It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lend a Helping Hand.....Be Positive!

page: 1

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Times are tough. There is no denying that!

As a father of 3 kids and husband to a stay-at-home-mother, times have become increasingly tough as the price of goods and services are creeping up, the banks are charging more and more fees just to use their basic services and it just seems like money does not go as far as it used to. We could get into the value of the Dollar but that is another topic for another thread.

About a month ago I realized that I was letting myself become sinical and somewhat "salty" towards other people. Not only to people whom I have dealt with on a daily basis, but also in my responses on threads by other ATS members. I was letting the day-to-day struggles of living in America get the best of me. I am sure that most of you understand. Even though we are blessed to live in America, at times it can be overwhelming and stressful.

So this last week I was listening to a co-worker tell me about his Aunt who was diagnosed with terminal cancer, lives on SS and doesn't have the strength to do much at all. Her time is spent almost always alone. She had her nephew (my co-worker) cut down a bunch of limbs from the trees in her yard and he left the limbs where they fell. He is not known for being the nicest guy. A neighbor complained to the city and she had till the end of this month to remove the yard waste before she would be charged a fine by the city if they removed it for her.

This made me realize that my problems, although important to me, are nothing compared to the plight of others. I am blessed in many ways and my complaining and becoming "salty" was a product of pure selfishness. Needless to say, I am ashamed at the way I was thinking. I am ashamed of the way I let life change the way I acted towards others.

So to right the wrongs, I have begun giving my time to those in need and taking my children with me to illustrate the joy that manifests when we serve others. Yesterday I drove 30 miles to pick-up the yard waste from this woman’s house. Her energy was amazing! She made several trips in and out of the house to bring us lemonade and snacks. The neighbor girl noticed my youngest boy playing in the pile of leaves and instantly joined him! In a matter of one hour this yard became a source of energy for the old woman. It gave her a sense of being, a sense of belonging and confirmation that someone cared! My story is somewhat corny, but it was joy for this woman.

What I want you to take from my story is that times may be tough. Things may not go your way and sometimes hope is just a passing fantasy. It becomes too easy for us to worry about ourselves and we forget to realize that there are others around us that need the support more than we do. It is easy for us to blame the bankers, the government, or even the NWO but it all starts close to home. We need to step back and realize that even in the face of unimaginable hardship......we can all lend a hand to our neighbors.

That is how we will change the paradigm in America and across the globe! That is how we fight tptb! By persevering and holding each other up until they fall at out feet in utter failure.

So get out there and lend a hand to your neighbor. Help each other and make life enjoyable even in hard times. Be positive towards one another...even if you disagree on political issues or Obama's birth certificate.
I am trying my best to give off positivity wherever I can and just this small change is creating a new outlook for me and those around me.

Be positive!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

well written post SS247.............its refreshing to see the human side of posters.

S&F for you.

your OP has so many emotions tied to it, but, I believe what stands out the most is compassion........in the words of Rodney King, "Why can't we all get along?"

Can you imagine what this world would be if we just got along, all the complaining we do about TPTB, they would have absoutely no power over us if we just saw others points of view, or truly walked a mile in their shoes.

Again, great post.

Parker
MTUBY

edit on 29-9-2011 by ParkerCramer because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-9-2011 by ParkerCramer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ParkerCramer

I completely agree!

It is a lot to ask someone to walk in another's shoes. Most people have a hard time looking past the end of their nose, let alone showing compassion for someone else's issues.

Could you imagine the power we would have?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
You know I was having a pretty rough morning before I read this, thank you for sharing your story SS. I have my days where I feel an overwhelming feeling of negativity..so i feel your pain. The way I deal with it always differs but I eventually come to the realization that my problems are mundane compared to others around the world and that I need to snap out of it.thanks again for sharing!

S&F

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this.

Over the past few months I have become less and less tolerant of people. Without sounding like a self pitying fool, I've been wronged too many times and it's left me bitter. I find it really hard to be around people, because of the selfishness I see all around me - it really does get worse and worse everyday.

Instead of "being the change I want to see in the world" and spreading as much positivity and kindness as I can, I just live in my own selfish bubble of avoiding humans (apart from my own loved ones of course!
) and I foolishly assume that all strangers and members of the public are rude, selfish and horrible before I've even given them a chance.

I shall take heed of what you've said, because it's filled me with hope and put a smile on my face. I'll kill them all with kindness! If anything, it'll make me feel good

edit on 29-9-2011 by KatieVA because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Good post man.

Whenever I start to become a selfish, negative, cynical bastard, it always helps to think of the bigger picture.

Thanks for my remider for today!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Genophage

Thank You!

You prove that a small bit of kindness can change anything, even if it is just how your day is going. I hope it spreads around you and infects everyone you meet. We sure do need it!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by KatieVA

reply to post by sixswornsermon

It's easy to become "bitter" when faced with the sort of daily BS and inconsiderate people we encounter every day. I have found that if you "kill em with kindness" they eventually find somewhere else to unload their garbage or they change the way they interact with you.

I have had several people change what they talk to me about since I no longer feed their drama. It's quite nice!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
good to see a positive post in times such as these. Thanks for the reminder that no matter what we go thru remain positive. this is worth a snf thanx OP

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

Thank you.....

Pass it along if you can! I have made a point to be extra positive today because I had some crazy stuff to deal with and it went much better than expected.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I liked this. ive found myself feelin sorry for my little problems but had to do the same thing at one point

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Great post!

It is true that it can be said in times of oppression,struggle & stress like many find themselves in around the world,that a difference in perspective can truly change how we feel internally,how we view things and ultimately how we react all play a major part. especially when we realize that there are many out there with much larger problems to deal with.

I feel if most would just lay down their selfish wants & needs and differences of opinion long enough that we could unite as one harmonic family of human being,the majority of suffering would end.

It saddens me that there are others who just cannot see past war,hate and strife as a solution long enough to realize that it is getting us no where real fast.
Why there are children & people that still starve for lack of food sickens me.,knowing there is plenty to go around.

many need to change their perspective,our society needs a major face lift and our world & it's inhabitants will prosper as they were meant to,with ALL having what they need without neglect or suffering.

It is posts/threads like yours that continue to give me hope that the human spirit is alive and well underneath all the hate,war and selfishness.
thank you

S & F!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

Thank you for your kind words.

I could not have said it better!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
your thread made me feel all warm and fuzzy...but dont you know that we need positive just as much as we need negative? sometimes i feel people forget this...sometimes a man just has to cry

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Your thread was a breath of fresh air for me, & a timely reality check.
You've truly nailed what its all about.
Excellent thread brother ! S&F!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by littlefinch

Yes, there must be negative to counter-balance the positive.

I think there is plenty of negative to go around, so I am balancing it out.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
S & F.

You did a wonderful thing for this lady.

Regardless of how bad you have it, theres always someone worse off in some way. It could be monetary or health problems, but extending your hand could mean the world to them.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'm a big believer in random acts of kindness. Funny, for almost a year I was a member on the mission committee of my church, but having to do "good works" because I was on that committee became a humungous burden on me and took all the joy of giving out of it. I was responsible for organizing a monthly soup and bread lunch, and the dates kept clashing with my kid's schedule and things I had to take him to. At some point I didn't feel any point in doing this anymore -- it had just become another miserable chore. So I quit the mission committee and instead asked Spirit to present me with everyday situations where I could help others so I could feel really GOOD about helping again.

Ever since, I've just been keeping my eyes open and doing little things for others when the opportunity arises. Once I was at the grocery store and in line behind a disabled woman who was paying with food stamps but didn't have enough on her card to pay for everything she wanted to buy. She was starting to put stuff back, but I stopped the clerk and said, "Keep it all there -- I'll pay for her." So I paid that woman's entire grocery bill; she was incredulous and absolutely in awe, as was the woman at the register. It made me feel so good.

Now I'm just trying to help out where I see the immediate need, like yesterday, when my son's soccer team had a rained-out tournament and I went home to bring extra layers of clothes for the kids and the moms. Nothing earthshaking, but it was appreciated.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

I think you illustrate the idea that true charity and giving comes from the intent of the individual's heart and not a pre-organized action approved in committee.

Thanks for sharing your story.

top topics

join