It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US: Cyber attacks on utilities, industries rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

US: Cyber attacks on utilities, industries rise

www.ksro.com

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) — U.S. utilities and other crucial industries face an increasing number of cyber break-ins by attackers using more sophisticated methods, a senior Homeland Security Department official told reporters during the first tour of the government's secretive defense labs intended to protect the nation's power grid, water and communications systems.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
If a country was ever going to be more vulnerable it would be when it's utilities were targeted. The US I would think would not be immune to this vulnerability if we were to lose certain utilities.

The good part is we are on top of it, however in cyber war you generally don't know the location of your enemy and the weaponry is constantly updated.

I do believe the US would survive an attack unless the attacker was strong enough to hit all the major utilities at once, electric and communications being what I feel would be the primary targets.

Puts emphasis on the phrase "we'll put your lights out"!

www.ksro.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
why the hell are these systems even wired to the grid?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

I concur, I mean if Wal-mart can do it...if i recall...Wal-mart is on their own network..I think it's a Cisco network if I remember correctly. I don't see why these systems aren't on similar even more secure systems. Along with all our other vulnerable/classified stuff. Power to the lowest bidder

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

According to the article 7 automated utility systems have been attacked so far this year.
Doesn't sound like a lot until one thinks about how absolutely dependent we are as a nation on electricity for nearly Everything.

I remember several years ago the twelve year old that hacked into the Hoover Dam controls.

It's a bit unnerving.
edit on 9/29/2011 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
THe first thing I thought after reading the title was my dishwasher and dryer

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

It's a bit unnerving.

Indeed it is. Let's just hope those charged with keeping us safe stay on top of their game.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Haha, I got a chuckle out of that. Like "Ohhh Nooo's"
not my appliances, anything but that.

top topics

join