It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Natural" "thermite" reaction caused buildings to fall on 9/11?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Ok.. as I have stated endlessly I don't really believe in too many of the 9/11 conspiracies (outside of the government having a little knowledge prior), but admittedly thought that there were some strange coincidences.

A new theory is that a natural thermite explosion occurred when the planes (and other material in the buildings I assume) provided the aluminum necessary for the the thermite.
So here is a video explaining:

Personally I don't believe this is likely at all. However it will be interesting to see who latches on and tries to run with this theory.

And from the blog I originally read the story:

Still think that something other than a mere plane crash brought down the World Trade Center towers? According to a Norwegian materials expert, you may be right. Just ... you know ... not in the way most Truthers probably expect.

"Christian Simensen thinks the Twin Towers were ultimately felled by a thermite reaction.
'If my theory is correct, tonnes of aluminium ran down through the towers, where the smelt came into contact with a few hundred litres of water," Christian Simensen, a scientist at SINTEF, an independent technology research institute based in Norway, said in a statement released Wednesday.
'From other disasters and experiments carried out by the aluminium industry, we know that reactions of this sort lead to violent explosions."
Given the quantities of the molten metal involved, the blasts would have been powerful enough to blow out an entire section of each building, he said. This, in turn, would lead to the top section of each tower to fall down on the sections below.
The sheer weight of the top floors would be enough to crush the lower part of the building like a house of card, he said."

boingboing.net...

edit on 29-9-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Very good theory and all but it still doesn't explain why the owner of the WTC building said "We had to bring them down"

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Yeah maybe termites injected with c4 and a transmitter... that were also trained to cut the support beams and eat the black boxes... The perfect operative...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

"Natural Thermite" hmm, I am father christmas.

I only need to look at one fact in the whole saga.

YOU CANNOT FIT A COMMERICAL AIRLINER INTO A 16FT HOLE!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Aluminium is the British/ European way of pronouncing it, although I'm still a little concerned regarding the overall hypothesis of what they are saying. I'm sure there would have been quite a bit of Ali kicking about after the event but hoping that it will all find its way to the same place is a bit far fetched, also where did it collect with all the supposed water, where was the lots of water ? bearing in mind all the water would have had to have been on the lowest floor the plane hit (allegedly) for the said explosion to happen.

There appears to be more questions than answers, hhhmmm what a surprise

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by FFS4000

Ah.. well then my bad. Sometimes I go into typical American mode.
Removed the snark.
edit on 29-9-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

There's a few problems with this theory, and folks, it is only that, a theory....

firstly, the official story repeated and drilled into your head states NO secondary explosions, none, they didn;t occur.

Yet this says they did but "naturally'

another aspect, thanks to Popular mechanics, is that the planes, and this is where it gets funny, both severed the solid steel collums ANd were torn to bits at the same time. This doesn't leave much of a mass of aluminum to superheat and become molten.

Beyond THAT, no plane hit WTC7 yet it came down at near free fall speed, into it's basement, as reported 20 minutes BEFORE HAND by the BBC.

What I see is grasping at straws....

Quickly in the "truthers" discovered evidence of a thermite reaction including unignited thermite flakes in dust samples. Official story, no thermite, you are all wrong, it just looks like thermite but is really paint chips (ignoring the spherical iron pellets found, again created in a thermitic reaction)

So for years it was no thermite, no explosions.

But now, 10 years later, it's "Well, sure, there were thermitic explosions, but just natural ones"

Seriously, come on.

As the truthers have demonstrated time and time again with various videos and experiments, thermite fits perfectly with some of the inconsistencies.

how about some of you OSers reproduce this guys theory as an experiment. It should actually be painfully simple.

BUT, you've also got to explain how it affected another tower, 47 stories high, from the basement, without a plane being involved.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I have a theory: If nanothermite were used, I'd wager that it was engineered to cut through key columns in the central structure but not necessarily to the point of imploding the building. Then pop off a few charges here and there to get the pancake sequence going, and the inertia and weight of the building would keep collapsing the pre-weakened columns. It may explain why the collapse began at the damaged areas, and why it collapsed top down. Pretty ingenious if you think about it. It certainly makes it convincing that the planes brought them down, from an eyewitness standpoint.

The thing that always bothered me about the videos was that the collapse starts at the damaged floors, and the lower floors remain intact until the collapse gets to them. How was that done? I know that the buildings couldn't have given way like that, so I think my theory might explain how that was achieved.

edit on 29-9-2011 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Yeah.. as I said it will be interesting to see if official person or media touts this idea.

Also i read any interesting thing in the comments of the linked to page. It said the tops of the building were weighted with controlled "slabs" (or cement,whatever, I don't know) on top of the buildings to keep them stabilized so people wouldn't get nauseous. If the control to those blocks were cut you would have a heavy lid on top essentially shaking the struck and weakened building apart.

I thought that was interesting. Can anyone verify if that is even true about the stabilization system or if that's just non sense.. I'm not sure if that's ridiculous or reasonable.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The problem is two independent labs both found NANO thermite in the dust. This means the nano thermite is built from the atom up. Nano means a measurement of one billionth. It is absolutely impossible for natural reactions to have formed this or caused that kind of reaction.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Ehh, yeah, I'd say this is, to put it mildly, a stretch. There was aluminum all over the WTC. It takes alot more than just aluminum and steel rubbing each other to create thermite. And thermite reactions would definitely not count for the WTC 7.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
Very good theory and all but it still doesn't explain why the owner of the WTC building said "We had to bring them down"

Excuse me? Could you please point out when and where the "owner" of the WTC "building" said "We had to bring them down" and what that has to do with the WTC 1 and 2 Towers and any claimed "thermitic, nano or miniature or micro or teeny-weeny or paint-on or built-in or any other rinky-dinky configuration"?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

The forensic evidence is in and it is conclusive and unimpeachable. Search for the scientific paper "Active Thermitic Material Discovered in the 911 Dust."

I am translating the paper now into Chinese using a group of nano science PhD students. The paper will be sent to the Chinese Science Academy for review.

Mass murder is evidence of psychopaths. The last time psychopaths visited Chinese was in the disguise of Japanese uniforms. The Chinese are all too familiar with their psychological make up and the paper should generate more than just some passing interest.

So far the reaction of the doctoral students in nano technology has been encouraging. They claim the paper was done with great care, and they don't see any flaws.

edit on 6-10-2011 by beijingyank because: spelling

edit on 6-10-2011 by beijingyank because: spelling

edit on 6-10-2011 by beijingyank because: typo

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
This is not a new theory by a long shot.

A few years ago this used to be one of the excuses OSers here used, but I haven't seen anyone make this claim for awhile now as it was debunked beyond any doubt.

If you were to throw flour and yeast in the air would it form into bread?

For a start off what would ignite the 'thermite', office fires would not be enough as it takes a temperature of thousands of degrees to light it. The contents have to be very finely ground and mixed in the correct amounts.
Badly mixed thermite will not react very well, if at all.

Generally, thermite is made by mixing Iron Oxide and Aluminum powder and igniting it at very high temperatures (a few thousand degrees). The reaction releases so much energy, molten Iron metal is produced as one of the products.

The two most common types of thermite are made using either Iron(III) Oxide, Fe2O3 (also known as Hematite), or using Iron(II, III) Oxide, Fe3O4 (also known as Magnetite). The Iron Oxide is mixed with finely powdered Aluminum metal. When the thermite reacts, liquid Iron metal and Aluminum Oxide, Al2O3, is produced as a result.

amazingrust.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

If you had an open flame near it would make a nice explosion.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
The problem with the thermite theory is thermite doesn't turn concrete into dust: www.drjudywood.com

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by waypastvne

If you had an open flame near it would make a nice explosion.

Huh?

Do you think thermite would? You didn't read the link I supplied did you?

Thermite is not easy to ignite. Thermite has a very high activation energy required to start the reaction. The two most common ways to ignite thermite are:

Magnesium Ribbon (Mg)
Magnesium metal burns in an Oxygen environment (air) in a very bright, exothermic reaction. Magnesium ribbon can burn at several thousand degrees easily igniting thermite. The Magnesium ribbon is useful as it acts like a fuse, calmly burning, allowing a short delay between when the ribbon is lit and when the thermite begins to react.

Other forms of Magnesium metal can be substituted for Magnesium ribbon such as metal turnings, powders, or even common sparkers which contain Magnesium.
Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4) + Glycerin
An alternative to using Magnesium ribbon is to use the heat given off by the reaction between Potassium Permanganate and glycerin. Potassium Permanganate is an extremely powerful Oxidizer which spontaneously ignites after coming in contact with glycerin.

After adding a few drops of glycerin to Potassium Permanganate powder and a short delay, a violent exothermic oxidation reaction occurs which will ignite a thermite mixture.

It is important to mix the thermite ingredients thoroughly in order to create a homogeneous mixture. Unless the thermite is sufficiently mixed, it may be difficult to ignite or sustain the thermite reaction.

amazingrust.com...

Ignition

The ignition temperature of thermite is extremely high. Therefore, traditional ignition methods like fuse, matches, and electrical igniters do not work. There are several ways to safely light a thermite mixture, the most common being:

www.pyroguide.com...

Thermite will not ignite from a simple open flame, it takes thousands of degrees to ignite it. Also take note that unless the mixture is correct it will be difficult to light and/or sustain.

I just wish you guys would do research before you make these empty claims. It just shows you are more interested in putting down anything that contradicts the OS, than learning anything, or finding the truth.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nonchalant
The problem with the thermite theory is thermite doesn't turn concrete into dust: www.drjudywood.com

I would doubt only thermite would have been used, but space beams are making the thruthers look stupid.

In the big picture what caused the collapses at this point is irrelevant. As long as it can be proven that the collapses didn't happen as the OS claims, then that is all that matters. What actually caused the collapse would be the focus of a new independent official investigation.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
What if the aluminum from the aircraft caught fire? Under the right conditions aluminum is flammable.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

This is not a new theory by a long shot.

You should listen to what the presentation is all about, since the OP is unable to understand what the claims are.

This dunderhead isn't claiming that thermite was majically made in the towers. He's saying that molten aluminum came into contact with water and resulted in an explosion, which brought down the towers.

The contents have to be very finely ground and mixed in the correct amounts.
Badly mixed thermite will not react very well, if at all.

Exactly.

Which is why truther puzzlement about high temps in the rubble piles for months, and their apparent belief that this just might be evidence of unburned thermite being responsible for those high temps is impossible.

I will link to this post any time that truthers question about it.

Thx.
edit on 8-10-2011 by Joey Canoli because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join