Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

A hypothetical about Israel and Palestine at war.

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I've been reading a lot of threads about the subject both here and from other sources, and I'm pretty convinced the Palestinian bid for statehood is going to cause a complete mess. Leaving aside for the moment all questions of whether it should or should not happen, I'm imagining a certain scenario and I'd like to see how you think it would play it out.

Palestine goes to the UN Security Council seeking recognition for having full statehood, receives the required number of votes, but is defeated by an American veto.

In exchange, Palestinian groups such as Hamas begin an intensified campaign of terrorist attacks against Israel including missile assaults. The Abbas government refuses to return to the table with Israel as they demand state-to-state relations that Israel refuses to recognize.

With backing thanks to the violence, Israel passes a law through the Knesset claiming the West Bank is an inviolate part of Israel and they move toward full integration...

What happens next? And more specifically, should a hot war erupt between Israel and the Palestinians, which countries would be drawn into such a conflict and on which side?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I could be wrong but it is my understanding is that the US does not have outright veto power over this issue. Sensitive issue though.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I could be wrong as well, but I believe the way it works is a nation needs the recognition of 9 of the 15 members of the Security Council, with no vetos from the permanent members (UK, US, China, Russia, France) to be accepted as a full member of the UN.

Palestine could go to the UN General Assembly for recognition as a nonmember observer state and would be likely to succeed there, and that may well be something they do consider as part of this scenario.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by cassandranova
I could be wrong as well, but I believe the way it works is a nation needs the recognition of 9 of the 15 members of the Security Council, with no vetos from the permanent members (UK, US, China, Russia, France) to be accepted as a full member of the UN.

Palestine could go to the UN General Assembly for recognition as a nonmember observer state and would be likely to succeed there, and that may well be something they do consider as part of this scenario.

Lol, nonmember observer. In other words they are stuck sitting at the "kiddie-table" while the grownups get to have all the interesting discussions. Yeah i can really see them going for that....NOT!

This is the way i see it, either give them their damned statehood, or drive them all back into Jordan and let that as they say be that. I'm sick and tired of watching this BS posturing and fence sitting while the entire world is held captivated by these 2 countries and i am rapidly being pushed to where i don't really give a damn which way it goes. Give them liberty or give them death.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Disclaimer: This is my doomsday scenario. Remember, this is hypothetical. So don't respond if you're going to deconstruct my post and reply to every sentence, because I will completely ignore you.

Palestine receives majority support from the SC for statehood, but America vetoes the bid which engulfs the entire West Bank and Gaza Strip in violent protests resulting in the third intifada. The PA tries their best to stop the protests from spilling into Israel, but they ultimately fail and protesters are shot and killed by the dozens. The PA then disbands (like they've threatened to a while back if their statehood bid is vetoed) and the remaining security forces in the West Bank will be the IDF soldiers. The international community will be in a uproar because dozens more Palestinians will be dying in the West Bank because the IDF is using deadly force at this point. Then we will start seeing terrorist attacks within Israel.

Next, just imagine the Gaza War all over again, but in the West Bank too.

Next, I can see Turkey stationing warships off the maritime borders of Israel threatening military intervention if Israel continues killing Palestinian protesters. If Turkey does this, you can bet your last penny that other nations will take the opportunity to voice their grievances. We could possibly see a Syrian military attack into the Golan heights, and possibly an Egyptian attack to liberate the Gaza Strip. Iran would undoubtedly join in too if there was already a coalition against Israel.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Your understanding is wrong my child.

Originally posted by yoesse
I could be wrong but it is my understanding is that the US does not have outright veto power over this issue. Sensitive issue though.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LibertarianExpress

I find your scenario highly plausible, so I'll ask two follow-up questions.

1) Do you believe Israel would move toward attempting full annexation of the Palestinian territories?

2) Depending on your answer to 1, how do you see such a war playing out?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
take usa{the devil} weapons from the israeli ppl and there is no war only victory for the arabs
israeli COWARDS hide in usa weapons

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Okay, let's take your premise then.

Can you imagine a situation where the US would leave Israel to its own devices? What would Israel have to do for that to happen, if it could at all.

(And why do I have a funny suspicion the word antichrist pops up before long in this one?)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cassandranova
Okay, let's take your premise then.

Can you imagine a situation where the US would leave Israel to its own devices? What would Israel have to do for that to happen, if it could at all.

(And why do I have a funny suspicion the word antichrist pops up before long in this one?)

israel will kill some more women and children with the last bullets they will have and then the arabs will finally defeat them. usa weapons=cowards.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
You're more confident than I would be in that.

In the unlikely event that the Arab forces surrounding Israel were able to pose a truly existential threat, I believe the leadership of Israel would have no compunction about turning most of the Middle East into a place where you couldn't walk without a biohazard suit and a Geiger counter.

I've thought for many years the two state solution is so stupid, and this just proves it.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
israeli ZIONIST COWARDS will not fire nuke bombs because they will get hit also and they know it

without usa weapons they will only kill as much women and children and then surrender and move to africa and try to steal another country.

if u dont believe this u are brainwashed by the ZIONIST media

top topics

join