It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC Outbreak Notice - Dengue in The Bahamas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
CDC Outbreak Notice Link

The government of the Bahamas issued a public service advisory announcing heightened dengue activity in New Providence. This island is the most populous and includes the city of Nassau. As a result, the US Embassy in Nassau issued an emergency message External Web Site Icon for US citizens in the Bahamas related to dengue.

Click the link above the text for the full article.

The article includes travel advisories, as well as symptoms, so if you've traveled to, or will be traveling to the Bahamas, take a look at this notice.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
nice, well im sopose to be going to the bahamas in 72 hours...... um what do i do now

edit on 29-9-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
nice, well im sopose to be going to the bahamas in 72 hours...... um what do i do now

Here you go mate -

Advice for Travelers - Travelers can reduce their risk of infection with dengue by protecting themselves from mosquito bites. The mosquitoes that spread dengue bite mostly at dusk and dawn but may bite at any time during the day, especially indoors, in shady areas, or when the weather is cloudy. Travelers should follow the steps below to protect themselves from mosquito bites: * Where possible, stay in hotels or resorts that are well screened or air conditioned and that take measures such as spraying with insecticide to reduce the mosquito population. * When outdoors or in a building that is not well screened, use insect repellent on uncovered skin. If sunscreen is needed, apply before applying insect repellent. o Look for a repellent that contains one of the following active ingredients: DEET, picaridin (KBR 3023), Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus/PMD, or IR3535. Always follow the instructions on the label when you use the repellent. o In general, repellents protect longer against mosquito bites when they have a higher concentration (percentage) of any of these active ingredients. Products with less than 10% of an active ingredient may offer only limited protection, often no longer than 1-2 hours. DEET-based products with concentrations above 50% do not offer a marked increase in protection time. o The American Academy of PediatricsExternal Web Site Icon approves the use of repellents with up to 30% DEET on children older than 2 months. o Protect babies less than 2 months old by using a carrier draped with mosquito netting with an elastic edge for a tight fit. For more information about the use of repellent on infants and children, please see the “Insect and Other Arthropod Protection” section in Traveling Safely with Infants and Children and the “Children” section of CDC’s Frequently Asked Questions about Repellent Use. o For more information on the use of insect repellents, see the information on the Mosquito and Tick Protection webpage. * Wear loose, long-sleeved shirts and long pants when outdoors. o For greater protection, clothing may also be sprayed with a repellent containing permethrin or another EPA-registered repellent. (Remember: don't use permethrin on skin.)

Or just go here.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Cancel.

My dad and brother just got back from there. That was a while ago though.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I find interesting that they are advertising now "Dengue" when it has been around for decades when it comes to warmer weather places, even in southern Florida is cases of dengue every years.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Cancel.

My dad and brother just got back from there. That was a while ago though.

Hmm...just got back. Yet that was a while ago ....

I call conspiracy. Where's Michael Moore ?

Regardless, I don't think you'll need to cancel, just look at what I posted, and protect yourself with the power of common sense !

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeZutch

I was just there on Sept. 13th as part of a cruise. (Nassau) Good thing we made it a point not eat anything on the island. We went back to the boat for lunch.

OOps, thought it was food or water borne disease. Note to self: read entire post b4 replying.

edit on 29-9-2011 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Better safe than sorry !

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Dengue Fever is no joke.

A co-worker of mine caught it in Vietnam a few years ago. He ended up losing 30 lbs. in 2 weeks from vomiting and Diarrhea. and unable to hold down food.

He looked like the walking dead when he got off the plane.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
Dengue Fever is no joke.

A co-worker of mine caught it in Vietnam a few years ago. He ended up losing 30 lbs. in 2 weeks from vomiting and Diarrhea. and unable to hold down food.

He looked like the walking dead when he got off the plane.

That's crazy, is he doing okay now ?

And it's definitely no joke. They wouldn't have the CDC announce it if it was.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Yes is not fun, I am from Puerto Rico I got it when I was 14 once you get the bite from the dengue mosquito you get immunity, not like the flu.

While the flu attacks the lungs and respiratory system the Dengue attacks the nervous system.

I had it pretty bad, fever, vomiting, muscle weakness and is not cure just like the flu, my father had to carry me to the hospital as I was unable to walk.

This was back in the 70s, my mother caught the new mutation that came about in the 80s a hemorrhagic version and she was one of the few new cases and was in quarantine for a month.

I survived and so my mother survive the mutated version.

Just like the flu if you have a compromised immune system that is when you have to be careful and can kill you.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeZutch

Yeah, He's fine now.

This was like 3 years ago.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
That's crazy marg. You never know when you could be facing a dangerous illness.

watchitburn - Oh alright, glad to hear it.

top topics

join