It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horrible: Mexican Drug Cartels Targeting Schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Banners similar to those left by Mexican drug cartels appeared Thursday threatening to attack schools in three communities outside the northern Mexico city of Monterrey.

Similar banners and messages left near schools in the southern city of Acapulco led dozens of grade schools to close in late August. But there was no immediate indication that the banners left in communities in the township of Santiago on the outskirts of Monterrey would affect classes there.

Santiago Mayor Vladimiro Montalvo Salas said he asked state and federal authorities to step up security in the township, but urged parents to continue sending their children to school.

Arturo Martinez, the spokesman for the government of Guerrero state, where Acapulco is located, said Gov. Angel Aguirre had signed an agreement with leaders of local teachers unions pledging increased security for schools that were targeted by threats and extortion demands.

Estimates vary on how many schools were affected. Edith Zurita Petatan, spokeswoman for striking teachers, claimed hundreds of schools shut down in the seaside city of almost 800,000 people. The state government said only about 50 schools closed.

Maybe it was a bad joke, maybe not. My guess is that the threat was real, given the history down there. We have Cartels extorting and threatening schools, just south of our border.

It's not only a tragic situation for those involved in Mexico, but also shows a asinine the strategy behind our foreign policy is. We have a pretty volatile situation bordering our own country, where tens of thousands are getting murdered each year, and schools aren't even safe, yet we're nation building and protecting fields of heroin over seas. Blows my mind.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Let's get to the root cause of all this.
It's prohibition, and if you don't think so, you're wrong.
40 years of a failed "war on drugs" says it all. In the end it has caused violence and sociopathic criminal organizations, untold suffering and ridiculous mass imprisonment.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Exactly. There are so many things wrong with this War on Drugs it's sickening.

Like, why is it that the Constitution was never amended to declare marijuana, heroin, etc. illegal, but when they wanted to ban alcohol, this is precisely what they needed to do?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
No doubt, this will become a commen event here where I live. Thanks to the drug cartels.

NOT EVEN!

Thanks to the approach to a problem.

That doesn't work.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

am not sure whats going on in Mexico but I can feel something big coming

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

They lack the cojones I'm sorry, but I have full faith that if they did some dumb *SNIP* like that every American would be out to do some damage and on top of that it'd be like biting the hand that feeds and we'd cut them the f off in a major way.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 9/30/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

i wonder if another besalan will wake some people up to really do anything real about that situation.

would not like to see that happen at all but wouldn't put it past these *SNIP*.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 9/30/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
For god's sake, can't we just move beyond this madness? Prohibition is so retched. All it does is add a mountain of dead bodies and ruined lives on top of all the other drug related problems. The drugs themselves aren't one one hundredth as bad as prohibition and all it does.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Just about nothing surprises me when it comes to these scum bag cartel people.
They act like they have no souls and the levels they would stoop down are low.

top topics

join