It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Teacher Bans Students From saying "Bless You"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Bless you.” For uttering those words, a student at William C. Wood High School in Vacaville, Calif. was punished this week by a teacher who claimed that the student disrupted his classroom. “It’s not … got anything to do with religion,” Wood High health teacher Steve Cuckovich told KTXL News in Sacramento. “It’s got to do with an interruption of class time.”

www.hapblog.com...

So what ever happened to freedom of speech in america? Someone sneezes everyone says "Bless You" whats the deal?

disrupting class? yeah right theres more to than a sneeze disrupting class yet another attack on christians in school is my take.

and of all places the peoples republic of california i have said this time and time agian on this website schools have always been about freeing a students mind not keeping them repressed and indoctrinated into whatever "teacher" deems to be a "disruption".

the country has gone stupid and its only getting more stupid by the day.

what say you ats?
edit on 29-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Aaaaaaaa CHOO. God Bless me...and anyone else who sneezes. California has gone stark raving nutz.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Maybe they should have said...you're soooooooooooooo good lookin!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
political correctness...ahem

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I say it would be better if religious nonsense was kept out of school, but banning someone for saying that may be abit extreme, even if it was disrupting.

Also, none of us is able to get the proper context from the situation, it may have to do with timing alot more than it sounds.

What if this kid constantly said bless you without anyone sneezing, and just to interrupt the teacher? Maybe he was even laughing afterwards, and so may the rest of the class have been doing. In that context, a ban would certainly be in order.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Excuse me but i think that our constitutional right is to be able to have free speach unless it impedes on public matters that are severe and unjustified. but saying bless you has been around since the 1700's. they beleived that sneezes where the devil infesting your body, do you would have to have someone say bless you. what do they want in there schools? quite classrooms or demon childs?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

It's a stupid thing to say anyway, I don't need to be "blessed" every time I sneeze. I'm going to start a new tradition where everytime I fart somebody has to say "congratulations" or something like that.

It's about time that silly tradition threw in the towel, it really kind of annoys me. Now I'm not saying it should be banned, it's just really kind of a weird thing to say whenever somebody sneezes...but an "interruption of class time"? What a douche.

Rather than issue the student a warning for his alleged offense, Cuckovich decided to take 25 points off the student’s grade, the better to deter other students from mouthing “bless you” or other religious phrases that offend the teacher’s sensibility.
Make that mega-douche. Plus he's a freaking health teacher, lots of that stuff is AboveTheInfluence propaganda and to most kids that's an easy-A class, one of those joke classes that you just go to and you get a good grade.
edit on 29-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

well here here

lets just ban everything we all dont like

oh wait theres that pesky bill of rights and the constitution

what a shame.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Aaaaaaaa CHOO. God Bless me...and anyone else who sneezes. California has gone stark raving nutz.

Yes it has. Hopefully soon I will be VERY far away from this PC cesspool.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I never said that, I just said it's a stupid tradition and it annoys me. Isn't it fun shoving words in people's mouths?

For all I care people can shout "GREAT ZEUS!" everytime somebody sneezes, it's just a ridiculous thing to say IMO.
edit on 29-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: TO edit my post

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Shouldn't the ban the person sneezing? That can be more disruptive. Especially those affected by allergies.
I have witness co-workers dismiss themselves from meeting over sneezing fits and return when finished. I guess courteousness isn't allowed in this classroom.

I guess if you burp or flatulate there, you shouldn't say excuse me either or you will be banned?

edit on 9/29/2011 by mugger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The students never said god bless you they just said bless you the god part was added on by the tv station and the parent. So seeing how god wasn't mentioned how was this an attack on religion? Also when it boils down to religion and public schools.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

having worked in classrooms, and seeing the difficult task the teacher has to keep 30 some students focused on what she is teaching, and also how some students try and turn class time into fun time, looking for any way to get that attention or laugh, I think there was probably a really valid reason she did it.

You take a class with just 3 students that may have a cold, you'll end up with a chorus of bless you's every 10 minutes..

This isn't about saying "bless you" its about the kids making a mockery of it, and using a tool to disrupt.. and draw attention to themselves.. or get a laugh.

Try teaching 25 to 39 students , and actually feeling responsible for them LEARNING something, only to have some play little games like this... constantly distracting students.

Do you have any idea what a classroom can get like? you'd probably ban it too.. especially during cold season.

edit on 29-9-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

High School Teacher Bans Students From saying "Bless You"

I recall the high handed approach of organizations like those led by the Christian, conservative right and how they sought to impose their moral values upon an entire nation.

I now see the flipside of this coin, where a smothering anti-faith movement seeks to do the same with its own values without regard.

I now repeat what I have said so many times; we have become a nation of zealots and extremists. We have shouted down moderation and kicked tolerance to the curb. We are now Rome in its last days, when the empire divided itself into political enclaves and the seat of power was broke and powerless.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

“The blessing really doesn’t make sense anymore,” Cuckovich explained. “When you sneezed in the old days, they thought you were dispelling evil spirits out of your body. So they were saying, ‘God bless you,’ for getting rid of evil spirits. But today, what you’re doing really doesn’t make sense.”

Implying that anyone saying bless you is actually concerned about 'evil spirits'. I'm sure there are a number of colloquialisms that stem from religious practices and others are derived from far worse places. This automatic PC response nonsense needs to stop. I bet the teacher says 'darn'. Well, where does that come from?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

nope you didnt

so lets switch up the words what if the student said to another one

wa alaikum assalaam ? or "Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh"

nothing would have been done and the student would not have been punished
edit on 29-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

hey i was in school people sneezed all the time you know what my teacher did?

she said hey anytime your about to sneeze press the pressure point directly underneath your nose

and hold til the sensation passes.

thats what a teacher use to do TEACH

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
that is a silly thing for a teacher to care about. I started saying "bless you" years ago when I thought it was polite. I later switched to "gesundheit" which is a secular German way of consoling a sneeze. It literally means "healthiness" which is sort of non-sensical. I like using the less popular way though, distance myself from the crowd.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
It's a stupid thing to say anyway, I don't need to be "blessed" every time I sneeze. I'm going to start a new tradition where every time I fart somebody has to say "congratulations" or something like that.
The farter is supposed to tel those around them, "My compliments to the chef." reply to post by gabby2011

Point taken. But at the same time, I'm not going to drop people's grades over it. If they're that disruptive, there's other ways to deal with it.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenite
that is a silly thing for a teacher to care about. I started saying "bless you" years ago when I thought it was polite. I later switched to "gesundheit" which is a secular German way of consoling a sneeze. It literally means "healthiness" which is sort of non-sensical. I like using the less popular way though, distance myself from the crowd.

Is it silly for the teacher to care about her students education..and keeping the FOCUS on what they are supposed to be learning.?

This wasn't a religious issue.. it wasn't about her disagreement with the term..it was simply about student shanagins that keep disrupting what she is diligently trying to do... TEACH.

Edit:
ok..maybe this teacher has issues of another sort.. I only read the title.. and it brought back a scene I had witnessed at some point in time.

but kids will take an issue and run with it, depending on age, and sometimes teachers really get manipulated.

You say he should keep his class in check..but when he tries.. he is goaded ..then he loses his cool..cause hes human.. and hes taken away civil rights,, damn it..we should all be allowed to say bless you at whatever time.. in however many numbers..because it is a god given tradition..

edit on 29-9-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join