It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IDEA: mouse over snippet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
like in the tittle i would love to see snippets of the OP's on mouse over like lets hover for 3-4sec and see a "cloud" with first few sentences.

what ya all think .. i know its doable in JS + ajax

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Great idea. I've always wondered why ATS doesn't have this - a lot of other sites I visit regularly do. It saves time, and reduces click-throughs or page views when the post's first few sentences are not all that appealing. Would make posters think a bit more about their opening, yes?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
As long as the snippets popup doesn't come with an advertisement I think it's a neat idea.

A great addition to browsing "MyATS" which is where I always start round here.

The same for member profiles would be cool too. Would save opening tabs and windows. Just a little popup with the basic stuff would be great.

Nice idea. Can't wait to see what response this gets from staff and/or owners.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I love this idea. My dog board has this feature. Sometimes the title of a thread doesn't reflect the contents, but a look at the first line lets me know if I've opened it and read it before. It's a handy feature.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Ditto, love the idea.

However [just a thought] ATS is tracking thread clicks, for a variety of reasons, then this would interfere with the stats. no? What would be the repercussion? An apparent drop in traffic, which wouldn't look good, ( because people would have the opportunity to bypass threads they didn't find interesting after a hover-view, instead of clicking first and then backing out...

edit on 28-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
because people would have the opportunity to bypass threads they didn't find interesting after a hover-view, instead of clicking first and then backing out...

At last, a way to claw back all those lost moments from reading all the cruddy, wacko, fanatical and time wasting threads we've had to suffer.

It's a lot less bover with a hover.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I remember this was addressed a few years ago - somebody asked the same question. I think the reason why they don't had something to do with server load ie. the mouse-overs added extra load to the servers that they couldn't justify.

I could be wrong though. I would love this feature.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
well yeah it stresses the dattabase more thats why there should be timer so it dosnt show up and query the sql on each pass of the mouse.

i have another question tho ..
why oh why the youtube embeded videos dont have full screen option (i know you set it up by swiches usin thier API) - do you get money for clicks to watch on youtube?

new topics

top topics

join