It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montrealer walks around the world in 11 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
This is incredible .. no one has ever done that before on FOOT
and he is from my hometown

Most people when they are depress they dont do a world tour

11 yrs to acheive that is amazing but so long to complete
and so many chalenge to the mind and body

KINGSTON, Canada — A 56-year-old Montreal man looking to shake off a mid-life depression walked around the world in 11 years, returning this week to Canada, looking radiant after realizing a dream.

A bit thinner and with a few more gray hairs, Jean Beliveau was pushing a three-wheel stroller that carried his sleeping bag, clothes and a first aid kit when AFP caught up with him 290 kilometers (180 miles) west of Montreal.

Walking at a brisk pace, he expects to come full circle, arriving in Montreal on October 16 after skirting the north shore of Lake Ontario and passing through the capital, Ottawa.

He stopped only briefly to nibble on some food and described some of his adventures on this trip to curious strangers, radiating a joy and peacefulness he gained from total freedom.

He did not know where he would sleep that night, depending on no-one and with little money in his pocket. But he was not worried in the least -- it has been this way for the past 11 years and he is fine with it.

In Montreal, he will reunite with his longtime girlfriend Luce Archambault, who has supported him throughout his extraordinary adventure and even created a website detailing his travels: wwwalk.org

Beliveau left Montreal on the day of his 45th birthday, August 18, 2000, after his small sign business went bankrupt. He decided to run around the world to try to escape that painful episode in his life.

Archambault and his two children from a previous marriage did not try to hold him back. "It was cool," said his son Thomas Eric, who was 20-years-old at the time.

Beliveau ran all the way to Atlanta, Georgia before slowing his stride for what would become the longest uninterrupted walk around the world: 75,000 kilometers (46,600 miles) across 64 countries.

Link1
Link2
edit on 9/29/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Pretty sure he dont smoke lol

i wouldnt be able to do that from my home to my job
even on bicycle

It take an enormous amount of courage to acheive a world wide walk
thats why he his the first one to do it
he should be in the Guiness records

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
So, just a bum.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Being from the south shore and now living closer to the townships, I found this to be inspiring, even though I would never attempt this myself. I do remember the father of an old girlfriend doing something similar for his vacation every year. He hopped on his bicycle with a sleeping bag and backpack, and just headed out for a couple of weeks , travelling around the states and Canada.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by halffinger4
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Being from the south shore and now living closer to the townships, I found this to be inspiring, even though I would never attempt this myself. I do remember the father of an old girlfriend doing something similar for his vacation every year. He hopped on his bicycle with a sleeping bag and backpack, and just headed out for a couple of weeks , travelling around the states and Canada.

Bicycle would be a fun ride
but jogging all the way through the desert ...
you need a strong spirit
escalading the Everest is nothing compare to what he did

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I think what he did is awesome and inspiring especially considering his age and recent business failure,
thanks for posting the story, S+F

Peace,
-Bob

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
What an amazing adventure, and probably the best way to cure depression.
I'd love to have a pint or 2 with this guy and hear the great stories he must have.

I think the furthest I have ever walked was from LaSalle to Old Montreal and back (I was bored).

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fishticon84
What an amazing adventure, and probably the best way to cure depression.
I'd love to have a pint or 2 with this guy and hear the great stories he must have.

I think the furthest I have ever walked was from LaSalle to Old Montreal and back (I was bored).

its been a long time i didnt walk more then 1 hrs
this guy his a model to follow
that even with a severe depression you can acheive something unacheivable

no once could survive such a ride emotionaly and physicaly

Lets see if this news will go on CNN

new topics

top topics

join