It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southern California's rare squid invasion a bizarre nighttime spectacle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This is bizarre!

As someone who has been scuba diving with Humboldt squid in the Sea of Cortez off Mexico, this reporter can attest that it's an unsettling but surreal experience. I encountered a small group of squid, pulsating in the blue water, at 60 feet. Several of them charged toward me looking like alien beings, with their tentacles clasped to an arrow-like point. They traveled through the water at a remarkable speed but veered off as they reached me, and vanished.

The deep-water critters, which can measure 7 feet and weigh up to 100 pounds, are visitors from far to the the south and only show off California every 4-5 years. These northbound forays -- perceived by some scientists as an attempt at permanent colonization -- are believed to be spurred by a warm current or some other anomaly. A weak El Nino in 2009-10 might have spurred the recent invasion. In past episodes, the squid have shown as far north as British Columbia. They are believed to have an adverse impact on many native fisheries. The presence of squid, however, is a boon for sportfishing landings that offer special daytime and nighttime expeditions, with night generally best because the squid -- which typically inhabit depths from 650 to 3,000 feet -- are closer to the surface and can be attracted by floodlights.

Please read entire article here There are some cool photos as well.

I sure would not want to run into these! I love sea life, but these things are really freaky.
edit on 29-9-2011 by summer5 because: (no reason given)

Schwartz was interested in photographing them because they are such rare visitors to Southern California and possess an amazing ability to change color and pulsate with iridescent light, carried out via millions of chromatophores as perhaps a means of communication.

edit on 29-9-2011 by summer5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The most important question remains unanswered: are they good eats?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Hmm maybe that's why there has been a bunch of them washing ashore lately..

This is a thread I posted the other day if interested...not much in it just speculation: Dead Squid Washing Ashore Today In Orange County. www.abovetopsecret.com...
here's a link to the news article if you wanna check that out, latimesblogs.latimes.com...

Fish are migrating faster than expected and turning up in the weirdest places lately, thanks fo the article OP

edit on 29-9-2011 by NewsWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

calamari. Gently fried, then dipped in an amazing hot honey and spice Asian sauce. (Fire Island Grill in North Myrtle Beach, SC) Happy hour, $4 a serving. Not a promoter, just a fan.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by summer5
I sure would not want to run into these! I love sea life, but these things are really freaky.

Nice pictures

I get freaked out by sea life, especially deep sea life, pretty much everytime someone shows me.
But in a good way.
I would die on the spot if I would swim into a Siphonophore though.

edit on 29-9-2011 by derpif because: (no reason given)

top topics

join