides is sometimes in a change of up to 6 meters, in that area so it's propably caused by the tide.
Or a seagull picked it up, realising it couldent swollow it and dumped it right there

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
< rarely misses a trick

Originally posted by UniverSoul
haha this is weird..
not much you can say until some facts appear.
id like to see what caused this if not a prankster with some very heavy moving equipment..
im sure we wouldnt be hearing about it if tides were an obvious answer for its location..800metres from the shore would suggest a king tide which is almost once a century in most places

edit on 9/30/2011 by semperfortis because: Don't do that again.. Okay

Yes I like this idea : maybe a boatman had spotted it , knew about the incoming extra water , and lashed on .

He'd have needed a strong rope and a long one , and somewhere strong to lash it . Even 550 paracord might have pulled it through water, or a boat to start with . With a winch he/they could have felt like being cavemen securing a serious meal , in the night . Leaving people with a mystery , and a story on behalf of the , clearly screwed , whales . Its not impossible .

There is another one out there apparently which has not come ashore yet

Speculate to accumulate , thats the way... and. How did you do that ? LOL you are not allowed to tell me

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

And you claim greater knowledge? 'Marine experts are baffled' is just standard local newspaper cobblers, they fill up column inches like that. They probably haven't even asked any experts about it. It's a marine mammal, found stranded on the shores of a tidal estuary on low-lying land after a very high tide. The simplest and most obvious explanation is going to take some beating here. As people are fond of saying round here 'join the dots'. Or apply some real logic to your own argument and tell me why it can't possibly happen.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Yeah, I just saw this on facebook today....

www.facebook.com...

Has anyone figured this out yet??

Could it be a hoax? Like a sculpture or something???

Sorry, just realized must be a hoax, the guy in one picture is wearing waders.....

edit on 10-9-2012 by mellisamouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
She was obviously transported there
the question is by who ?

I think the whale wished to be at this place
and see with her last moments how does it feel to lay down on the grass
feeling the wind and seeing the sky one more time

Thanks for sharing SNF
edit on 9/10/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Woa. Now that is one heck of a photo.

Whether it was the tide, aliens, bigfoot or a whatever. This is something that makes you scratch your head and wonder what the whale was doing so close to shore in the first place. Hate to see such an awesome creature beached on land and in this case, an open field....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join