It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyones Cat Freaking out? [update]

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by dudeguyman

My cat is freaking out right now, because he's getting neutered! Poor guy!
Meeeeoooouch!
Everyone project some love for Waldo

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I appreciate the flicks, Mike4. You really took some time and care posting that to me. :-) Demonstrates a real feeling of concern for your fellow man. You're a rare good egg.

Hey, what does the big black dot represent at 7:04 in the forth installment illustrated just off the Oregon coast between Salem and Corvallis? I can't find any historical reports of any earthquakes happening there in ole Google.

Loved seeing the parts in and around Newport. I recognized the seagull sitting on a fencepost located along the Nye Beach wayside separating the parking lot and the beach, and later the CG work of a tsunami coming in at the Devil's Punch Bowl off the the right, Otter Crest area which is a dormant volcano btw which would not be there if there was no subduction zone.

Me personally, I live on sand where the water-table is just a few feet below me. My place would collapse and I would be pinned. Just hope I'm knocked out from the falling roof if we ever do have a mega quake while I'm living here. I have a real fear of drowning. I really don't want to go that way. :-(

I believe the Universe recreates itself again and again, and that we all live our same live exactly in the same sequence of events over and over again. So I have no fear of death. No? What are the odds that we are all alive and conscious living our own individual lives? A Googolplex to one. Somewhat higher odds for a mega quake happening where I live in the next few seconds though. :-( It's a predeterminate fact whenever it happens since chaos theory is bunk. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed so each life cycle of the Universe is equal and the same down to every minute detail, even the next Cascadia megathrust quake right down to the location of each grain of displaced sand caused from it. So as long as I don't drown, I'll be fine.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Follow Dutchsince's thread on Youtube. www.youtube.com.../u/11/ak8nRebWYB4

He follows earth weather and earthquakes nearly daily.

You are on the North American Craton which is an unsubducted plate. It is having hundreds of smaller earthquakes plus a few larger ones. Also you aren't that far from Mt. St. Hellen's and that to is having volcanic activity.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

Glad to be of service.
As I said, we're all people and we need to care about each other.

Regarding your query:

Hey, what does the big black dot represent at 7:04 in the forth installment illustrated just off the Oregon coast between Salem and Corvallis? I can't find any historical reports of any earthquakes happening there in ole Google.

Okay, here's a snapshot of that moment in the video. (MediaplayerClassic is handy for stuff like this.

I don't think that black dot represents a quake. Much more likely it's a "spoof" location for a seismo station. (Sometimes the locations on the maps are not precise, hence the term "spoof location".) There are a lot of such stations throughout the region and many of them are easily accessible to the public online.

To give you an idea, here's a screen shot of the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network's page that shows their seismo station locations. (Click on the thumbnail to see the full-sized pic):

If you'd like to get more info about the PNSN, just go to this page to have a play with the interactive map (as you can click on the seismo stations to bring up the current seismographs), or go here for their home page.

Organizations like the PNSN and the SCEDC (Southern Cal Earthquake and Data Center) all work together and with the USGS (here's the USGS page for Oregon Earthquake Information) to share and collate data and knowledge, in order to track what's going on as best they can.

If you bookmark sites like the USGS world quake map page you'll have much more reliable info than most news media will give you -- and a lot faster. Sure, they ain't perfect, but there's a lot of good data there.

On the subject of the risks of living where you do, first I'd say that the next big quake and tsunami could be a lonnng time off. But in case it happens, provided you can get away from your home and up into the nearby hills you'd likely be okay.

It looks like a beautiful spot and I hope it stays that way for many years to come.

Best regards,
Mike

edit on 29/9/11 by JustMike because: I forget. I hope it was important.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JJDoggie84

awe to adorable, great replies from everyone, just wish everyone is putting down there location

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Thank you mike for being on this thread love all your posts good sir

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Yeah, he totally is freaking out like I haven't seen him do in a long time.

uhm...

wait...

I just gave him catnip.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Like someone else said, welcome fellow Oregonian haha. Anyways, my pets have been pretty normal. Although normal for my dog is always freaking but hey it is what it is

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Awesome information. I had a fun time looking through the seismic sheets in the link pnsn.org you provided. As far as getting up hill and being safe in my particular location there is not a chance. Bedrock and then several feet of sand with a water table just a few feet below the surface running down to bedrock. Any sizable quake would shake everything smooth to bay level. That means where I live everyone will sink into the sand inside their collapsed homes. Those outside will be burred alive just the same. Those who aren't will not be able to navigate through the debris in order to reach high ground if a quake happens directly off our coastline. In the vid they said a around a half hour lead time between the quake and the tsunami, it's actually 8 minutes to a half hour depending on where the rupture is, if the entire fault rips then it's definitely just 8 minutes
See how close to some fault lines I am en.wikipedia.org...:Cascadia_subduction_zone_USGS.png

I was wondering what you thought of this theory. There seems to be a rhythm to the quake spans. A mega quake happening several hundred years apart from the previous one then two quakes happening within just a few hundred years. After that the cycle repeats itself.

This is the estimated history of tsunamis occurring along the Pacific NW coastline based on coastal geology, inland sand deposits according to two different studies. One conducted in 2003 and the other in 2005. .

Great Earthquakes-estimated year----interval
(years)

Most recent...........1700 (NS)..................780

2005 study-----------2003 study
780-1190 CE........880-960 CE............210
690-730 CE..........550-750 CE............330
350-420 CE..........250-320......................910
660-440 BCE .......610-450 BCE..........400
980-890 BCE........910-780 BCE..........250
1440-1340 BCE..1150-1220 BCE........unknown

edit on 30-9-2011 by LilDudeissocool because: straightened out data columns

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
PS

en.wikipedia.org...

There could be a relation to Pacific NW subduction quakes occurring in Japan. A type of tectonic back pressure where after a quake occurs on one side of the Pacific plate it becomes temporarily locked, and all the pressure is then shifted to the other side. The 869 Japaneses quake is similar to the one that just happened. It's also in the same estimated widow of a Pacific NW quake.

Just some fun food theory for thought.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

Okay, here's a snapshot of that moment in the video. (MediaplayerClassic is handy for stuff like this.

Hey did you notice that whoever made that map spelled Corvallis wrong?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

hey! i'm in s.w. n.m. and have a few pups who have been a bit skiddish lately. we've had some pretty intense thunder storms in the past week or two, one even had ear marks of a mid-west storm which spawn tornados. there does seem to be a strange vibe in our weather here. there are numerous hot spots in this region concerning possible geological activity.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I have three cats that have never ever acted they way they have these past few days. In fact I started a thread with a specific request for folks that may be in my area (60 miles north of St Louis). I received comments from everything from profanity to sarcasm. And also a few very good ideas. None of which helped. they are still acting very odd indeed. If you would like to see the comments of some of the posters on thread you can look
here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I seen no rhyme or reason to their behavior. I don't see any unusual activity on the New Madrid fault line, and even the Solar Activity doens't seem to severe now. I just don't get it
DH

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by dudeguyman
My cat has been on edge for a week now, everyone knows that cats, dogs, etc etc know when an earthquake is about to hit... but mine has been freaking out for a week, so a major one is going to happen? idk anyone else, put your location down...

Im in Oregon

my cat is just tripping so bad it is getting almost irritating, but like any sudden movement will send him bolting for cover, and/ or he will just meow profusely looking up at the celing and corners of my house, and just a second ago he looked out the glass door and meowed than bolted for the kitchen, he will freak out sometimes so bad than relax a second later, im so confused, WTF. anyone else? and location, i live in oregon
edit on 20-10-2011 by dudeguyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

My cat has been on edge for a week now, everyone knows that cats, dogs, etc etc know when an earthquake is about to hit... but mine has been freaking out for a week, so a major one is going to happen? idk anyone else, put your location down...

Im in Oregon

my cat is just tripping so bad it is getting almost irritating, but like any sudden movement will send him bolting for cover, and/ or he will just meow profusely looking up at the celing and corners of my house, and just a second ago he looked out the glass door and meowed than bolted for the kitchen, he will freak out sometimes so bad than relax a second later, im so confused, WTF. anyone else? and location

Are you anywhere close to South Texas? They had a 4.7 a couple hours ago. Maybe your cat has some ESP and has sensed this one coming.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by lyons666

no i am not i live in oregon, i think he is a very connected cat, hes very very talkative, you can almost have a conversation with him, so i honestly think he is connected to the world better than most cats, maybe he did sense it even from up here in oregon, its just been nonstop though so i dont know what to think anymore, its kinda creepy.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Oregon had one not too long ago, which was weird. Did you feel that one? Maybe your cat is still just weirded out by that movement.
Its good to pay attention to the animals, especially our pets. The can be very sensitive. Im in East Texas, and having a quake anywhere here is freaky, although my min poodle has not acted weird lately.. I will be keeping an eye on him the next few days..lol Quakes make me uneasy, been through some in Cali.. Not fun..

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

never have been in an earthquake, i hear they are like being drunk, like u can barley walk in them, but i didnt feel the one your talking about how big was it?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I think it was a 5.9 originally but it looks as thought has been downgraded a bit.

earthquake.usgs.gov... 68ex.php#details

Also her is a link to check out and see daily quakes all over..

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

edit on 20-10-2011 by lyons666 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2011 by lyons666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Sorry i couldnt get the first link to work but here is what was on it..(about the quake in oregon)

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 at 08:13:59 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 43.440°N, 127.155°W
Depth 10.3 km (6.4 miles)
Region OFF THE COAST OF OREGON
Distances 233 km (144 miles) W of Coos Bay, Oregon
277 km (172 miles) WSW of Newport, Oregon
277 km (172 miles) NW of Brookings, Oregon
365 km (226 miles) WSW of SALEM, Oregon
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 13.2 km (8.2 miles); depth +/- 2.7 km (1.7 miles)
Parameters NST=391, Nph=392, Dmin=238.2 km, Rmss=1.13 sec, Gp= 79°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=D
Source

Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc00068ex

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join