It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Government NOAA Space Weather Agency WARNING Solar Storm Damage Earth Any Moment

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CharterZZ

michio kaku..lol!

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yes but that may explain why my sensitive 12 yro told me he was experiencing fluctuations of dizziness, he really could not explain what it felt like but that was as close as he could get. I said dehydration, he said "no" that he had been drinking tons of water. That it came in waves that lasted a few seconds each time.

It is clear that there are people who are more sensitive to these kinds of storms. It changes nothing, but true none the less. Do you see a carrington type event happening during this solar cycle? If not how long before we see something of that magnitude? I got carrington right right? Back in 18oo's the geomagnetic storm that caused disruptions.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Do you see a carrington type event happening during this solar cycle? If not how long before we see something of that magnitude?
No way of knowing. A similar event could happen in two weeks, two years or not for 200 years.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Wow, that is about as doomish as I have ever seen you write...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I want to bang my head against the wall, seeing that we have done so little to harden our grid against solar flares. I suppose it will take getting knocked on our ass by a strong geomagnetic storm to get people do anything about it.

This might be why:

Scientist to politician: "Sir, if this happens it would knock out power for months, maybe even years to a substantial portion of the world. We need to harden our grid now."

Politician to scientist: "So, you're not even sure if this will happen anytime soon, and you want me to justify 1 billion dollars of spending for some apocalyptic event that might never happen?"

And that folks, is why our grid is still vulnerable to strong geomagnetic storms, because modern vision is 5 minutes instead of 5 years.

Granted, estimates from ice core samples indicate that Carrington-type events happen on the average to every 500 years, but the truth is that we don't really know when the next one will come.

And that's if we even need a storm that strong to knock out transformers. You would probably have substantial damage from a storm half the strength of the Carrington Event. These happen much more often, as in 1921, 1960, and 1989.

The 1989 storm knocked out power in Quebec for 9 hours, and prompted the government and industry to harden the grid. We didn't learn in the US, and are even more vulnerable nowadays because of the length of contiguous high-voltage power lines spanning the country.

So, as I bang my head against the wall once again, I ask... will someone get me an ice pack?
edit on 3-10-2012 by windowpane because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by windowpane

I want to bang my head against the wall, seeing that we have done so little to harden our grid against solar flares.

Solar flares don't cause problems with the grid. Geomagnetic storms caused by CMEs do.

Scientist to politician: "Sir, if this happens it would knock out power for months, maybe even years to a substantial portion of the world. We need to harden our grid now."

Politician to scientist: "So, you're not even sure if this will happen anytime soon, and you want me to justify 1 billion dollars of spending for some apocalyptic event that might never happen?"

The problem is most electrical transmission the pervue of private companies (in the US, with some government oversight). The politicians don't have a lot of say in the matter because the government doesn't have anything to do with building or maintaining the grid.

But what makes you think nothing is being done?
www.nerc.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Right, I knew that, technicality in terminology.

Maybe I phrased it the wrong way, not enough is being done, and not quickly enough for the scope of the threat CMEs and geomagnetic storms pose.

Edit: This document is awesome, will read through it when I've got some time. Thanks.
edit on 3-10-2012 by windowpane because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join