It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beans and Rice: Diri ak Pwa: Arroz y Habas: or Feijão com Arroz

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by radosta

Most often I just mix in a little Red Chili Powder
this comes in hot, Hotter... and ...."OH MY GOD WHAT WAS THAT....

As always DaddyBare, your threads are awesome. Long time rice fan here anyway...

Ha, the last sort of chili powder reminds me of a chili sauce I had sent to me from someone in the US, I cannot recall the name, but it was a tiny little bottle with a BIG warning label on it, not to give to infants or the elderly. Ha, it could melt steel I'm sure.

Hehe the funny thing about your recipes in the OP tho, remind me of the old recipe for Stone soup. I forget the story but the gist of it was;

A poor man had nothing to eat, and a stranger came along and told him he could make a delicious meal with just a stone. Perplexed the hungry man asked for this recipe.

As it goes, the stranger got a pot of boiling water and placed the stone into it.

"Hmm, perhaps with a potato, it would be a little better," he said. he hungry man found a raw potato and put it in the pot.

"An onion too, if there was one, would speed up the cooking." so the hungry man found an old dry onion in his cupboard and added it to the soup.

"Carrots. That would also go nicely in this." and so the hungry man found an old carrot and it too was added.

and this continued with other unconsidered leftover items the hungry man had around his kitchen.

By the end of the cooking, the hungry man saw that the stone soup was indeed wonderful, and he had never felt so full...

Rice and Beans..
with parsley, bacon, peppers, worcestershire sauce, polish sausage, onions, tomato paste, celery, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, etc..

Great thread though!!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Are you sure about that? It's starch, which I always use to thicken up a sauce with stock cubes or other flavourings after the rice is cooked.

The Japanese have been using it to make sake for... how old is sake?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I live in Brazil and they try to feed me this crap everyday...

Survival, maybe... normal day to day no freakin' way.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by nh_ee

FYI "Ya Teh" is the more common form....dropping the a in the middle... when saying howdy... We Apaches use the word "Ha'andah" kind of HiYa welcome or come in...

I think what he was referring to was to a slang word for ya'at'eeh, which is what we Navajos (Dine) say, when saying "howdy"..

FYI

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
holy frijoles, there's nothing like beans, so many different kinds, and each one has a different flavor.
and talk about ways to cook em, you could write whole cook books and still not cover them all.

some of my favorites

Adzuki Beans
Black Beans ( Frijoles Negros )
Black-eyed peas
Broad Beans (Fava Beans)
Butter Beans
Calico Beans
Cannellini Beans
Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
Edamame
Great Northern Beans ( Navy Beans )
Italian Beans
Kidney Beans
Lentils
Lima Beans
Mung Beans
Navy Beans
Pinto Beans
Split Peas
White Beans

then you cant forget pea's, there are about 5 or 10 of them that i love.

but beans hands down, when i was young growing up on the farm, the only way we had them was country style.
lima beans, buttuer beans, navy beans, black eye peas, cooked just to the point that the beans break down and make a thick sauce but there was still whole beans left, we would use hambones that still had big ol chunks of meat on them for seasoning, or neck bones, bacon, hamhocks, or sausage.served with corn bread or biscuits.

my folks weren't much for ethnic foods, so when i reached the age where i could do things on my own and go off to town by myself , i would eat at different type of restaurants, and i just fell in love with, red beans and rice, and refried beans, black beans and rice, matter of fact just about any bean dish was good to me.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Thanks for posting recipes. I have plenty of both stored up and wondered what to do with it all as I recycle out to be used. Nice ideas and thanks.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
beans and rice takes too long to cook properly and most people wouldnt have the patience to stew over a dish for 5+ hours in a tshtf scenario.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ausar
beans and rice takes too long to cook properly and most people wouldnt have the patience to stew over a dish for 5+ hours in a tshtf scenario.
True. This is exactly why I chose the uncle ben's mix. It is much faster, and tastes great with olive oil in place of butter.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunflowerStar
Question for you, please. In your Beans and Rice Mix, you had dried celery. Are you dehydrating your own or are able to buy it already dry?

Normally I dry my own...
but with the drought being so bad my garden never stood a chance so this year it'll be store bought...
I knew I should have planted a three sisters garden... then I'd have been okay...
with the bad growing season it's a darn good thing I still have a freezer full of deer meat

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
DB, I just have to say I love your posts, I've never replied to one but I do thoroughly enjoy reading them. You are a true teacher, brother

Nice to meet ya and very glad you decided to join us...
never be scared to jump in and speak your mind... we're all friends here... as long as you keep your hands off my Twinkies.... yeah Twinkies are survival food

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I love me some rice and beans.....yummy. It stores really well, puts meat on your bones and warms you up in the winter. If no meat is around to accompany it, take a fried egg (personally like over easy) or two and wahla you have a complete meal that will keep hunger at bay for several hours. Rice give you carbs, beans give you fiber and micro nutrients and eggs are a powerhouse of necessary vitamins, minerals and protein.

Originally posted by Ausar

How so? When cooking rice and beans the only thing that would take long is the beans and that depends on how you cook it. There are the cheap do it your self beans and there are the canned versions. If you don't have patience for the do it yourself, stack up on some cans. The canned beans shouldn't take more than 15-30 minutes tops to cook. If you want the do it yourself type, you can soak them overnight which is an alternative to slow simmer of a few hours (which you most likely referred to).

Rice shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes to cook, and if not then you are doing it wrong. Also you can cook in one sitting 2-3 days worth of food (if you have electricity).
edit on 29-9-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
We use beans and rice a lot. One thing I have discovered while cooking the beans is if you add baking soda (a teaspoon at a time, let it bubble up, add another teaspoon... depending on how many beans you are cooking), it will take out the gasses that make everyone miserable later

Be careful not to add too much though, while it won't hurt you at all, it may start to taste a little bit weird!

Also here is a great link to check out, maybe a little off topic but great ideas.

pioneerliving.net...
edit on 29-9-2011 by freespirit1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

interesting "freespirit1":How much baking soda total?

The gas comes from the bacteria in your("our") colons processing sugars for their own food.The baking soda must do something to the natural starches and sugars in the bean(?)

Thanks for the thread "Daddy bare":
Love me some red beans and rice(and cholulo brand hot sauce)! (Its the main staple in my 5gallon bucket "pantry").
Makeit up and Just toss it into a burrito wrapper ( flour tortilla) topped with cheese.

ADDED: Thread starred flagged and recipes printed out for my binder.Mucho gracias!!!

edit on 29-9-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-9-2011 by 46ACE because: spelling errors./added...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

I usually make a huge pot of beans, and it takes about 3-4 times of letting it bubble up after adding a teaspoon at a time.

Baking soda (or sodium bicarbonate) has so many healthful uses, so I'm sure that's why

I'm not going to list the uses here, but do some research and you will see.
edit on 29-9-2011 by freespirit1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
An absolute must in our kitchen is Sofrito. Goes into every Beans and Rice dish pretty much

Sofrito
Red peppers
Green peppers
Cuban peppers
sweet chili peppers
cilantro
Culantro (broad leaf cousin of cilantro),
onions
garlic
olive oil

Use a Food processor to puree. To store freeze in containers. I use old Margarine containers.

Used generously to season just about everything...soups, stews, beans, rice, meats, spaghetti sauce
edit on 30-9-2011 by IslandGirl because: addition

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by IslandGirl

Sofrito is delicious, and goes hand and hand with Sazon and adobo, two great seasonings. Definitely a staple in Latin islands, as well as the Caribbean.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join