It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scoliosis victim teaches us life lesson: Our will can overcome any obstacle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Meet Bryan Gaynor. Bryan is a young man who suffers from scoliosis, an abnormal curviture of the spine that has affected his movement and height. He is the last guy you'd believe could have moves on the dance floor, let alone master them, but he has done just that.

This was Bryan 4 years ago on a cookie cutter reality show. A nessasary stepping stone on his path to establishing his dance crew: Remote Kontrol.

Since then Bryan has been working on his dancing skills with his two other dance partners: iGlide and NonStop. Together, each one masters a different form of dance. Referred to as popping, gliding, and the robot, of course. All three blend their styles, and at times use them in a solo routine while the other dances stay frozen in place.

And after all their training and hardwork, they're no longer dancers, but masters of visual illusions. Artists.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I have Scoliosis and have never really had issues... I don't understand what this has to do with him dancing. I will be 30 in a couple months and other than some minor back pain in the morning after waking up every once in a while, I have no issues whatsoever. Only thing I remember was hating to wear my brace during cheerleading practice back in high school... Not everyone can dance though so good job for that =)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by beenupsince2007
I have Scoliosis and have never really had issues... I don't understand what this has to do with him dancing. I will be 30 in a couple months and other than some minor back pain in the morning after waking up every once in a while, I have no issues whatsoever. Only thing I remember was hating to wear my brace during cheerleading practice back in high school... Not everyone can dance though so good job for that =)

I had to wear that brace until I was 16, until I had the operation. Everyday I went to school, I would take it off and shove it in my locker. That brace is so uncomfortable.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by beenupsince2007

Clearly he has a much more severe case.

If you couldn't understand the empathy and hope that was presented from the poster hopefully you're able to comprehend just how lucky and grateful you should be to have not had such a severe case.

I myself have Spina Bifida, it's where your spinal cord is tethered and can often be followed by your spine not completely closing causing issues with spinal fluid and all the things effected in that area.
I was lucky enough to only need 4 operations to fix my problem as it was a very minor case now I only deal with spinal headaches and a few other issues, others who have this same thing are forced to wheel chairs, can not move from the waste down and have developmental issues, and hydrocephalus then there also a large number of people who have it to such a small degree that they don't even know they have it.

I have seen those that are prisoners of their wheel chairs become Neuroscientist, and those suffering a back that hurts every blue moon succumb to drug addiction, welfare, and willing lay in bed all their life pondering why life is just so horrible..it's all about perspective and what we CHOOSE to do with the body and minds that we are stuck with.

It just goes to show that with a little will power, desire, and hope people can over come the odds that weren't so easily handed to them, and also to be so grateful for the things we do have that we take for granted and through great pain and suffering can come strength, wisdom, empathy and greater understanding for life.

Anyways this is just what this video meant for me.
Thanks for posting OP, you have a heart of gold! something we need a little more of in this world!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by beenupsince2007

Apparently you don't realize he may be the best in the world at his dance style, with his condition, a near impossible feat for the average person without the condition........

Secondly, no one watched the video's apparently. The reason I posted it is because I have never been into dance video's or "step up 2 the streets," or look at my I'm a hardcore street dancer. But when I saw this I couldn't stop watching it, it's hypnotizing.

Just watch the second video and then get back to me. Perhaps I posted this in the wrong forum. Mods, off with my head.

top topics

join