It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alert- Radiation Detector Goes off in Fairbury Nebraska

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
"Please inform people that my husbands rad detector went off today. We had bought the NUKALERT after the Fukushima accident and have never had it go off. He travels alot and keeps it in his car. Today it went off..in Fairbury NEBRASKA...He said they were doing road work there, so he thinks it was stirring up dust really badly. But it went off through the whole town and did not subside till he got out of the town. I just wanted to warn folks, cause this thing will not go off without the rad levels being pretty high. He said he got the H out of there as fast as he could, but I worry for all the people in that town and the ones outside working..I just wanted to give a heads up... Please post if you feel it is important.."

Reported at: thechaniproject.com...

Has anyone else in Fairbury tested the radiation levels there that could support the above claim?

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
edit on 29/9/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

15d.) Cross-Posting: You will not cross-post content from other discussion boards (unless you receive advance written permission from TAN or their agents). You will not post-by-proxy the material of banned members or other individuals who are not members, but have written a response to content within a thread on these forums.
Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review
edit on Fri Jun 8 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by willnot

I grew up near there and the high radiation would explain things

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by willnot

I'm sure many will be glad that your husband invested in that detector.

Is there any readings from the detector?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
i have a radiation detecting keychain and it has gone off several times in manhattan, NYC subway, the hospital, lax airport, and a few other places both indoors and out in between.

i think PC flourescents and/or miltiple smoke detectors may be a source of ambient radiation, as well.

i think the gadget is overpriced by the way and their is a monopoly as there is about only one brand so we should be careful not to be promoting it inadvertently imo

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Those are only designed to chirp when you are in an area you need to leave. They dont false positive at all.

They start at .1 rad so I think that you should not stay in the area longer than 46 days.

You can see the specs here: www.nukalert.com...

I just added a post in the survival section about the prices of calibrated units going through the roof in the last two weeks.

Nukealert is hovering in the $160-$170 range if you can find them in stock. The sites with the cheap prices like $140 are pretty much out. Its going to take some calling around. Otherwise you will be waiting on a longer term backorder.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by summer5
reply to post by willnot

I'm sure many will be glad that your husband invested in that detector.

Is there any readings from the detector?

This is a repost by the ChainProject.. not the OPs husband, and as for the Rad detector going "off" there is no video or anything outside the norm at radiationnetwork.com...

there are a few other networks that are giving the same numbers, however if you ask me and many others these sites may be...... "tampered with"

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

There is another small blue one with lights. If they are hitting in those places its probably x-ray machines or other leaky equipment.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
They dont false positive at all.

100.00000% accuracy/precision?

0.00000% false positives, they will never ever give a false positive, ever?

wow, incredible, perfection!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LanternOfDiogenes

WOOPS
Thank you for clarifying the OP. I missed that link the first time I read it.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Has anyone else in Fairbury tested the radiation levels there that could support the above claim?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
reply to post by ignant

There is another small blue one with lights. If they are hitting in those places its probably x-ray machines or other leaky equipment.

yes it went off at the hospital when i was getting an MRI with contrast (i was injected with radioactive iodine, it was literally green going in my vein), i had to leave the keychain off for 2 wks after cuz it would go off constantly, surprised how sensitive it is!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LanternOfDiogenes

Tampered.....

Another thing people do wrong is wipe the windsheild of their car and concentrate a large amount of dust into a tiny place and get huge readings that just are not there. The correct way is to put the tube or chamber on the residue and let it read. If you do it right, the readings from Fuki dust will be low. possibly even lower then background. if you cover the test with mylar.
edit on 29-9-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

Well yes, they are tested and stable units. But, they are not smart units. Background+ concentrated Fuki dust from rain+ gamma burst from the sun can push them. Toss in your smoke detectors and other legacy items and it doesnt take much. The user needs to be aware of the things going on around them. In the city they probably would drive you nuts. Cornfield in kansas....may never beep.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

It reads that way there is no preamble by the OP at all

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
This graph is from the Lincoln Monitoring station.
cdxnode64.epa.gov...

Depending on your location, your elevation or altitude, and your model of Geiger counter, this background radiation level might average anywhere from 5 to 60 CPM, and while background radiation levels are random, it would be unusual for those levels to exceed 100 CPM. Thus, the "Alert Level" for the National Radiation Map is 100 CPM, so if you see any Monitoring Stations with CPM value above 100, further indicated by an Alert symbol over those stations, it probably means that some radioactive source above and beyond background radiation is responsible.

radiationnetwork.com...
edit on 9/29/2011 by Semaphore527 because: trying to get a photo in there

edit on 9/29/2011 by Semaphore527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
What is the red plus sign over Nebraska on Radiation Network? Mapquested Fairbury and it's almost in the same place on the map. I'm not real familiar with RN so I'm not sure what to think of it.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I think that is just the middle of the .GIF file... I'm not sure

second line

top topics

join