It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Regards" is a greeting; "in regard to" means "about" or "concerning"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I told myself if I read "in regards to" one more time I'd go insane. It happened, and now I'm certifiably insane.

As the subject indicates, "regards" (with an "s" on the end) is used in the sense of a greeting: As in "my regards to," or "send my regards."

The grammatically correct but unnecessary "in regard to" or "with regard to" used to introduce a subject can easily be replaced with the much shorter and less easily misused "concerning" or "about"--or, for that matter, the much more compact "regarding." The longer but also acceptable "in respect to" would even be better.

Grammar Girl [link]

I see many dozens of grammatical misfires on this site daily, but that's the one that makes me go "Urk!" every time.

I've already seen all the responses that grammar (or, as most of you put it, "grammer") rants get. Don't bother. I'm not reading them....

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
I've already seen all the responses that grammar (or, as most of you put it, "grammer") rants get. Don't bother. I'm not reading them....

I'm not following you. Are you saying that you want people to replace "in regard to" with the similar meaning word "concerning" or "about" and stop using it? Isn't that a bit -- grammar Nazi? I guess it sucks to be you if you cannot get over the fact that some people type fast on message boards or come from a different place where English is a second or third language.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The correct response should be .........."With Reference Too"

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

I do not understand what this is in regards to.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
now I'm certifiably insane.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
this term is used commonly in the uk both ways.. i.e in regards to your thread... and signing of a letter for example,
kind regards
mr london.

i fail to see your point.. i don't really know if its 100% grammatically correct, maybe its a regional variation or a slang use of the word but it is widely used.. so i dont see the problem.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Dear OP - Please read a dictionary

re·gard noun ri-ˈgärd

Definition of REGARD
1: archaic : appearance
2: a : attention, consideration
- - b : a protective interest : care
3: look, gaze
4: a : the worth or estimation in which something or someone is held
- - b (1) : a feeling of respect and affection : esteem
- - - -(2) plural : friendly greetings implying such feeling
5: a basis of action or opinion : motive
6: an aspect to be taken into consideration : respect
7: obsolete : intention
— in regard to
: with respect to : concerning
— with regard to
: in regard to

Regards

~ Chaos
edit on 29-9-2011 by Forevever because: tweak

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I can follow most posts here with bad grammar no problem, the only ones that bug me are the text style ones with short forms.
As a previous poster noted, English is not universal and as long as we can follow the intent of the post I see no problems.
Lazy spelling hell yes that bugs me too, non intentional errors..........well we should give some slack there.
If your looking for perfect spelling why not check out the "Mensa Boards"?
Regards, Iwinder

new topics

top topics

join