It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police frustration

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LetterFromAThief
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I firmly believe that if the punishment for crime in the U.S. were stiffer, there would be a huge decline in crime rates. Let's say your from a lower-class povershed background. It would make more sense for you to rob, shoot, kill someone in the U.S. society and go to prison for 35 years where you may or may not get the death penalty, and eat three meals a day, than it would to continue to starve and fight for your next meal.

Never spent any time in prison have you? I can give you the benefit of the doubt here if you can find examples of people comitting murder just for 3 meals a day and a room.
Rich people think the poor are really enjoying living in poverty so it only makes sense that people start assuming we need more laws, tougher punishments, because too many people are just trying to get into prison.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I have not. Though I can say if I stick my hand in fire and it burns I won't do it again. That is all I am saying. The post was a synonym for my point, and not meant for literal interpretation. Simply put: If the consequences for your actions are more severe, your actions will less likely be taken.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I have had my vehicle robbed several times.
The punishment here in my town is in direct coralation to the amount of money/value.

Everytime the stereo was stolen my insurance would cover it and I would add alittle and get a better one.
That resulted in the last theft being quite a bit of value so a detective wrote up my case, not a regular peace officer.
I believe it was in the thousand dollar to 1500 dollar US range.

That amount made it felony theft and that carries a larger fine/ prison time.

It is called petty theft until then. And that is not very bad.

Maybe you just didn't know your stuff was "petty" huh?

I think most crimes have a coresponding money = time/fine
Money thieves are the most punished. Until you get into the billions then you can get off with no punishment.
Like big banks..insurance companies...etc.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Sanndy

Please spare me the "they just wish they could do some real good crap." Those cops are long gone.

I'll be sure to tell all of the guys I work with. I'm sure they would like to know that.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Sanndy

Never spent any time in prison have you? I can give you the benefit of the doubt here if you can find examples of people comitting murder just for 3 meals a day and a room.

I have heard drug dealers say, "Hey at least I get three hots and a cot without paying rent." Prison is a rough place. State prisons are pretty close to hell in many places. It isn't a great life. For a lot of guys it is not to far from everyday life. The main difference is they don't have to worry about rent, food, medical care, or child support. It really isn't much of a deterent to some.

We have too many people in jail that don't deserve it. We also have too many free that should have gotten more punishment. Recedivism is a big problem. By the time you get around to arresting somebody for murder they usually have a rap sheet longer than your arm.

We recently arrested a guy for beating his pregnant wife in the labor and delivery triage area. When they ran his sheet he had been arrested for domestic abuse three times and convicted. He had also been arrested and convicted for assault on police officers, strong arm robbery, and assault with intent to kill. He obviously wasn't fit for society. Yet in total he had served less than four years. There is a problem with a system that ignores a person like that.

edit on 30-9-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

Show me one place that says a mall security job is more dangerous than a LEOs job. The most recent numbers have LEOs at number 9. Security guards aren't in the top 15.

This is interesting, since for the year 2008, the job title Security Officer has risen into the Top 10 Most Dangerous Jobs in America with a aggregate fatality and injury list larger than some other previous occupations, per 100,000 workers. Security officers are taking the place of police officers and in doing so more frequently are exposing themselves more often to danger and physical harm. Note than many security guards carry no firearms on patrol and still may be shot. Insurance costs for such jobs must be rising as well.
Security statistically more dangerous than police

Not as many deaths but quite a few more injuries. As security officers take up the slack for lacking police positions the number will increase.

Either the police state moves forward full speed and every security guard is made a cop or we re-think our backwards and ineffective system of "justice." My money is on the growth of the police state since emotional overreaction and the excessive funding of boogeymen catchers is the path habitually walked in America regardless of decades of data pointing out how useless and flawed it all is.

On your point about breaking up domestic disputes and running into burning buildings I've done both. The building thing once and I used to break up fights fairly regularly because of all the drunk rednecks in the town I used to live in. Often times they had bottles and knives and at least one had a gun.

Anyone can do it. That is, until you guys arrive. Once you arrive my attempts to enter a building are met with tackle and arrest. Once you arrive my attempts to break up a fight are met with tackle and arrest. It's easy to say nobody does what you do when you dont permit anyone to do it other than yourselves.
edit on 30-9-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Look at the link in your story. It doesn't show security in the top ten for the last decade. The story they linked to has changed. It doesn't even list security guards.

20 most dangerous jobs

According to that link they aren't even in the top twenty. Cops are number four on that list. Other lists have them as number nine. Either way it looks like 2008 was a statistical anomaly.

I do agree that there are a lot of flaws. I think most of them can be handled by repealing laws that make criminals out of certain non violent offenders. We ned to adress a lot of other issues before we start blaming all cops.

edit on 30-9-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join