It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evacuation of smallest Canary Island begins after earthquake 'swarm' sparks fears of volcanic erup

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Evacuation of smallest Canary Island begins after earthquake 'swarm' sparks fears of volcanic eruption

Daily Mail Article

* 108 square mile island is home to 10,000 people
* More than 8,000 tremors have been recorded on island in the last two months
* Last eruption on El Hierro was in 1793 and lasted a month
* Residents put on standby for emergency evacuation over fears of landslides

A holiday island popular with Britons is preparing for a mass evacuation because of a possible volcanic eruption.

Experts have recorded 150 tremors on El Hierro, the smallest of the Canary Islands, since yesterday - raising fears of an imminent eruption.

Last night 53 people were ordered out of their homes over fears of landslides and the army has been called in to prepare for a possible evacuation.
edit on 28/9/2011 by nerbot because: fixed link

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Well, be a shame if those beautiful islands had a disaster. I've had a few memorable holidays over the years and would like to go back there soon.

What makes me laugh is the way the Daily Fail have reported this and the most popular comment after the article:

We live here on the island, we have not felt any tremors, we are not evacuating, nobody is panicking, life is normal here, the tremors are discussed but no one appears overly concerned. This year we have had these tremors since June, if one lives on a volcanic archipelago one can expect tremors and the occasional eruption. The government of the island are advising the populace to be calm and that is just what we are doing, it is a sunny summers day, the children are returning home from school, people are sunbathing and swimming in the sea. The only people dashing around like headless chickens are the press, looking to interview the odd seismologists. Popular here with British tourists? well they haven't arrived yet!

- Robert, Valverde, El Hierro,, 28/9/2011 17:33

MSM...what a joke!

Daily Fail Article
edit on 28/9/2011 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I like where they say in the article "under certain circumstances this could cause a tsunami on the US coast"
Anybody else think its fearmongering

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by fishman1985
I like where they say in the article "under certain circumstances this could cause a tsunami on the US coast"

Is there anything posted on ATS that ISN'T fearmongering?

Seriously, I'd bet over 90% of the content posted here is either fearmongering, sensationalism, or just completely made-up.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyTots

our two dollars is a coin not a bill...true story.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Not fearmongering. They are simply sowing the seeds for an excuse they will be using in the future.

"Seismic activity in the atlantic as the cause for the Tsunami."

st.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyTots

Seriously, I'd bet over 90% of the content posted here is either fearmongering, sensationalism, or just completely made-up.

You'd make that 90% bet having registered on the 15-8-2011?
(Let me guess, ''long time lurker'' aren't we all?)

If it's that big a problem for you.. leave. Then perhaps we'd have more people contributing to threads in a more informative way than just 'DOOM' and 'ANTIDOOM'

edit on 28-9-2011 by Deplume because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Is there a site that will show the quakes? USGS doesn't show any in N. Euro area.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by fishman1985

but they have saying that for atleast 20 years so its really not fearmongering just more of the same.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
nevermind, I found one.

www.emsc-csem.org...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com... le-again/

There is a swarm in the area,better to be safe than sorry IMO.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by favouriteslave
Is there a site that will show the quakes? USGS doesn't show any in N. Euro area.

Yes , try the RSOE EDIS Emergency and disaster service

It clearly indicates an earquake swarm around the island in question (Hierro):

Heres some info on the tsunami danger from the BBC's science website:

Scattered across the world’s oceans are a handful of rare geological time-bombs. Once unleashed they create an extraordinary phenomenon, a gigantic tidal wave, far bigger than any normal tsunami, able to cross oceans and ravage countries on the other side of the world. Only recently have scientists realised the next episode is likely to begin at the Canary Islands, off North Africa, where a wall of water will one day be created which will race across the entire Atlantic ocean at the speed of a jet airliner to devastate the east coast of the United States. America will have been struck by a mega-tsunami.

Back in 1953 two geologists travelled to a remote bay in Alaska looking for oil. They gradually realised that in the past the bay had been struck by huge waves, and wondered what could have possibly caused them. Five years later, they got their answer. In 1958 there was a landslide, in which a towering cliff collapsed into the bay, creating a wave half a kilometre high, higher than any skyscraper on Earth. The true destructive potential of landslide-generated tsunami, which scientists named "Mega-tsunami", suddenly began to be appreciated. If a modest-sized landslide in Alaska could create a wave of this size, what havoc could a really huge landslide cause?

Scientists now realise that the greatest danger comes from large volcanic islands, which are particularly prone to these massive landslides. Geologists began to look for evidence of past landslides on the sea bed, and what they saw astonished them. The sea floor around Hawaii, for instance, was covered with the remains of millions of years’ worth of ancient landslides, colossal in size.

But huge landslides and the mega-tsunami that they cause are extremely rare - the last one happened 4,000 years ago on the island of Réunion. The growing concern is that the ideal conditions for just such a landslide - and consequent mega-tsunami - now exist on the island of La Palma in the Canaries. In 1949 the southern volcano on the island erupted. During the eruption an enormous crack appeared across one side of the volcano, as the western half slipped a few metres towards the Atlantic before stopping in its tracks. Although the volcano presents no danger while it is quiescent, scientists believe the western flank will give way completely during some future eruption on the summit of the volcano. In other words, any time in the next few thousand years a huge section of southern La Palma, weighing 500 thousand million tonnes, will fall into the Atlantic ocean.

What will happen when the volcano on La Palma collapses? Scientists predict that it will generate a wave that will be almost inconceivably destructive, far bigger than anything ever witnessed in modern times. It will surge across the entire Atlantic in a matter of hours, engulfing the whole US east coast, sweeping away everything in its path up to 20km inland. Boston would be hit first, followed by New York, then all the way down the coast to Miami and the Caribbean.

Source BBC science

edit on 28-9-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Its the dM the source of this thread , not ats , to the rude person above . They'll have made some money out of the adverts on the page , and everybody wants up to date pictures if there is an eruption it means they can sell the story and the ads that go with it . And the pictures .

It s not like they are puttingthis story in the published paper sheets / hard copies

The comments at the bottom of the source page : lol they need to learn a thing or two by getting on ats

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyTots

Though you are right in some respects, the mention of a tsunami because of a landslide from the volcanic mountain on canary islands, has been an item of concern for Decades.

It does have a hell of a long way to travel soI think thre would be a 4+ hours window before it reaches the US but it is a real item of concern and not more planet x type fearmongering.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I will flag to keep a eye on this story. Those Islands are a ticking time bomb. I also see Etna making a display too. Do you people think it has got something to do with the solar storm we are having?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I am confused by your Thread.

You are calling the article you linked "The Daily Fail", when in fact it is called "Mail Online", and although the article confirms what the OP is describing, you pull a comment from the bottom of the page from someone claiming to be on the island of El Hierro reporting that this is not true.

Here is what confuses me, what part of this is "fail"? The obviously lost soul who claims to be on the island or the article itself?

Seriously! Because by the way you worded yourself saying "MSM...what a joke!" you make it sound like the article is falsifying information based on what one unknown commentator said. I know the commentator put a name and place there but who is to say that isn't some jerk plugging disinformation.

I went on a search and from what I can tell this is a fairly truthful article.

Here is AFP stating the same thing except indicating tourists not residents (which are residents if they are sleeping there for any extended time) AFP--Tourists Evacuated 09/28/11

Here is Earthquake Report 300 people have to evacuate--09/27/11

Here is Canaries News El Hierro earthquakes, Update-- 09/27/11

So please enlighten us as to what you believe is happening. Are you saying the Media is not telling us the truth based on one individuals posting on the "comments section" at the bottom of the page?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Thank you, but information on El Hierro was already started some days ago on ATS.
The data you have posted has been already written there...

Please, we very kindly ask you to add your comments to that thread.
ATS El Hierro

Thank you,
Regards,
Ptolomeo

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
What's with all the scared "omg its FEARMONGERING!" people on ATS lately? Most conspiracies are about dangerous or scary things, that's why they are covered up! If it really scares you that much may I suggest getting off ATS and go outside and get some fresh air, maybe look for rainbows and unicorns or something? I have never seen so many scared cowardly people in my life. And then they say "I am just trying to deny ignorance and help all the poor people that are going to be frightened by this thread!"

Please... the only frightened people are the ones crying about the "fearmongering."

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
I am confused by your Thread.

Yes, that could be true.

"The Daily Fail" is another name for "The Daily Mail" , the long running British newspaper. They are amatuerish in their reporting and that's where the slur comes from.

I put "The Daily Mail" for the main article link title because BB code for embedding was screwed up when I posted this and it needed an edit.

"Mail Online" is the portal as you say, but they are all part and parcel of the same organised crud factory.

This story about the Canary Islands earthquakes seems overinflated to me, the comments from the article reflect that.

Yes...a Daily Fail, because they are stupid to think we are so stupid.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ptolomeo

Rather than pretend to be a mod, why not actually read the article posted here.

You'd realise that it contains more up to date information and not just about the science but the people on the island. The thread article from the post you link to is also about 2 weeks old.

What does that tell us........"earthquake "swarm" sparks fears"?..........I say B.S.

Thanks for the link tho.

new topics

top topics

join