It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Foods do you stock up on now

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Herbs in glass jars.
Lentils, oats, barley, beans, and Toilet paper.
Wild edible perennials and fruits growing.

I'm in a farming area, grain belt with forest intermingled, so as long as whatever goes down isn't actually here, or doesn't affect the area here, the small elderly population with tractors and other old hand machinery will be a bonus. They know how to survive.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
My garden didn't do as well this summer as I had planned. My son and I talked about a good crop for survival grown in the winter time, and we came up with turnips. Obviously not everyone eats turnips, but they grow well, and produce greens and tubers. When my sons were young we used to mash the roots (tubers) like mashed potatoes, and told our boys they were turnip taters. In my area we have a canning center ran by the state or county, which allows us to can fruits, vegetables and meats for 10 cents per can (using metal cans). These will of course also have water and salt in them.
We also have a home canner which uses mason jars/lids which can also be used on a wood fire. I'm in Florida, so if we don't get covered by the Gulf or Atlantic when the SHTF, we have a lot of local resources including game, fish and local edible plants. We also have a "worm bed" where we raise our own wigglers for fishing. I'm surrounded by wood, so fires won't be a problem, and four wells on our property. We still need a mechanical "pitcher pump" to have water without electricity.
I know that we will have short-comings, many of them in fact, but I am glad for the advice I get on the ATS Survival forum. I don't reply much, but I read a lot, thanks...

I'm also thinking about training my horse to pull a plow, but before I can, I need to research it a little, and find an affordable horse-drawn plow. I'm gonna be looking into this a lot because depending on the situation, it may be a necessity. Any extra food grown could be traded. I'd love to put some dried corn in storage for trading.
I already raise chickens for meat and eggs, but they will be tough to feed in a survival situation. The dried corn would come in handy for that. Feeding rabbits might be a hassle, but they produce a lot of meat quickly. I'm gonna be looking into that as well. We're getting a billy goat for our nanny, so maybe we'll have milk and goat-meat as well - that would be great.
edit on 9/29/2011 by visualmiscreant because: added comment

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
A handful of pine needles boiled in water like a tea, is an old Native American cure for vitamin C deficiency (scurvy).

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by desertdweller1
Just a note to those who say that preppers are crazy/fearmongers:

My husband was laid off from a job for 6 months. Our cash flow was basically cut 90%. Guess how we survived? You got it- our emergency food supply. I literally could not afford to buy groceries for at least 5 months. THANK GOODNESS we had an emergency supply!!!!!!
An excellent point, and oh so true especially in today's economy. We did the same thing ourselves a couple of years ago when our family size double due to unemployed relatives coming to live with us. The food cache was a lifesaver!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I purchased a lot of food items that never spoil, such as sugar, honey, vinegar, salt, rice.

I have 200 gallons of stored purified water, 30 Bobble bottles and 200 filters for carry around water needs.
On top of this the water supply in our Montana property is filtered to take out everything from heavy metals to fluoride and there is more than one well.

Meat wise we have 2,000 lbs of various meats rather cured, smoked, jerky, etc.

1,000+lbs of canned goods, and roughly enough high calorie foods to last 3 years.

This was all purchased and/or stocked this spring.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Star food and Faith my friend.. GOOD LUCK

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8ILlBILl8

Originally posted by chrismicha77
I'm on a Ramen Noodle budget so IF I were stocking up it would be steaks.

That crap wont keep you alive it will do you more harm then good

I also have an extremely tight budget... so I'm focusing on getting more bang for my buck on healthier foods. Preferrably as many anti-inflammatory foods as I can possibly accumulate.

Besides the obvious... canned sweet potatoes/yams and pumpkin... brown rice... beans... lots and lots of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil... canned petite diced tomatoes... tomato sauce... spices/spices/and more spices... brown sugar and raw honey... canned salmon/mackerel/sardines in oil... just for starters. Canned leafy greens like spinach are also important.
edit on 30-9-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Salt is needed in high heat situations, also useful for preserving meat, making cheese and as an anti bacterial solution. Try and get the iodine free kind, if you use the kind with iodine for curing meat or making cheese the results will be unedible and i've read the iodine kind (ie table salt) is not as good for cleaning wounds either.

Also stay away from animal salt licks as it often has additives that are bad for the above uses. I try and find cheese salt or kosher salt, pickling salt is also iodine free.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by drivebricker

I wouldn't recommend storing any food or supplies in
your garage.There are drastic temperature changes...
hot weather/cold weather.People have a chance of being
able to see what you have in your garage.
You want to store your food and supplies where they will
be protected from temperature changes and prying eyes.
If you have a dry basement or cellar,a closet you're not
using.Don't go bragging about your supplies either
only tell those who need to know.
edit on 4-10-2011 by mamabeth because: changed

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I haven't read through, and I'm sure there are a lot of great answers, but people often overlook Powdered Milk, and plain Sugar!

I prefer Honey, but it is much more expensive. If you have a garden, you should look into making a beehive. But either way, pure ol' sugar is high in calories and easy to store. Could keep you alive a long time. Powdered Milk is a nice luxury for morale if things stay tough.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ZIPMATT

You can buy cheese wax and store cheese that way.
Some people 'can' cheese and butter,you just have to
be careful.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You can store the powdered milk in gallon-size ziploc bags.
Six of these bags will fit into a 5 gallon bucket.Cocoa powder
is also a good morale booster.Powdered milk,cocoa powder,
sugar and boiling water,you've got hot cocoa.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Great combination!! Easy to store, and imagine after a few weeks of just getting buy on beans and rice and occasional jerky, the nights are cold and dark, the wife and kids are getting really depressed and cranky, and all of a sudden hot cocoa comes into the room!!

Great calories, great feel-good power from the cocoa, some casein protein, and most of all, a little spirit boost and a good night's sleep! Might just get you through another couple of weeks.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Here in the country, we are always concerned with food and food storage... there is no lack of storms, hurricanes, ice storms, etc that seem to always cut the power inconveniently.

I suggest simply going to the store and buying what is on sale...2 for 1.00 or 10 for 10.00 buy it if it IS SOMETHING YOU EAT... no point in buying a case of candy bars if you're diabetic.

Can goods get poopooed on, but I just amde a pot of soup with canned goods we bought last fall... rotate in, rotate out...that is the key.

We stock up on staples as we grow and raise a lot of our own food. So, our shopping list is similar to that of say...100 years ago on a monthly trip into town...

Coffee, Sugar, Salt, Dried Beans, Seasonings, Storage/ Freezer Bags, Fresh Fruits in season, Molasses, Brown Sugar, Tea, Flour, Corn meal....

We raise the majority of our meat...in fact Friday, I am buying 5 young Boar Piglets... and Saturday we are going to a goat auction... we have more eggs than we can eat from our small flock of chickens, and we have turkeys....

We always have a big garden...lots of peppersw and tomatoes...now it is Turnip Greens, Spinach, Lettuces and the like...

We put alot of our store bought goods in the freezer or up under the house in our root cellar... wine, coffee, salsa, lots of paper plates, plastic forks..in a SHTF situation, are you gonna have water to waste on washing dishes?...oh, and Toilet Paper, boxes upon boxes of matches... and lots of lighter fluid...yes, I can be Grizzley Adams.. but after a full day of dealing with the Shtt, who wants to rely on dry brush and kindling and lots of blowing for a fire... a few squirts, a match and BAM... a fire.

Pasta and rice keep indefinitly in the freezer as do coffee, sugar, corn meal, flour.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I found this website and thought it might help some here...
theprudenthomemaker.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Can goods get poopooed on, but I just amde a pot of soup with canned goods we bought last fall... rotate in, rotate out...that is the key.

Canned goods are infinitely important!! Especially if you get to stay in place and don't have to migrate.

They are more durable, will survive some impacts and jostling. They contain vital water and salt! Dry beans won't do you much good if there is no clean water around. The cans can be reused for other stuff.

on the canned goods.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
hemp seed granola

soy/whey powder

nonfat dry milk

boiled gallons of tap water

antibacterial bar soap

instant coffee & green tea powder

seriously i can live off daily mild coffee, (hot) water and dry milk miture.

and the soy/whey protein powder provides some substance as far as "meals" in form of a shake.

ive seen neighbors hoarding cases upon cases of ensure but to me the containers/cans take up some much bulk and are wasteful.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

edit on 4-10-2011 by redstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Now that I'm finally relocated, I have the opportunity (and space) to really get some food storage going. I have to say, I think one of the smartest purchases I've made recently was a FoodSaver vacuum sealer. They sell BPA-free bags for them now, which was a big worry of mine. It's really helpful for storing up dry goods.

It's been a bit taxing though, because I'm gluten-free, all organic, non-gmo as well as vegan - so those considerations makes prepping seem a bit more involved sometimes. I had a thought yesterday at Cosco though, that maybe in the future I should pick up a few cases of canned tuna or meats. I'll never use them myself (especially since I'm allergic to sea food) but do you think they would make for a good trade commodity if the * ever did hit the fan?

ETA: I am also seriously considering enrolling in some hands-on, go out and do it survival classes in the future, so I have a better situational awareness, rather than just being aware of 'things I have read on the internet'.
edit on 4-10-2011 by ProvehitoInAltum because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join