It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was this murder a conspiracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I remember how suspicious this sounded when the news first broke, but then the story quickly disappeared from the news as if it was being buried. I don't remember ever hearing any follow-up on this, but it sure sounds like some kind of political murder to me. His long time in service and position in the Pentagon could easily have made him privy to information others would want to cover up. Does anyone know anything more about this?

Mystery of Pentagon official’s body found in dump enthralls D.C.
Published On Tue Jan 04 2011

John P. Wheeler, a Vietnam veteran and current defence consultant for the U.S., was found dead Dec. 31, 2010, at the Cherry Island Landfill in Wilmington, Delaware.

WASHINGTON—It’s a murder mystery seemingly borrowed from a political potboiler: a former Pentagon official, West Point cadet and general’s aide meeting a brutally undignified end, his body discovered as it jutted out of a garbage truck dumping trash into a landfill site.

Like the suicide of Bill Clinton adviser Vince Foster almost two decades ago and the disappearance of intern Chandra Levy in 2001, the U.S. capital is once again transfixed by a crime story with political underpinnings.

This time, it’s the death of 66-year-old John P. Wheeler, the driving force behind the Vietnam War memorial in the 1980s and an operative in the last three Republican administrations.

Wheeler’s body was found on New Year’s Eve in a landfill site in Delaware, after it was dumped into a garbage bin in east-end Newark, Del.

After booking a Dec. 28 Amtrak ticket from Washington to Wilmington, Del., ostensibly to head home to nearby New Castle for New Year’s, the Harvard Business School grad hadn’t been seen or heard from until a sanitation worker spotted his body in the garbage truck.

Speculation has been rampant: Eyebrows have been raised at revelations Wheeler’s third wife was travelling overseas at the time of his disappearance, so no missing persons report was filed immediately. His lawyer, meantime, says he’s been locked in a legal dispute with neighbours over a proposed addition to their house that would block his view of the Delaware River.

Police were back at the landfill site Tuesday, scouring it for clues. Investigators were also reportedly focusing on the whereabouts of Wheeler’s car, which may have been left in Wilmington, Del., after he got off the train.

Originally, investigators said Wheeler was last seen around noon on Dec. 28 disembarking from the train. But on Tuesday, they said he was last seen alive two days later, in downtown Wilmington on Thursday afternoon, the day before his body was found.

Friends and neighbours have expressed utter bewilderment.

“The more you think about it, the more implausible it becomes,” 85-year-old neighbour Robert Meadus said. “It’s a Perry Mason thing for sure.”

Another neighbour said a TV set had been blaring at Wheeler’s house for much of the holiday period, even though it was clear no one was inside.

James Fallows, a national correspondent for The Atlantic magazine, was a close friend of Wheeler’s.

“He was a complicated man of very intense (and sometimes changeable) friendships, passions, and causes,” he wrote. “I have no idea what kind of trouble he may have encountered . . . I feel terrible for his family and hope they will eventually find comfort in knowing how many important things he achieved.”

Wheeler’s family released a short statement earlier this week through the Newark police.

“As you must appreciate, this is a tragic time for the family. We are grieving our loss. Please understand that the family has no further comment at this time. We trust that everyone will respect the family’s privacy,” the statement said.

Wheeler was well known in D.C., dubbed an “outer planet” in the city’s solar system of mighty power brokers. He was a special assistant to the secretary of the Air Force under George W. Bush, but was most famous for raising $11 million to build the famous Vietnam memorial on the National Mall.

www.thestar.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

yes - in the sense that someone attempted to dispose of the corpse

but i doubt thats what you mean

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
This one set the hairs on my arms on edge.

From the very first reports, I concluded the man was assisted to an early demise.

My question, which remains to this day, is WHY?

What did he know? What was he going to reveal? Whose feathers did he ruffle?

I suspect WE shall never know the truth on this one.

But I certainly don't buy the crap the MSM was trying to feed us...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
How was he killed: shot, beaten, poisoned.
It would be prevelant to a case to know how he died. It is also good to know his connections. Who he spent the most time with. The fact that his wife was overseas during this time is also a little strange, maybe she knows something, and maybe she doesn't...
They saw him just a day before his body was found. Maybe someone saw him with another suspect?
They do like to sweep peoples names under the rug. I hope the person who murdered John P. Wheeler is caught and brought to justice.

new topics

top topics

join