It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Expedient Urban Can Opener

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Should you forget to pack a can opener in your survival gear all is not lost! You can open a can by rubbing it's bottom edge in a circular motion on a sidewalk surface or a curb. Check out the link below to read more. I believe Cody Lundin has this on a video somewhere if you want to see it done in real time.

Curb Can Opener

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
hahaa this is cool i didnt know that im gonna go try it and see if it works be back in a few to let you know the details!

ha tried it does work...so rock on learned something new!
edit on 28-9-2011 by Calex1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Interesting, however in survival, simply knowing simple tid-bits of information, while helpful, comes in second to adaptation. It's all about using what you got, and knowing what you don't.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The thing that concerns me here are metal shards ending up in the product?

I keep a P-38 on my keyring, hope I don't loose my keys!
And know how to use it.
edit on 28-9-2011 by SunflowerStar because: 3rd line

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

It's good to have one on your key ring, but they're a little hard to use, and a lot of the ones I've bought are seriously flimsy. A good knife will open a can fairly easily too if you have good hand strength.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Redwing48

Mine is about 20 yrs old, heavier than the newer ones I see out now. Practice makes perfect. I use it about once a year just to know I still can, or in this case uncan.
My honey has is Dads WW2 issue on his keys as well. He hadn't used it in awhile, so I challenged him to see who would get their can open. He beat me because of hand strength of course, but he liked that we sharpened the skills.

edit on 28-9-2011 by SunflowerStar because: sp

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Its not Cody - but here is a guy doing the technique using a tuna can and a concrete block..

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunflowerStar
reply to post by Redwing48

Mine is about 20 yrs old, heavier than the newer ones I see out now. Practice makes perfect. I use it about once a year just to know I still can, or in this case uncan.
My honey has is Dads WW2 issue on his keys as well. He hadn't used it in awhile, so I challenged him to see who would get their can open. He beat me because of hand strength of course, but he liked that we sharpened the skills.

edit on 28-9-2011 by SunflowerStar because: sp

Close honey, dad's was from 1955. When he was in the Navy. I have it now on my key ring. Plus two Swiss army( the real ones) knifes that I wear to work every day.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Sorry, I live in the country. I can't carry a sidewalk with me or even a concrete block. I prefer in desending order: a postage-stamp-sized old-style GI can opener (fit on dogtag chain, nifty and compact), the little, conventional camping-type can opener that doesn't have the long (and weighty) handles or any knife.

If you don't have any of the above, especially the knife, then you are dead already, certainly not in any way shape or form a survivialist. What's that old saying from the insurance company/: "Don't leave home without it."

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by oldshooter1979

Opps, wrong decade. Sorry about that, well I was close.

The P-38 is the military issue for opening rations cans.

Just remember to check your expiration dates and use the rotation system when you replace your stores. A habit old shooter and I have gotten into when we go to the grocery is to select about $5.00-10.00 worth of goods that have long expiration dates. Every time.

join