It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Lurker wants to rant

page: 1
7

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Hello, and yes this is my first post here. I've been lurking around here and other sites for many years off and on.

Why am I only posting now? Well honestly, I've been trying to read a few threads here and have just been getting annoyed reading through so much drivel. Let me explain.

I don't post because I rarely have any new breaking news to share. When I do come across something I'd like to share; I do a quick search through the forums and find that it has already been posted on. This pleases me. Then I start to read the posts on the thread, as I like to do the due diligence of reading all the posts before posting my self. This is where I become annoyed. There are dozens upon dozens of pages of trivial comments which add nothing to the debate/story. And rather than just go ahead with posting my two cents without reading the all the posts, I go read elsewhere.

I am posting now to simply remind people to follow forum etiquette. Please try to limit your sense of humor, and casual comments to the social forums and try to keep the "news" forums as informationally dense as possible.

I see some of topics here with comments back and forth between people, only minutes apart, yes this could be seen as being a healthy and active forum, but when you look at how much information has been shared between these posts, you will only be disappointed. These comments would be much better suited for a chat room/irc channel.

"No 1-Liners: Please do not create minimal "me too," "I agree," or similar very-short replies. (Adding "second line" to short comments doesn't count.) "

I really do enjoy ats, but only wish that it wasn't such pain filtering through all the drivel for the nuggets of gold.

Thank you for reading, and don't feel you need to reply.




posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by whirlpool
 
Whoa man, steady on. If the site "displeases" you so much, then why not go elsewhere?
And
greetings and welcome to the site, i guess.



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by whirlpool
 


I could not agree more.
It really does piss me off when i read post after post of "cool...nice find" or "star and flag" or just...as you say trivial garbage that adds nothing.
I have been guilty of it myself so i am in that category as well sadly.

Thank you sooo much for doing a search and using the search engine...i have seen members from 2004 post stuff that was posted many times before...you would think they would learn by now???
Duplicates piss me off as well.....is it really that hard to do a simple search??

Thank you and welcome.

edit on 29-9-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
So you have been a member for a month, yet only now do you decide to have a rant?

You should have joined in and been over 20 posts by now and then you could really go to town.

That being said, I agree.

So come on, stop lurking and join in, in denying ignorance.



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Welcome...
second line



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by whirlpool
 


Wow usually it takes a couple months of membership before you see this type rant thread.
A introductions rant might not be the best way to start your membership at ats.
I mean these types of complaints are a dime a dozen around here.

Welcome and if you get enough posts you will actually be able to post a legitimate rant in the rant forum.
edit on 29-9-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ELahrairah
 


I thought when you have a heated and interesting conformation that it was good to reply...what wrong with talking on the site..See im new here and have not herd of not being able or aloud to quickly respond to one another...are you suppose to stop talking and look at something else? then come back? Or is it wrong to answer right back??im new please explain this to me so i don't mess up..Thank you



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4
 


LOL...case in point..LOL..OK i got it..Thank you for sharing that with us..I'm new and any info helps a lot..Thanks again...I think that i type to long at times..LOL Nice to meet ya...Hey good way to start your thread....



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
People also don't read. Lurking for years off and on is not the same as a person only familiar with the site for a month or two.



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
People also don't read. Lurking for years off and on is not the same as a person only familiar with the site for a month or two.


Granted, but to be member for a month and not contribute, then decide to rant is a different thing.

Or can't YOU read?



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Well, I'll tell ya: To have someone's first post instruct people who have been here for years how to behave is over the top. Here's the deal;You must conform to the site; the site need not conform to you. If you really don't like how the site operates or what and how people post, vote with your feet. Just like anywhere else, you have to prove your worth here before anyone is going to pay attention to you. You have not yet done that.



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I'm not against talking and being social, I just feel that sometimes a great topic gets bogged down with a whole lot of fluff, which makes it harder for people to find the information they are looking for. It is disheartening to start to read through threads which are say, 80+ pages long, and page after age of posts which do not bring anything to the table. Pages 1-3 might be great, then it isn't until page 8 that another quality post is made and so forth. This not only wastes time, but server space.

As my initial post stated, I haven't posted because I have not felt the need to, not wanting to post redundantly, or trivially. I was raised that if I didn't have anything constructive to say to not say anything at all.

I do realize that complaints like mine are a dime a dozen around here, but if I do want to post outside of this introduction section I need to make atleast 20 posts, and I don't want to go around to other threads saying, "great post, good idea, this will keep me up tonight.
" Maybe these complaints are a dime a dozen around here because there is an epidemic here.

As you can see I can be long winded, so I refrain from posting unless I actually have something I feel I actually have something to say. You don't want me posting, long paragraphs saying basically "S&F!"

I know that participating in an online community of those with similar interests is rewarding, and I appreciate people for sharing what they know, but simply ask that people ask themselves if they are contributing to the discussion when they post in the forums outside of the "chat" ones.


Originally posted by schuyler
Well, I'll tell ya: To have someone's first post instruct people who have been here for years how to behave is over the top. Here's the deal;You must conform to the site; the site need not conform to you. If you really don't like how the site operates or what and how people post, vote with your feet. Just like anywhere else, you have to prove your worth here before anyone is going to pay attention to you. You have not yet done that.


You would rather me post plentifully with glorified "...bumps?" How, oh how, great elder may I be initiated? Sorry to rock the boat. I stake my worth on my ability to not to spam the forums
All I really did was ask people to follow the forum guidelines, and maybe use just a little bit more discretion when posting. I've been using the internet since '95, maybe not as long as you, I don't know, but I think a little of that experience of using bbs and such is relevant even if i don't have 1000+ posts here.
edit on 29-9-2011 by whirlpool because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by whirlpool
 

I too have been visiting this site for a while and have found that usually someone posts something along the same lines as I was thinking, (your introduction is a case in point, lol) and since I really do not have anything substantial to lend to that discussion, I happily go on my merry way.

As far as all the pages of posts, I have become more adept at my ability to skim through them, usually reading the first two pages to get the drift, then skipping to the last page for some sort of closure to the op. I can usually deduce if someone has added anything of any relevance to me by the difference in the trend of the comments, then I simply go back through the pages to pick up on it. This I realize may mean missing out on some interesting takes on a subject- but I have concluded that it better to have skimmed and lost, than to never have skimmed at all .


Anyway glad to meet you, look forward to reading your posts, they will probably be the same thing I would have post, jk.



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by whirlpool
Hello, and yes this is my first post here. I've been lurking around here and other sites for many years off and on.

Why am I only posting now? Well honestly, I've been trying to read a few threads here and have just been getting annoyed reading through so much drivel. Let me explain.

I don't post because I rarely have any new breaking news to share. When I do come across something I'd like to share; I do a quick search through the forums and find that it has already been posted on. This pleases me. Then I start to read the posts on the thread, as I like to do the due diligence of reading all the posts before posting my self. This is where I become annoyed. There are dozens upon dozens of pages of trivial comments which add nothing to the debate/story. And rather than just go ahead with posting my two cents without reading the all the posts, I go read elsewhere.

I am posting now to simply remind people to follow forum etiquette. Please try to limit your sense of humor, and casual comments to the social forums and try to keep the "news" forums as informationally dense as possible.

I see some of topics here with comments back and forth between people, only minutes apart, yes this could be seen as being a healthy and active forum, but when you look at how much information has been shared between these posts, you will only be disappointed. These comments would be much better suited for a chat room/irc channel.

"No 1-Liners: Please do not create minimal "me too," "I agree," or similar very-short replies. (Adding "second line" to short comments doesn't count.) "

I really do enjoy ats, but only wish that it wasn't such pain filtering through all the drivel for the nuggets of gold.

Thank you for reading, and don't feel you need to reply.


Welcome to ATS



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ELahrairah
 


Well that being said, this new member did say he has been lurking for a while, years, and it is obvious with how correct he is in his statement... just sayin'



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by whirlpool
 


I previously would report nonsense comments, especially if they were only one line, but unfortunately seemed like they would never be removed even after I reported them. And yes, its extremely annoying! The "me too" type of post seems to becoming an epidemic.



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Well, on one hand - yes, I agree.
But, on the other hand, no one wants to feel like they have to post with a stick up their ass, you know?



posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Thank you all for the welcomes.

@Cody, I definitely agree that no one wants to feel like they have a stick up their ass, I hope that we can find some middle ground. If we could all (myself included) cut down on our waste by 50% that would be a heroic victory for mankind. Those who know me know that I am anything but an uptight, by the book kind of guy, and am sometimes guilty of practicing doublethink.



posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS


The purpose of this forum is to introduce yourself to other ATS members, not discuss forum topics.

Welcome to ATS, it’s time to introduce yourself…

You will need 20 posts to start a thread in a regular forum.

If you need any help, please see this link Contacting Staff: Alerts, Suggestions, Complaints

Some helpful stuff
We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!


Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

Thread closed.



new topics

top topics



 
7

log in

join