It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to dump gold?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
people won't take money unless it is being accepted by everyone around, hell, native americans used to use wampum with the colonists.

hell they bought manhatten with that stuff, real estate was a little different back in the day!

en.wikipedia.org...

gold would be a good stash to have along with the engagement rings or a handful of diamonds.

you could barter straight out commodities but will still need an edge.

even if you have some beautiful daughters!

gold is hardwired into us, remember the annuki? lol

keep it in small sizes, don't ask for change for an oz bar.

people be trading a pumpkin for a couple tomatoes and you want to use a gold bar?

that'll get ya dead.

if there is a society going on after TSHTF, then you need what everyone is dealing with.

i keep my gold.

i remember wanting to buy it at $35 oz. (the bars), gas was $.25 gal.

never did and watched it go up and up.

ahh well, water under the bridge i guess.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by theruthlessone

Originally posted by InshaAllah
People who invest in gold according to the shift think in some ways society will still be the same. that they can trade their gold into the grocery store and purchase stuff. They seem to believe that people will trade them their can of beans for a bar of gold.

its quite funny......if you want to invest in something try hording something people can use after the shft. some thing they will want to trade for a can of beans or whatever.

like ummmmm

1. medical supplies will be in big demand
2. amenities, soap, shampoo, gas for fire or something that makes a person feel comfortable.
3. Alcohol hard liquor not beer although a case or 2 not bad idea.
4. drugs yes i said it drugs....whatever that may be folks are going to want to forget.
5. pharmacological drugs
6. home supplies made from cast iron, tea kettle, pots, something to wash your clothes.
7. bullets will be in demand, people will have guns but not bullets.
8. sleeping bags will be a great asset to trade.
9. entertainment of some sort ipod, but you will need a solar charger for that.
10.Food will always be a thing to trade.

ahhhhhh so what your saying is even tho gold and silver has been going back as far as our history and always always been the source of wealth and always will be when the "shift" happens and that is even if it actually does then instead of trading for gold id be better with hoarding kettles, teapots, bullets, coc aine, ketamine, and last but not least an IPAD...........................

lol ok then guess what im gonna sell my gold i have accuired all through my life and by pots and pans,drugs and mp3 players ................

jesus
edit on 22/9/2011 by theruthlessone because: no reason

edit on 22/9/2011 by theruthlessone because: too long

yes yes yes gold has been used fo thousamds of years blah blah blah. its a mineral aint much different than lead.

if you wanna go ahead and amass a horde of gold go ahead. after the shift you'll be a target of those wandering gangs that like you enjoy gold. when they approach your house or whatever 15 deep think of me when i said those other things will be vastly more important.

but then their are men who cant see past material things in life. with mentalities like your lets see how long you survive after the shft. your thinking short term-long term logic baffles me.

honestly if you cant go to the grocery store to purchase food and you have none havnt eaten anything for 4-5- days. do you honestly believe someone will trade you a bag of rice for gold. i wouldnt you can keep the gold sir im going to go ahead a have me another bowl of hot rice tonight while you eat nothing again. i might feel sorry for you and give you a bowel depending how pathetic you look, or if your humble enough but most people in you postion simply are not.
edit on 30-9-2011 by InshaAllah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by InshaAllah

sooooooooooo, what do you expect/using to buy the rice with?

i have $1560.00 baht in my drawer, what will that get me?

what are you saying?

eta;
if you are saying the current currency is still valid then lots more of society is still intact.

what good is a 100' flat screen when you have nothing to watch? what's that worth?
edit on 30-9-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJDigitalGem
Gold will be worthless if the $hit hits the fan!

Nobody seems to be remembering why gold was used to begin with - because it was rare and the metal has many unique properties.

- Gold is rare, it can not be mass produced in large quanities easily because of ever increasing amounts of effort and expense required to locate and extract it.

- Gold is the most malleable and ductile metal, a gram of it can be beaten into a sheet of 1 square meter without huge amounts of energy other metals require to be molded.

- Gold is conductive

- Gold has always been a symbol of wealth and luxury and wherever we find poor we will find the wealth or less poor, so there will always be someone who can afford the luxuries and some who cant. Because wealth like everything else in our reality is a relative term.

- Gold is used in most modern electronics in tiny quantities

- Gold is highly resistant to corrosion

- Gold has many uses in dentistry and other fields too.

My friend Gold will always be worth something because we will never all be poor the percentage can increase but the wealthy group will always exist and therefore gold will always have value for trade because of it's properties and status, I would however recommend having tradable bullion or similar of the material because if no one can afford to give you change for your investment its not much good to ya.

This is not to say money can not be lost on gold, it is simply to say it will never be worth nothing.

edit on 30-9-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
But hey.. the women is good looking. where has the world gone when info babes spout this kind of crap and no one bats an eye. Almost seems like some weird propaganda for the dollar. TPTB don't want to lose consumer confidence in the buck until they are ready to pull the rug out from under our feet

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Gold backed by something???? How 'bout pinto beans.

No, they really do think you're that stupid people.

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
so tired of the ding bat gold bashers

probably the same dudes that spent 5-10k on guns, bunkers, and stale MREs/food storage the last few years....when they could have just bought gold and rode it up

blahhhhh

so now they keep on bashing.

on offense, but gold has stood the test of time...probably at least 12K years to a potential Atlantis culture

if for gods sake aliens ever came down..anyone without gold would be totally screwed because of the sumerian/stichen tales.

but the fact of the matter is..gold and silver would readily be accepted to be used as currency and the way to bridge bartering parties if the shtf . currencies would collapse...paper currency is fiat. its only backed by the amount of GOOD WILL any party has on a particular government or central bank

btw, if the SHTF...being mobile IS KEY. carrying your tons of guns, supplies, food, us coins and paper money worth little....willl be heavy and cumbersome

a person can be mobile with gold and transfer that for anything they need in any country, in any century, in any circumstance

problem is too many of the doom and gloomers fell for the mad max scenario..and should have just been accumulating Precious Metals. well here is your chance again

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join