It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the secret chemicals put in fruits,vegetables and tobacco products harmful and deadly? Fda probl

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Fruits and vegetable have so many chemicals sprayed on them to keep them fresh and keep bugs off of them that it makes me sick just to think about it. Could these chemicals be harmful or even shorten lives just like the chemicals in cigarettes? People eat these things on a daily basis. People smoke cigarettes on a daily basis. Could eating the fruit and vegetables be just as bad as smoking tobacco products?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
If it was, I would be dead already. I'm still here. No conspiracy.

I eat fruits, vegetables and smoke.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by demonologist842012

NO.
I was a produce clerk for years, handling all kinds of produce from all over the world, treated lots of different ways and never exhibited any sign of anything besides my known respiratory allergy to molds.
You need to learn about the stuff put on our food and how it's all handled. Most stuff is water soluble, so will come off almost completely with a simple rinse. Things that are not, are all food-grade, meaning not harmful if ingested. This goes with the non-organic varieties.
Then you have to consider how you prepare and eat the food. Something with a thick skin that is peeled, you are throwing anything away with the trash. Remember fertilizers and pesticides are not for the consumable part, it's for the plant. So eating leafy products, I choose organic when available. I also purchase organic citrus when I am using the peel. I also peel apples which are shellaced (food-grade) and cucumbers (which are oiled or waxed to hold in the moisture.)
We would have few if any bananas North America, pineapples, or grapes without modern farming, and little if any of anything all winter long.
And eating anything puts it on a very different form of transmission to the body, unlike smoking, which delivers the chemicals directly to the blood in the lungs. So unless you are smoking your fruit and vegetable peels and plants, you are way off on your theory.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

Haha i wasnt actually saying it was a theory. I have just heard that the chemicals put in fruit and vegetabes were harmful to the body and who doesnt know that tobacco smoke is harmful. I would hope no one is trying to smoke their fruit or vegetables.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Well smoking, pesticides, and herbicides are known carcinogens.

Of course you have to go by exact pesticide chemical etc.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by demonologist842012

Although i have heard of people smoking green peanuts to get high. When i say green i mean when they come right out of the ground.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Many people don't eat fruit and vegetables everyday. They should, but they don't.

The chemicals added to cigarettes aren't a secret. And the ones added to fruits and vegetables probably aren't secret either. I'm not saying they aren't harmful, just they aren't secrets. So why don't you find out what they are, and look up the safety data sheet for said chemicals.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by demonologist842012
reply to post by stars15k

I would hope no one is trying to smoke their fruit or vegetables.

You hoped wrong

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
A vegetable or fruits skin usually doesn't protect it from absorbing toxic herbicides or pesticides. Just because you worked with them doesn't mean you get sick immediately after. Usually it is 30-50 years down the road for carcinogens to develop cancer.

For example, my grandfather worked at a GM plant and was exposed to Benzene when he was in his 20s. He then developed Leukemia 40 years after his initial exposure. He would have told you that Benzene caused him no ill effects when he was 25..but that wasn't true.

Here is an article on the topic.
The Environmental Working group's 2010 study detected 64 different pesticides on celery. Unlike some fruits and vegetables, celery has no tough outer skin to protect it from absorbing all those chemicals

Read more: www.livestrong.com...

edit on 9/28/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

If it was, I would be dead already. I'm still here. No conspiracy.

I eat fruits, vegetables and smoke.

I am no scientist but i would guess that this doesn’t qualify as a valid field test or analysis of the effect of pesticides and tobacco

Pesticides are designed to kill small biological creatures... We are large biological creatures... does it not stand to reason that, over time, these chemicals can have a negative effect on us??

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

star for you. I do the same thing lol.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Pesticides are definitely dangerous. Wash your fruit, then worry about the real problem, genetic modification preventing poison from killing the fruits and vegetables. If the plant can survive the chemical that kills how well can we digest it and what effect do these modifications have? I know how healthy an apply is by that old adage, but I don't know how healthy a monsanto apple is.

new topics

top topics

join