It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancel Netflix & Get $5 In Free Rentals...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
That's what my local "Family Video" store is promising. Print out your cancellation notice from Netflix, and voila! Free movies.

So what's going on here? Our previous video store became so expensive to rent from, that Netflix was a no-brainer. Now it seems the movie rental business is reversing a trend they themselves started. Not only is Family Video cheap. But they're offering $5 in free rentals.

Are the vultures circling, waiting for Netflix to finish themselves off?

Has anyone else seen reader boards like this in their area?

edit on 9/28/2011 by Klassified because: Rework

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
That doesn't even cover 2 new releases...
This won't cause anyone to cancel their netflix account...it will only cause people who were already planning on canceling to visit Famiily Video once or twice.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Actually, here it does cover two new releases. Almost three right now. And regular releases are 2/$1, I think.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Heh,.
I'm cancelling my 85 dollar month DirecTV and going to use our Netflix account and our Hulu account.
5 dollars?

We don't even have a video store in my town anymore. Just the Red Boxes.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Who still pays for TV/movies? There's so many free online sources for TV shows and brand new movies, even the file sharing p2p's are obsolete.

I have a few friends who still use Netflix... so many people still like to spend money they don't have to.

edit on 28-9-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Who still pays for TV/movies? There's so many free online sources for TV shows and brand new movies, even the file sharing p2p's are obsolete.

I have a few friends who still use Netflix... so many people still like to spend money they don't have to.
We like to pay people for their products. It's not just the legal and courteous way to go, it insures more product.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

You think sites like HULU aren't paying for that "product" with all their ads and commercials?
That's a legal site, and free. Of course there are others not so well advertised but still offer free content and have ads that pay for the services. Plenty of them out there without the commercial interruptions.
To each their own.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I'll bite. Where is a free site showing new movies for free that has deals with the studios?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Deals with studios? There's so many examples to cite, but I know legal sites that have been around years and offer new and old movies/TV shows.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

There's so many examples to cite
So, you can't name one new movie site that has deals with the studios?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

I sent you a u2u with links.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I sent you a u2u with links.

Those links are to sites that post links to illegal viewing. One of the owners was recently arrested. This in no way supports the artists and studios who work hard and spend money to entertain you.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

That owner got arrested and released. Not the same thing as convicted. Lots of people get arrested.
The site is active and up. All it takes is a few complaints. A lot of the host sites have ads which pay for the content, and these days the movie studios themselves release camcorder bootlegs on these sites, always poor quality too.

edit on 29-9-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I didn't think you could point to a site with a studio deal. It's all just pirating.

I canceled my Netflix DVD when the price went up. In the few months I had the service, I'd already seen all the DVD's I 'd wanted. The streaming service, on the other hand, is amazing. I love the documentaries, educational, and artistic programming. There's also loads of Dr Who and Star Trek.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

these days the movie studios themselves release camcorder bootlegs on these sites
Source?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I'm with you on that one.
You just have to look around.
And rate previous things that you have watched. Once you've rated them, tons of related items will be presented to you. We dumped DIrecTV, and haven't looked back. Our DVD service portion of the service still has about 3 weeks left before it goes bye bye.
For DVDs. we buy about 1 every two months so we keep a growing library on hand.
That is unless we find a Gem in the Bargain bins at some stores. Then we may buy 3 or 4.

you STILL cannot beat streaming for 8 bucks.
Currently running through all original Star Treks and Dick van Dyke shows.
Then we'll do Star Trek TNG.

I've also notice that since the announcement of the splitting of services, that they have been adding new content very often.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Instant is kind to anime and foreign movie buffs also. Worth the admission just for that.
I appreciate instant for kids tv shows without the commercials that I dont like my kids being exposed to.

High School of the Dead is a fun newer anime series on Instant that is worth a watch if you enjoy anime at all.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

We watch lots of foreign films....Not much Anime..But yes there are tons of titles available.
And I DO love that there are no commercials.

new topics

top topics

join