It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outspoken Canadian Legislator Calls U.S. 'Idiots'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well I guess ya call a spade a spade, I do think it�s a bit improper to go slaging other country political leaders, by other countries elected officials, but then again it�s not like she is alone in this belief, other countries have said similar things about the Bush Cabal
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outspoken Canadian Legislator Calls U.S. 'Idiots'
By Randall Palmer

We are not joining the coalition of the idiots

OTTAWA (Reuters) - It was damned bastards last year, "idiots" this year.
Canadian Member of Parliament Carolyn Parrish had said she hated "damned Americans" and called them bastards in the run-up to the Iraq war. She found a new moniker, idiots, on Wednesday in discussing the planned U.S. missile defense system.

"We are not joining the coalition of the idiots. We are joining the coalition of the wise," the Liberal legislator told a small group of demonstrators.
Parrish, who had to apologize for her "bastards" remarks last year, at first denied using the word idiots, and when reporters pointed out they had her remarks on tape, she said: "I don't mean Americans are idiots."
Parrish then begged reporters not to use the remarks: "Please guys don't put that on tape," she said. "I already got into trouble once.... Really, please, I've had enough trouble."

Four hours later, however, she hardened her line.
"The last one was a really stupid thing to say," she told Reuters. "Bastards is an inappropriate word. Idiots is a term people use in everyday conversation," she told Reuters.

"They tortured people in Iraq, they (the Iraqis) have no weapons of mass destruction. Could somebody explain to me whether you think they're idiots or geniuses?"

The top spokeswoman for former Prime Minister Jean Chretien, Francoise Ducros, had to resign in 2002 for calling President Bush a moron.
Chretien's successor, Prime Minister Paul Martin, has pledged to put relations with Canada's largest trading partner on a warmer footing.
Martin said after Parrish's latest remarks that the debate about missile defense, intended to guard against attacks from what the United States calls rogue states, was "very, very important."

"There is no room in this debate for that kind of language," he told reporters, waving his hand dismissively. "You're going to get very strongly held views but let me tell you those strongly held views have got to be expressed in language that is acceptable."
But Parrish refused to back down.

"That's Mr. Martin's opinion," she told Reuters. "No, I'm not going to apologize.

Article at www.reuters.com...

[edit on 26-8-2004 by Sauron]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
Well I guess ya call a spade a spade, I do think it�s a bit improper to go slaging other country political leaders, by other countries elected officials, but then again it�s not like she is alone in this belief, other countries have said similar things about the Bush Cabal

We (in America) do it every day so it's only fair - Saddam Hussein is the best example, but there are countless others. We even go so far as to call them the "Axis of Evil" and they very well might be evil, but Bush very well might be an idiot and a bastard, too

[edit on 26-8-2004 by RedBalloon]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
This is Carolyn Parrish she's a no nothing mattress back for the liberal party, a kiss ass, a phoney, a stupid head.... sorry for the last one...

She said last year "damn american's I hate those bastards"

And this year she went and opened her good for nothin trap...

She begged last year to keep it out of papers because she already got in trouble for it.. I say let it all out, let her get toasted, fried, and watch her wiggle like a worm on a hook..

She's nothing but a flimsy political prostitute...

Shame on her citizenship...

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I'm sure with that type of anti-US rhetoric Canadians will re-elect her in a landslide. She sounds like a real sweet-heart. Political prosititute, huh?

I'm not too concerned with what a Canadian legislator has to say about us. Let her get her publicity, I sure wouldn't have known of her otherwise.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Damn, unbelievable where's the respect. We had a similar incident here in Australia. Mark Latham our oposition leader call George W a dangerous idiot, that's like the pot calling the kettle black

Also, when Bush gave a speach to the parliament, the 2 Greens senators interrrupted and were ejected. One of them even tried to shake Bush's hand afterwards. How embarrassing for the Australian people, all for a cheap stunt.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Three cheers for her! As an American, and an educator, I have to agree at this point. The general knowledge of most voters who actually participate in the process is going down the toilets.

Media, video games, materialism, food habits leading to obesity issues all contribute to the distraction the American people are going through right now. We can't elect someone unless they are media ready, and I'm tired of listening to unneducated people spout off at the mouth on subjects they clearly have no facts on.

I'm not calling Americans unintelligent, just far less educated than previous generations and too distracted to care. Take a look at what an average 8th grader had to know in 1900 and compare it to what you think most Americans know and it would probably shock you.

We need to stop being offended by comments like this and own up to the fact that like any empire before, we are becoming lazy, fat and complacent to a large extent. We can reverse this, but I doubt it will happen on a large scale. We are falling behind the rest of the world in math, sciene and even basic grammar skills and are not producing a large number of children who will be adaquately prepared for the future. Its truly sad.

I love my country, but I refuse to live in ignorance or denial, to do so would be truly un-American.

Peace out.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I am pleasantly surprised at the calm manner our American brethren are taking this.
As was pointed out, she's a nut. Well at least a bigot.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Well, I'm too sure who she is, but I support her, well, her ability to voice her opinions when it matters, and to uphold her freedom of speech.

THIS IS THE GOD DAMN PROBLEM !

WHY THE HELL SHOULD SHE TAKE BACK THAT COMMENT ?

Yes, silence the dissent why don't we, that just pisses me off. Since when are we not allowed to voice our opinions on something we do not agree with ?

More the power to her.

Deep

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
As a Canadian who really disagrees with what the U.S. is doing in Iraq and is appalled by the arrogance and brutality of the Bush administration - but dates a Californian, I will say this...

This is a time when more than ever nuance is required. You cannot condemn an entire nation for the actions of its government (especially when close to 50 percent of that nation is trying desperately to eject that government). On the flipside, disapproving with the actions of the U.S government and the U.S. military in Iraq is not anti-Americanism. You can like America, as an American or a foreigner, and abhor the current American administration. There is no impossibility there.

I remember when that Chr�tien assistant called Bush a "moron". I laughed and I applauded.

However, Carolyn Parrish should correct her aim and lay the accusations at the door of the American government and the leaders of its military, not the American people as a whole.

I think that over-generalization towards foreign populations (as seen on this board with discussions on Muslims) is the real danger that threatens us.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Well, I'm too sure who she is, but I support her, well, her ability to voice her opinions when it matters, and to uphold her freedom of speech.

Yes, silence the dissent why don't we, that just pisses me off. Since when are we not allowed to voice our opinions on something we do not agree with ?

More the power to her.

Deep

Thing is, she's an elected official, she represents everyone in her constituancy. Personally, I don't agree with the war either, but buddy sitting next to me may have a different oppinion.

link   

Damn, unbelievable where's the respect. We had a similar incident here in Australia. Mark Latham our oposition leader call George W a dangerous idiot, that's like the pot calling the kettle black

The truth hurts, or so it is said. The man is not capable of being a leader, tell me, thrown into the midst of an isolated island in the middle of nowhere, would you risk your life to this man as leader?

I think not...

Deep

link   

More the power to her.

Deep

Hey, she can disagree by all means it's the lack diplomacy that bothers me. What if George W called Canadians idiots ? Would that be OK.
It's a shame that some politicians, to be heard have to sink to the gutter.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
madscientist - my point exactly. Bush can call the Prime minister of Canada an idiot, that's his prerogative (some of us Canadians won't like it, but whatever). However, conferring idiocy on an entire nation is another matter completely.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I have to agree with this.

But she's not exactly a great orator in making her point is she. Not too bright for a politician.

Anyway. All of this brings up a question I posed on another thread:

Free Speech for Leaders?

Edit: sorry not trying to highjack the thread.

I do belieive that she should NOT have to "take it back". It's out there and her freedom of speach should protect her from any dire consequences. IMHO

[edit on 8/26/2004 by Gools]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Yes, stereotyping an entire nation is foolhardy and bad for diplomacy between the two nations, but calling Bush an idiot, that is something, if given the chance, I would break dance too. She was wrong in her aproach, but still is allowed to voice her opinion, even though she represents an entire demograph, she still holds a personal opinion.

Also, I don't think Bush is in any position to degrade anyone...

Deep

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
HAHAHA - she acts like her opinion matters

She can say whatever she wants, thats her opinion she can have it.

Any way, since Canada is the political equivilant of a nat, I say who cares?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

You want a "g" for your nat? Maybe a gnat but we have an educational system.

Nothing personal, just replying to AMM.

[edit on 26-8-2004 by intrepid]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   

... but calling Bush an idiot, that is something, if given the chance, I would break dance too.

...given the chance... I would say it to his face!

intrepid your pistol is SMOKING!!

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   

That's what they said about Ghandi and Mandela..

Canadian politics is passive in comparison to American politics, but that does not make them the equivilant of a nat.

Deep

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
You want a "g" for your nat? Maybe a gnat but we have an educational system.

Nothing personal, just replying to AMM.

So do we, just not everyone chooses to participate; personally, I blame Congress�

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join