It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Tea Party support Sin taxes while religion is not taxed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I'm a sinner and until religion is also taxed I wish to see all sin taxes abolished.

I want what is fair, sin taxes seem to have religious overtones to it. We are supposed to be protected from others religious views. How is it fair religion in this country pushes political ideology yet doesn't pay a dime in taxes.

Extra taxes placed on tobacco and alcohol, places a burden on tax payers. Are we taxed enough already?

Smokes are $5 a pack or more, yet churches are becoming mega, there on radio and tv preaching there product asking for donations telling you how to vote and why, yet they don't pay a dime in taxes........

The government continues to attempt to legislate behavior, I think this is not there place.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Churches didn't impose the "sin" taxes, your govt did. If you don't like it vote 'em all out!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Be careful what you wish for.

If taxed, would that mean that..like businesses...religious groups could then lobby and throw money behind campaigns... lobby for and in part write legislation?

Would churches and temples and synagogues and mosques be allowed to campaign for and host political events?

Be careful of the Pandora's Box.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Be glad you don't live in Washington..... you cannot find a pack of cigarettes for under $6.00. Alcohol here is higher than anywhere else I've been, $12.00 for a half case of cheap beer.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Yet they already lobby the government, and they also help write legislation. So, why are we the American citizens under this Cannon Law?

For a while, the TEA Party was screaming, and protesting every mosque they could find, shouting till their faces were blue "We won't submit to Sharia Law" but at the same time, they welcome christian zealots into office, and praise legislation based on Cannon Law legislating morality.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok

Yet they already lobby the government, and they also help write legislation. So, why are we the American citizens under this Cannon Law?

For a while, the TEA Party was screaming, and protesting every mosque they could find, shouting till their faces were blue "We won't submit to Sharia Law" but at the same time, they welcome christian zealots into office, and praise legislation based on Cannon Law legislating morality.

Is it legislating morality, or are these taxes (ostensibly) aimed at a) trying to get people to avoid harmful substances that result in social maladies and b) working to recoup addition expenses incurred by society as a result of increased medical and insurance claims, and so forth (all related variations)?

Perhaps I've just missed them, but I'd like for you to cite some political lobbying done by churches in any way akin to what we see with actual corporate lobbying and the like, and clarity on how exactly they help write legislation.

Then consider that if taxed, churches would also be able to incorporate and directly support and campaign for certain candidates (Rick Perry much?), as well as now bundle and provide unlimited campaign funding - from a VERY large pool of people who will generally tend to align under those picked by their leadership, if not just having the churches dip directly into their collections and so forth.

Oh, in theory it sounds great and justified, but much further and cautious review is called for. By all means, though, if you would like to see what you're complaining about get worse by an order of magnitudes, feel free to push for this.

EDIT:
Here's a mildly entertaining video on the separation of church and state that also addresses the tax-exempt issue (starting at about 4 minutes):

edit on 9/29/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Have you never heard of the "Christian Right" and groups like the christian coalition? Just one of many groups that lobby for "Family values".

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I'd rather have a few civilian coalitions as compared to +68K new lobbying groups when all the churches & congregations in the US no longer have any restraint from completely jumping into politics, to be frank.

You think government is driven by ideologues right now? Think about what that would be like, and how big of a fail it would be if the churches didn't lose any more over being taxed anyway when the congregations started giving more money because they felt threatened...much different playing fields we're talking about here, possibly to new effect beyond slightly more government revenue and a whole slew of unintended consequences.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Churches didn't impose the "sin" taxes, your govt did. If you don't like it vote 'em all out!

True. But the OP needs to be very careful with this argument, and here's why.

If the so-called progressives (actually permissives) want to abolish sin taxes and just throw the door open and allow everything, then the churches they seem to despise would also have to be exempt - and allowed ...

top topics

join