It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient lost city found....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+42 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Now here is a rather interesting story. I know many of you are like me and enjoy reading about these new discoveries. As always take it with a grain of salt, but who knows. It will be interesting to see what else they'll find in the area.

Stay tuned.

Ancient lost city found in the Dardanelles

A settlement area from the pre-historic period has been found in the Dardanelles, according to the head of Troy excavations, Associate Professor Rüstem Aslan.

“We have found a prehistoric settlement dating back to 5,000 B.C. But only 5 percent of the settlement exists,” said Aslan. The archaeology team examined the coast from the entrance of the Dardanelles to Çanakkale city center, he said. “The coastal excavations had been finished and we unearthed something unexpected around Bozköy.”

The settlement was 2,000 years older than Troy,

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
thats actually pretty cool...ive always really enjoyed learning more and more about our history and past....and this is just another step in the right direction...but it always makes me wonder if we stop finding cities towns or camps do we then what? if we go back and say we came from apes wont there be subtle hints along the way? i believe we descend from monkeys or w.e but it would be cool if they could finally say here is the proof along with fossils!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Yes, I love reading about new discoveries. It is a bit frustrating though that the excavations have been completed, yet there are no pictures. I also want to know if the site itself was what was unexpected, or did they find something unexpected?

Great find. Thank you!!!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Calex1987
thats actually pretty cool...ive always really enjoyed learning more and more about our history and past....and this is just another step in the right direction...but it always makes me wonder if we stop finding cities towns or camps do we then what? if we go back and say we came from apes wont there be subtle hints along the way? i believe we descend from monkeys or w.e but it would be cool if they could finally say here is the proof along with fossils!

Howdy

At some point based on the present theory and the evidence we have villages and towns should cease to be found and we will find smaller clan and family based groups, similar to the the surviving hunter-gathers of the present.

We appear to have evolved from a common ancestor of ourselves and the apes - we had lots of ancestors but it isn't completely clear which one lead directly to HSS and we had 'competitors' up until just before recorded history.

I would suspect this search above was for the elusive Greek camp of Homer fame - one of the key mysteries of the archaeology world

An interesting point in the article

“We know that almost all settlements older than 5,000 years ago were established on high plateaus.”

Man had learned to fear men and the sea

edit on 28/9/11 by Hanslune because: Added comment

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
“We have found a prehistoric settlement dating back to 5,000 B.C. But only 5 percent of the settlement exists,” said Aslan.

What does that even mean? If they've only excavated part of it, how can they know how big it really is?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Cool post OP

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Nice find, looking forwards to hearing more!

edit on 28/9/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I think that the history of civilization goes back much farther than we realize.

Every few months there is yet more evidence of cities being found that predate much of our understanding of history.

Interesting.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyTots
“We have found a prehistoric settlement dating back to 5,000 B.C. But only 5 percent of the settlement exists,” said Aslan.

What does that even mean? If they've only excavated part of it, how can they know how big it really is?

That's exactly my question as well. How do they know they have only excavated 5% of the site if they dont know how large the site really is?

With that said, Slayer, your threads rock! ATS is a better place with your presence.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Cool find Slayer!Yes im always captivated when they stumble on these things.5000 years old!Wow!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this Slayer. S&F as always.

I keep thinking as we find more and older sites, at some point, providing we have transparency, we're also going to find more and more that truly challenges our view of earth's history. And if the truth is known, we're all going to be surprised at what is eventually found.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

They may have mapped the underground contents using ground penetrating sonar.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Quite Nifty Salyer, S&F, you seem to find the neatest stuff
keep us updated if you hear anything

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Ancient lost city found in the Dardanelles

“The coastal excavations had been finished and we unearthed something unexpected around Bozköy.”

Was the 5% of the settlement unearthed the "unexpected" find? The way this reads, it leads me to believe that there was something else found that was "unexpected"... Sure would like to know what!

Thanks Slay, always a pleasure.

s&f

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Yukitup

Yeah that didn't make much sense to me either. This is going to be one of those wait and see deals. I hope there is more revealed soon.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Cool, getting ready to wahct the new season of Ancient Aliens, really love it when they talk about the giants.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Always enjoy your finds Slayer.

Sounds very interesting, so I'm on board!

Can't wait for things to develop.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I'm sorry guys/gals the link to the article seems to have gone kaplueee

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cf50a48fe379.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Hey! Check this out, very interesting, and I find it to be very relevant..
www.hermetics.org...

February 16, 2002 Surat, India - A month ago in mid-January, marine scientists in India announced they had sonar images of square and rectangular shapes about 130 feet down off the northwestern coast of India in the Gulf of Khambhat (Cambay). Not only are their sonar shapes with 90-degree angles, the Indian Minister of Science and Technology ordered that the site be dredged. What was found has surprised archaeologists around the world and was the subject of a private meeting two weeks ago attended by the Indian Minister in charge of investigating the underwater site about thirty miles off the coast from Surat.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Well, maybe you had the "unexpected find", my friend!

As in you weren't supposed to find that

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join