It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greek and Turkish F-16s had 3 engagements over the Aegan sea today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Well it's heating up.

Engagements with Turkish F-16s in the Aegean

Three engagements between Greek and Turkish F-16 fighter jets occurred over the Aegean Sea on Wednesday, for the first time in the last months.

Today, Turkish pilots did not change their course after being intercepted and identified by Greek pilots, leading to engagements. One of them took place west of Lesbos while two more took place between Lesbos and Chios.

A total of 12 Turkish military aircraft entered the Athens FIR without having previously submitted flight plans. Eight of them were armed.

It's kind of a shock to me that Greece, being totally bankrupt, still has an air force.

This little provocation is probably linked to the current Cyprus-Turkey tension and this :
Defence Minister to visit Cyprus

Greek National Defence Minister Panos Beglitis will pay a one-day official visit to Cyprus on October 1, it was announced here on Wednesday.

And a few more news in the Cyprus-Turkey dispute :
Israel asks airbase in exchange for air defense

According to the news website OnlyCy, the Israeli government reportedly asked the Cypriot permission to use the “Andreas Papandreou” airbase in Paphos in exchange for ensuring the air defense of the Republic and changing the military balance in the region.

The Israeli proposal is a significant upgrade of military relations between Israel and Cyprus, and certainly any decision taken by the Cypriot government will change the military balance in Cyprus.

Very dangerous move, if approved.

Turkish ships are coming and going from “block 12”

From the early morning hours of Tuesday, the Turkish research vessel “Piri Reis” along with two Turkish warships, come and go from block No12, located at the sea area where on behalf of the Cypriot government the U.S. company “Noble Energy International” is carrying out research to locate gas.

“Piri Reis” is closely followed by the Turkish frigate “Giresun” and corvette “Bartin”.

At this time the boats are moving in the boundaries of block No12 engaging in a war of nerves.

Warships of the United States, Russia and Great Britain are also present in the eastern Mediterranean Sea. According to information at protothema.gr, the “Monterey” American frigate is sailing about 100 miles from the drilling platform, while a British and a Russian warship are also in the area.

Can you say powder keg? And what the hell is Turkey doing near Block 12? Block 12 is SOUTH of Cyprus! Turkey has no right to claim it as it's own!

Map of where block 12 is:

More details (if you believe that source)
Turkish fighters invade Greek air space, Greek fighters to the rescue

From Greece it was reported that two F-16’s from 341M in N. Anchialos and two 330m from South Anchialos - "Keryanos" and a Mirage 2000-5 from 331M were called to action and were challenged with what defencenet just said a very heated tough situation. So much so, that the pilots did not stop until the fighters ran out of fuel.

The dogfight began when a Turkish fighter from Balıkesir attempted to hook a shot parameters missile AIM-120 at the Greek fighters. The outcome of the aerialdogfight is predictable. Ultimately the Greek air force was able to seize full control of Hellenic airspace, even though they were caught off guard by the Turkish fighters, and were capable enough of surprising the opposite side who did not expect this aggressive reaction.

edit on 28-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

They do but he's a very busy man...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Things are certainly heating up.
Apparently things are worse since I saw the last post on here about Turk - Greek tensions rising.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
dude... this situation is maddddd sketch. I bet the allies are just waiting for SHTF between those countries so they can be all like, FIEYAAA!!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Fake news. I don't even need to tell why. You should know yourself.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Its not fake news sadly its the reality on whats happening
and its not a pretty sight.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Sadly i am seeing more and more sings of a world war coming up, Libya will soon have its own civil war once people in libya will be sick of seeing NATO jet fighters everyday, i would bet the russians are also planning something, just like america is planning an invasion on Iran and Russia in the near future, at least thats how i see it sadly

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
It's kind of a shock to me that Greece, being totally bankrupt, still has an air force.

Why shocked?
Greece is supposed to do what with those jets?
Pawn them? Of course they have an Air Force.

I say nothing will come of this.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I wonder if they were testing response times so they can scare the drilling away? ONE spark will set off a HUGE war, think about all the countries who hate each other now? Well the LEADERS hate each other. So we have to suffer because of ego's and silly situations. Oil? We all use it. If it's a contested area split it 50/50, have one country work nights and one work days.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Nothing new here , this has been going on for 20 years or more perhaps .
Just another day in the Aegean Seas .

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Don't panic!!!!

Turkish and Greek jets are frequently bumping into each other over the Aegean Sea, where both nations continue to argue ownership and rights. These fake dogfights are why Greek and Turkish pilots are quite well trained.

The Greek press will complain the Turks have infringed sovereign airspace, and the Turks will do the same. The story will go away and then reappear. Then (God forbid) someone unfamiliar with this larking around will put two and two together and report the workld is on the brink of WW£, just like (ahem) the OP.

Of course, on a serious note the Turks and Greeks have nearly taken the gloves off and missiles have been loosed on occasion, but I should not think either nations would go all the way and allow a serious incident to become uncontrolled.

I could not be arsed to create the links, but go to YouTube and look for Turkish/Greece dogfights. There is some amazing flying!

Regards

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I would not be particularly worried. This is a tradition over there.

A family friend told me about their vacation to greece many many years ago, they wake up to low flying jets roaring over the hotel, when they get out to the balcony they see 5 turkish warships parked in the middle of the sea between turkey and greece.

They run to the reception panicking a war has started, but the receptionist laughs at it and says not to worry about it, it happens quite frequently.

So they went back and watched the jets fly over the boats for some time and then the boats turned back.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Here is an example of a usual greek-turk dogfight.

Notice how the greek pilot doesn't attack the turkish pilot when he had a lock.
Take these dogfights as unofficial training exercises.
edit on 28-9-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Yep its heating up alright. I figured as much was going to happen. The oil found there is going to be a thorn in everyone's side. Israel moving their fighters to the airbase on cyprus is a sign of war about to ensue. When you know a war is about to break out you spread your air forces and ground forces out so they cant all be taken out at one time and insures that you have multiple attack vectors. The turkish warships moving in on sector 12 is a red flag going up that Turkey might be positioning for something.

U.S., Birttish, and Russia warships all in the area, on the same day that Iranian subs have been detected near U.S. coastal waters doesn't bode well at all. This is definately a powder keg that could end up exploding and i bet it will. Something is going t happen because Israel doesnit like it when other countries make moves that are threatening in nature. All this ontop of the heated debate over Palestinian statehood is setting the stage for armageddon.
edit on 28-9-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
Don't panic!!!!

Turkish and Greek jets are frequently bumping into each other over the Aegean Sea, where both nations continue to argue ownership and rights. These fake dogfights are why Greek and Turkish pilots are quite well trained.

The Greek press will complain the Turks have infringed sovereign airspace, and the Turks will do the same. The story will go away and then reappear. Then (God forbid) someone unfamiliar with this larking around will put two and two together and report the workld is on the brink of WW£, just like (ahem) the OP.

Of course, on a serious note the Turks and Greeks have nearly taken the gloves off and missiles have been loosed on occasion, but I should not think either nations would go all the way and allow a serious incident to become uncontrolled.

I could not be arsed to create the links, but go to YouTube and look for Turkish/Greece dogfights. There is some amazing flying!

Regards

Dude, yoour forgetting one major key factor. This is the human race youre talking about. Tempers will flare, and missles will fly and more templers will flare and yet more armaments will be loosed. Nothing gets your message across nearly as well as killing a few people. Once the dying starts there will be no mistaking whose intentions are what and then it will be war.

I say their overdue for a war in the middle east/mediteranean, tensions have been building like the pressure inside of the geyser "Old Faithful" and this geyser will certainly blow up. Iraq and Afghanistan are doing thier little deals, some other countries are bound to step up to the plate and take a swing or two. The nature of men, they get angry and when they do fists will fly, or as in this case missles and .50 calibre bullets.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

America has plans to invade Russia? Is there a thread? Seems a little farfetched, personally, I don't think we have the manpower to do it. They're tougher than Americans, and there's more of them.

top topics

join