It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long luker, new member. S&P concerns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
So I'm concerned enough about what I'm reading about S&P 500 puts that I decided to create an account and see if anyone can explain this to me?

Open Interest in Shorting the S&P 500 Index in October has climbed to over 2,250,000.

www.moneyteachers.org...
www.cboe.com... N%3D8941848

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by paulmasoner

Welcome to ATS. I hope you find some good answers on here... and some better questions too.

Speaking of which, I suggest that you be more specific in your question as you will most likely get better replies.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by paulmasoner

When they say they're going to shorten the S&P Index 500, that means it'll be the S&P Index 499.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope you find your answers and welcome.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
welcome,

long luke!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
luker, thats what I get for typing in the dark and watching the keyboard vs the monitor lol.

I didnt expect to have to spell it out. Apparently the norm for S&P open interest would be 15-20K this time of year from what I read. Right now it's over 2 million. Historically this is when/how insiders make bank on collapse. Could this be a late warning sign, or simply someone trying to drum up panic to bank off of, or something else.

So, can anyone explain the relevence of this. It should be crystal clear from the links what I'm referring to....

edit on 30-9-2011 by paulmasoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS!

Hope you enjoy it here.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I do quite enjoy the site and have for some time.

Without any further understanding of puts/calls I can only formulate an opinion on October collapse based on the previously availible information and the possibility that this means players are preparing to get richer from a collapse. There is plenty already to build a very negative outlook, but understanding what all these bets against the S&P 500 would make it a mch more clear cut case.

Also, isn't the S&P 500 like 75% of the market value?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
After watching how quickly this board reacts to information dissemination for months, I am shocked that no one has started a thread about this yet. There is only one true source, the CBOE, that I can find. The rest is parroting. But its all over the web, hell even GLP mentioned it. I've seen the equivalent of 'a bird crapped in my eye' get more attention.

I would have put this topic in its visible place were I able, though I fully understand the reasons for limitations and I may well be a good example of why they exist. I'd just like to see this discussed by some folks with better perspective and understanding so that I can learn more about whats happening

top topics

join