It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA JPL Live! Discussing Near Earth Objects now!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amandla

I wouldn´t worry about them knowing exact location of anything after they didin´t find their crashing satellite. Just saying

edit on 29-9-2011 by Amandla because: (no reason given)

Touché ! They couldn't even locate their OWN satellite (that had 1-in-3800 chances of hitting a person) so how much trust do we bestow them in locating an asteroid?

You gotta realize too, this is what they're allowed to share with us. They work for the Department of Defense so they are conditioned not to be forthcoming. This is why I dislike NASA so much. Who am I kidding?.....I dislike all alphabet agencies!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
They couldn't even locate their OWN satellite (that had 1-in-3800 chances of hitting a person) so how much trust do we bestow them in locating an asteroid?

NASA doesn't do most of the asteroid locating. They ultimately did determine when UARS re-entry occurred, but predicting the exact re-entry point of an uncontrolled satellite involves many variables which change over time and are hard to predict. Upper atmosphere height, density, spacecraft orientation, etc. It's a whole different ballgame from asteroid hunting.

They work for the Department of Defense so they are conditioned not to be forthcoming.

No, they don't, though if Obama had his way, they would.
news.cnet.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
apologies for reposting this but the other thread appears to be dead:

what happened with the mercury conference?
wasn't there supposed to be an ESA conference on NEOs today alos?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aestheteka
apologies for reposting this but the other thread appears to be dead:

what happened with the mercury conference?
wasn't there supposed to be an ESA conference on NEOs today alos?

Wellll... the NEO's was what today's conference was about. I'm not sure what you're talking about with Mercury. Something I probably missed though.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by wWizard
She just called Vesta a planet...
I can hear the hardcore conspiracist's already...

Not so much as what she said more like her body language, tone and voice when she said it that gets people talking..Seeing it is much diferent than just reading about it. Call it a gut fealing there was something they wer not telling us ..The tone of the whole thing when viewed makes for conspiricy itself..Kinda why we all came here, To see what other people think about things and I respect you for your opinion on the subject. I just felt it left me with more questions than answers, yet we wer told nothing to worry about I hope they are right.

I just wish i could find a video of the actual confrence. Hard for me to say watch vid when no vid can be found.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by andione1

Originally posted by wWizard
She just called Vesta a planet...
I can hear the hardcore conspiracist's already...

Not so much as what she said more like her body language, tone and voice when she said it that gets people talking..Seeing it is much diferent than just reading about it. Call it a gut fealing there was something they wer not telling us ..The tone of the whole thing when viewed makes for conspiricy itself..Kinda why we all came here, To see what other people think about things and I respect you for your opinion on the subject. I just felt it left me with more questions than answers, yet we wer told nothing to worry about I hope they are right.

I just wish i could find a video of the actual confrence. Hard for me to say watch vid when no vid can be found.

I don't normally feed into it, but you're pretty spot on with how I felt about the whole thing. It was almost like earth were going to be catapulted into the sun tomorrow and they were trying to put on happy faces for everyone.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
reply to post by Suspiria

I listened to the stream and the greatest WTF moment came with the Planet X question...the panelists all started looking at each other with a look meaning "I ain't touching that subject with a 10 foot pole...."

Is it not possible that those exchanged looks were " WTF is this person talking about!!" ??

Or maybe a shared " that person needs help" grimace??

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Sorry I missed it, thanks for filling me in.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Have you ever watched the NASA channel? Did you see their announcements about the satellite? If they have so much technology, why have they not used it to create their content, it is a joke, i don't understand the lack of narration and the gearing of the programs that they do show are all geared toward children. No info to be found there.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Ty for posting part of the webcast on here, if anyone captured the second one, right before the Margaret Thatcher look a like talks, I would love to see it. Man the second person, Amy? She was pretty hot lol. I know I know, focus Daniel-son! The guy sitting between Angelina Jolie and Margaret Thatcher looked sooooo happy to be there and excited to share this. Big ol' smile! Maybe if I saw the rest of the video I could see the q&a portion, but so far to me it looked like the guy in the dark blue shirt was giving out his info like a kid who just got all the money he needed for candy or toys. So happy lol. So basically, this whole webcast was to let us know the WISE telescope did it's job better than they expected and are letting everyone know (to the extent they're allowed too) that all is well and there are known and unknowns. There are things we know we don't know and things we don't know that we don't know.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatnext21
Have you ever watched the NASA channel? Did you see their announcements about the satellite? If they have so much technology, why have they not used it to create their content, it is a joke, i don't understand the lack of narration and the gearing of the programs that they do show are all geared toward children. No info to be found there.

I would say they are like that due to many lacking in knowledge. They dumb it down for the masses so they and we, can understand what they are talking about. A lot of people probably don't follow their website because they figure if something important is announced, it will be shown in the MSM otherwise it isn't important to them. So they probably figure they will make simple animations and simple easy to follow charts so everyone can understand. For the smarter people I have always noticed that when NASA or anyone from the government has a press conference with charts, animations etc, they always get upset when those presentations are easy enough for children to understand. I'm not attacking you whatnext21, I have just noticed the trend. But opposite side of the coin is they would have more people complain that their charts are too hard to understand, or people can't follow the animations because they aren't scientists. The truly intelligent, population wide, seems to be in the vast minority. I mean that by saying those that went to school and got higher than a Bachelors degree.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
They definitely looked jumpy to me. Really on edge.
I thought 'one of them will crack any minute' but they carried on like true professionals...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ZIPMATT

OMG...Thank you so much..That was very educational..How ever I didn't hear anything about DC. Was that with the last lady. The u tube cut off then.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
They appear as though they are soooo nervous.

I love how they dance around questions and not really coming out to say what you know they really want to say.

If an asteroid hit a populated area....obviously it would be devastating for said area.

I would love to ask them if and when something comes our way HOW will they notify the public and in what time frame.

They wont notify the public is what will happen. To keep from panicking the people, they will keep it quiet until local astronomers see it on their home telescopes and get the word out and then it will be chaos, rioting you name it. These major cities with millions of people living in them wouldnt even be able to evacuate in time, and all the while the government will keep it all hush hush and ofcourse get their families out while keeping everyone else in the dark. It sounds like a conspiracy but this is exactly what would happen. All we are, is cannonfodder to them, why else whenever a major diisaster or event is about to take place the politicians get evacuated to safety and we don't even know they went anywhere until days later after the fact? They have helicopters and jets that they can use to easily escape without being harrassed by anyone. In a major disaster its every man for himself, just like hurricane katrina when people left behind were stealing from people that were stealing from stores and beating poeple up and taking their stolen goods. When fear and mass hysteria take over people forget they are human and revert to their baser animalistic instincts.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by eeks4
reply to post by ZIPMATT

OMG...Thank you so much..That was very educational..How ever I didn't hear anything about DC. Was that with the last lady. The u tube cut off then.

Yeah they get a question from a caller about a hypothetical asteroid hitting a metropolitan area and how much damage it would cause, and the lady says if a sizable asteroid were to hit DC, it would obliterate everything inside the beltway...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by annella

You might be absolutely right !

A couple of days ago, someone on this very site told me that I was too invested in my paranoia...

I agree with him 100% !

But I'll never let him know that I do.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

Here's the story about the Mercury Conference on space.com
Mercury Conference

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Watch the body language of the guy in the blue shirt immediately after the caller mentions planet x. He begins fidgeting, looking up and down and around. And yet, during a later call, he sits there like a stone.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

It sounds like there were some interesting questions but they aren't in that recording, if anyone finds a video of those, please post it here.
Answering my own request:

Here is a link to the entire presentation including the Q&A, and the sound is better than the youtube version too:

www.ustream.tv...
edit on 29-9-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by msdesertrat
Watch the body language of the guy in the blue shirt immediately after the caller mentions planet x. He begins fidgeting, looking up and down and around.
ATS has an emoticon that corresponds to his body language, it's this one:

And yet, during a later call, he sits there like a stone.
Maybe the later caller didn't give him any reason to roll his eyes.

I noticed Amy Mainzer didn't rule out the possibility of a planet X, in fact she acknowledged that there may be an object more distant than Jupiter in a roughly circular orbit that wouldn't be a threat to earth. That's probably not the same kind of planet X the caller was thinking about.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join