It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud "BOOM" Reported Across Laclede County

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
www.kspr.com...

Fort Leonard Wood answered numerous calls today (9-27) about a loud boom that was heard around 9:30 throughout Laclede County. According to Jeff Maddy, PIO for the Fort, some people even reported hearing it in Greene County.

One woman who emailed KSPR News said "it knocked the dust off the rafters where i work. Thunder doesn't do that!"

Another person tells KSPR News the owner of the Willard Quarry outside Lebanon told him the sound was not the result of any blasting.

Fort Leonard Wood has a cannon range on the west side of the post. It's used often by the Missouri Air National Guard for bombing practice.

"They use no live ammunition," Maddy said. "Just sacks of flour and things like that to mark the drop." Maddy said some people suggested it was a sonic boom, the sound made by a plane that breaks the sound barrier.

Another loud 'boom' story.

I had another thread I made about the same sort of noise being heard during the tropical storm on the East Coast. Same kind of events that were described in it though.

So is this just a plane? I thought the military was not to break the sound barrier near homes...although I really have no idea. I just find it peculiar that there has been many recent reporting of booms heard lately.

Any thoughts?

Pred...
edit on 28-9-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I live in Kansas City,Mo and for 10 years have heard loud booms every 3 months to a year. It is something that unnerves me since we have a high crime rate. I called the airport an they told me they fire pryotechnics to scare off birds. The guy sort of laughed like I would be a fool to believe him. I reported an incident on ats about some lou booms that shook my apartment. My theory is either plate tectonic activity; the earth is changing an moving or they are building underground bunkers for some type of diaster. They do it over a long period of time to aviod suspiousion.
edit on 28-9-2011 by dreamseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
A facility I used to visit quite often was about an hour north of St Louis. Every once in a while we would hear a large BOOM and I would about piss my pants ... the facility being a pesticide plant ... and run outside looking for an explosion. Turns out it was always the Missouri ANG going sonic at low altitude.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
These booms you hear may become more common in various cities as more and more people's heads explode as they begin to realize that an Obama second term may actually happen.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

I thought the military was not allowed to break the sound barrier close to the ground or in the vicinity of a town or city? Am I wrong?

Pred...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I heard one at Soulard Market in St. Louis City today about 1:45 PM. It was muffled and far off, but people were commenting how concussive it was

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I think it's only discouraged, not prohibited.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Oh ok, that makes more sense. I don't think they should be allowed to though, it's a loud noise and freaks people out.

I remember being at an airshow, walking back to the vehicle in the parking lot and the blue angels flew over our heads only about 75 feet or so, and well everyone flew on the ground and covered their heads. It was super loud and really was unbelievably loud. I'll never forget the looks on people's faces, it was priceless.

It was a change your pants moment.

Pred...

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Just a quick update...

FAA Unsure of Source of SONIC BOOM Over Laclede County

articles.kspr.com...

We're learning more about the source of the loud boom over Laclede county Tuesday morning.

Working with our radio partner KJEL in Lebanon, KSPR News has ruled out military training from Whiteman Air Force Base, Fort Leonard Wood's cannon range and the Air National Guard.

Boeing aircraft would only supply the following statement:

Supersonic flight is a requirement for us to fulfill our contract with the United States government to provide important products for the defense of our country. The location and time of those infrequent supersonic flights are directed and approved by government authorities, and Boeing is compliant with this direction. If there is damage to property as a result of these flights, we ask that residents contact Boeing representative Pat Frost at 314-234-6996.

Well, I think this rules out the ideas of a sonic boom being the culprit.

As goes with most of these booms we have been hearing about.

Pred...

top topics

join