It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Marines carry in their BOB bags

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by JPhish

You are wasting time and space by bringing a toothbrush. Useless.

Personal hygiene is important. Get a cavity with no access to a dentist and a person could find themselves in a miserable situation. Keeping ourselves clean also serves a psychological need. Humans in general do not like to be wet and dirty, over time it can be mentally fatiguing.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Not to mention......if "TS" ever really "HTF", a tooth-brush could be EXTREMELY handy once it's time to start re-propagating the human species. It could make all the diference as to whether your genes get passed on or passed up.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

What ever Marine has in their BOB?

How about a hotline to these guys??

hahaha

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It sounds silly that a marine would be carrying a -Sling shot rubber and pouch for standard US Marines Survival gear. I do carry a sling shot in my gear, but the rubber has to be maintained or it's useless. Leave a slingshot outdoors in normal weather for a day = dried rubber and snap! But hey, it's better than nothing.

Here is a photo of a Marine slingshot
seattletimes.nwsource.com...

photo from: community.seattletimes.nwsource.com...
edit on 30-9-2011 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

Originally posted by JPhish

You are wasting time and space by bringing a toothbrush. Useless.

Personal hygiene is important. Get a cavity with no access to a dentist and a person could find themselves in a miserable situation. Keeping ourselves clean also serves a psychological need. Humans in general do not like to be wet and dirty, over time it can be mentally fatiguing.

Using a toothpick/finely frayed wood to get out debris and rinsing your mouth out with water regularly is more than enough to keep your teeth healthy.

Also, not drinking artificial drinks or eating artificial food helps A LOT.

In a survival situation, you're not consuming the sweet snacks and sodas that make your teeth rot.

If you go all natural in your diet you don't need to do unnatural things like brush your teeth with plastic and rubber.

A toothbrush can actually be detrimental to your teeth because it wears out your enamel.

i still maintain, toothbrush=useless.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
One thing I have in my pack that many disagree with, is instant lighting coals, there's only a pack of 3 of them, they're very small and add next to no weight. I figure it's very possible that I will be in a situation where I have issues starting a fire and keeping it going due to weather / enviornment im stuck in, and breaking tiny tablets of it off could save on other resources to keep this going.

any opinons on adding that?

i find it atleast more useful than a toothbrush, and if stored right could take up only a tiny bit more room ;p

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Not necessarily a bad idea but space consuming for a BOB that needs to be as small as possible packed with only the essentials.

I suggest getting familiar with some Bushcraft firelighting techniques

There are some techniques that are very useful for lighting fires in the wet, even whilst its raining
edit on 4-10-2011 by Dionisius because: edit to add

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Just a note

It makes no sense to quote the post directly above yours.

You can review these guidelines for further information

Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote

Quote the post immediately before yours: This makes no sense, and quoting the entire previous post above yours will result in a slight warning.

Thank you

Semper

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Point taken, I normally quote so I can read the post I am replying to whilst typing. Just need to remember to delete the quoted post next time

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
All very cool information. It reminds me a lot of what my Uncle ( a former Corpsman) has prepared in his own bug out chest. (Not really a chest, but whatever)

I did have a question for any of you ex military types. In an invasion type SHTF scenario, if a regular joe volunteers to help out anyway what's the likely hood of him being used?

My theory is that they might be shuffled off to some menial task, but wouldn't be given the same look as someone who has served in the military or on a civil level like police, etc.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

You forgot "QuickClot"

And if your going to carry QuickClot, you might want some medical literature.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Woodhouse

I did have a question for any of you ex military types. In an invasion type SHTF scenario, if a regular joe volunteers to help out anyway what's the likely hood of him being used?

My theory is that they might be shuffled off to some menial task, but wouldn't be given the same look as someone who has served in the military or on a civil level like police, etc.

I would say initially it would depend on the severity of the situation. I think it would be a case by case basis. There is a certain discipline that the average joe would need to already have, it would be too late by that time to train someone with the discipline needed. If there were some certain administrative tasks that needed to be done then I say that would not be a problem. Anything out in the field would probably be better off left to the military personnel.

I would not take offense if the offer to assist was declined, but in order to be an effective member of the team everyone has to be on the same page, otherwise the average joe would only be making the job even more difficult or even jeopardizing the soldiers safety.

Of course it will all depend on what the situation is.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Sorry guys... I've been so busy lately My old threads are getting left behind...

anyway many of you are missing the point...

Your survival kit does not need to be elaborate. You only need functional items that
will meet your needs and a case to hold them. The case might be a first aid case, an
ammunition pouch, or another suitable case. This case should be-
(1) Water repellent or waterproof.
(2) Easy to carry or attach to your body.
(3) Suitable to accept various sized items.
(4) Durable.

the key is small and light... hold in one hand while you fight off the zombies with the other...
if you start adding to much stuff it's not a BOB bag anymore...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GringoViejo

Great stuff quikclot...
ya know the Army makes there guys carry a tampon in their left shoulder pocket for bullets wounds.... but that doesn't belong in a BOB.. that belongs in your first aid kit

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

What ever Marine has in their BOB?

How about a hotline to these guys??

hahaha

My father in-law retired from the AF...
so if I ever need someone to invade my living room take command of the remote swizzle my beer and eat up my pork rinds... I'll call the Air Force...

BTW the way I swear my Father in law is the smartest man you'll ever meet.... he go toe to toe with Stephen Hawking in a debate and might just win

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join