It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme tide in Alaskas Cook Inlet 9/28/11 (Worlds 2nd strongest tidal forces)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I live on a bluff on the Cook Inlet on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska. Today the tide was the highest i have ever seen it in the 30 years i have lived here.

The Cook inlet is home to the 2nd strongest tides in the world so this may (or may not) hold some importance.

Here are a couple pictures I took and a short video to prove how high the tide is. High tide is usually a 100feet further from the point its reaching on the beach now.

The tide was still coming in at the end of this video, we had to get back to our jeep to make sure the tide didn't reach it.

edit on 9/28/2011 by Alaskan Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Thirty years?

100 feet is not a very small distance..

Has it subsided?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Post some pics of the lower high tides, and of the low tides, for perspective. For me, I wouldn't be able to tell that this was high tide.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Maybe it was a small underwater quake, I notice there was a cople in that area lately.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

I realized this after i posted it
I'll go through my photos and see if i have any with the tide as a normal high tide, the tides here are so serve that the difference between high tide and low tide is about half a mile.

EDIT: best i can do on short notice. Those wooden post are about 35feet behind me in this picture

edit on 9/28/2011 by Alaskan Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by IJUSTAM

thats basically an everyday occurrence here, and i haven't seen any larger then normal quakes on the quake watch site today.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

We also have a pergiean new moon on the equator today and there is a lunar energy overload with unusually high tides.

Moon behavior for 28Sep

Apparently it's something normal. It does seem like it's more of a high tide than usual even for a pergiean new moon.

Beautiful place btw, hope to be stationed there one day.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
if the beach is flat - then only a few centimeters change in tidal range will have a massive impact on the distance between LW and HW marks

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
If I'm reading the Tide Table for here right, It looks like about 2 to 5 feet higher than normal from a couple of days ago through the end of September. I've not looked at October. Tidal range here is 40 feet as a norm from what I've found.

I have an ability to cause a low tide if that helps? I've not seen the Beluga's in years as every time I drive out Turnagain Arm and watch for the Beluga's, it is always low tide. Of course I could look at a tide chart but that would be cheating.
If my recent history is any indicator I can just drive down the peninsula and the tide will go out. Of course it will cost ya

I read about this coming about three days ago, but I don't recall where. Closest approach of the Moon and in line as a New Moon I think was the cause. Forgive me if somebody already pointed that out. I'm posting while working on a work project so by the time I post the conversation shoots by me.

That's one of my favorite spots down that way, I'm in Anchorage.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

I just had to star you for that link you included in your post. Since all this Elenin and Nib and Planet X and earthquakes, people are trying to pay closer attention to what's happening around them. A lot of people have gone off the deep end where space is concerned...freaking out about space related visuals that's been around for... a long ass time. *lol*

Not only does your link show people what the moon will do for that given day but it gives a Moon-Load ( Moon-Load...lol can I get a wOOp wOOp...lol) of information pertaining to the moon. So now people can educated themselves and realize they don't need to freak out unless the moon turns a pea-green color and it rains swiss cheese...then they should worry. lol

Here's the link that amhobo posted Moon-Load of Information on the Moon

top topics

join