It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would NASA reveal a disaster or hide a disaster

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by centrifugal

i don't disagree. the only point i was making is that info is always being collected and processed.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
A doomsday event would be hidden. I do know that if a comet were headed straight for earth it's top secret information. If something were happening that would kill a lot of people, something like a 9.4 Cascadia earthquake + 200 ft. tsunami, that would not be hidden. So as the event becomes more world-wide it becomes more hush-hush.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Celestica
A doomsday event would be hidden. I do know that if a comet were headed straight for earth it's top secret information.

And how do you propose it would be kept a secret? Hundreds of thousands of people would know about it very quickly. It would be observed by professional and amateur astronomers around the globe. They would no-doubt tell their families, friends and colleagues, who would in turn tell their families, friends and colleagues...

edit on 28-9-2011 by BagBing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Nice thread Stereo..
I think it would be a tough call by the many involved with NASA to attempt to stay silent.
I believe it would depend on the severity of the incoming disaster as to who would indeed
keep the concealed information to themselves. NASA is funded by the government correct?
that reason alone would lead me to question the honesty. I can understand the need to keep
an impending disaster quiet until all the facts are in, we have witnessed situations of mass panic
a few times in history already, to understand how the masses will react to lawlessness.Which is
why I can fully understand the need for martial law as this is what would be needed to control
the panic and looting. I would like to believe it would not be like that however we have been shown
time an time again how those with little feel the need to a free for all when no one is looking.
So, would NASA keep quiet? If they are truly government employees and need a paycheck.. yes
someone within NASA might feel bad and spill the beans however.
I have a hard time believing that something that actually threatened life continuance on earth
it would stay silent for long.
LD.
edit on 28-9-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
There are times when disasters can be averted. Some examples are:
1. Weather satellites than give us many days warning of hurricanes
2. Better radar systems that can detect severe weather
3. Levees that protect from flooding
4. Evacuation routes set up to allow retreat from storms or fires
5. Tornado sirens
6. Earthquake early warning systems

Would NASA follow suit and provide information on a plausible impact site that allows the population to avoid the immediate destruction zone? A large portion of the population lives in coastal areas. An ocean impact could create tsunamis of unbelievable proportions that would wash far inland along thousands of miles of ocean front.

There are impact modeling systems that are even available online to determine the destruction radius from an incoming object. I would expect an event to be more like Tunguska than an ELE. There have been other events that were similar, but not as powerful. I would expect more events of that nature instead of a stunning end of the world scenario.

Would NASA report these types of possibilities if there were any chance to report it or would they hide the coming event? The hide group does appear to be more numerous.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
If it was world ending and there was nothing we could do then what would be the point in telling us? First off I would say it would all depend on just what the disaster was and second they take orders from higher powers so the final call is not up to them.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I think it is fairly reasonable to assume that if there were a world ending event there would be little use in telling people unless you wanted to let people make peace with their god or their families or whatever they deem appropriate.

A world ending scenario is actually quite remote now. Most of nasty big rocks have long since crashed into other bodies. Still there are lots of big rocks out there that could be devastating. The AMS, American Meteor Society, estimates that several thousand fireballs hit the Earth each day. That's pretty amazing. There is a lot of material that falls to Earth and breaks up before doing any damage. Occasionally people are hit. Fortunately, the rocks slow down to something like 250mph before impact. There is the video of the meteor just before it crashes into Schenectady and demolishes a car. The insurance company refused to cover the incident. The owner sold the car for $50,000 to a rock collector. Thank you big business. It has been suggested that flight 800 leaving Long Island was downed by a meteorite. Far fetched? Maybe.

I would hazard a guess that the most likely incident is a large piece impacting or exploding in midair and wreaking local destruction. As I showed in an earlier post these events may not be that rare, but the Earth is big and most of the events are over uninhabited territory.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
A few years back NASA was commissioned to find NEOs that were large.

Earth could be blindsided by asteroids, panel warns

The US Congress asked NASA in 1998 to find 90 per cent of those in this size range within 10 years, a goal that has now nearly been reached.

It sounds to me like NASA is doing something to identify potential threats.

Does this change anyone's mind about NASA covering up? Is there another way to view this that I am missing?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
NASA to Hold Thursday Press Conference on Near-Earth Asteroids

It seems that there is to be an announcement possibly from NASA. Anyone think it is a possible danger or just a sit there and be happy it misses message?

edit on 29-9-2011 by stereologist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
More on the press conference scheduled for this afternoon here:

NASA to Make Announcement On Near-Earth Asteroids

“Although classified as a potentially hazardous object, 2005 YU55 poses no threat of an Earth collision over at least the next 100 years. However, this will be the closest approach to date by an object this large that we know about in advance and an event of this type will not happen again until 2028 when asteroid (153814) 2001 WN5 will pass to within 0.6 lunar distances.”

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Thew news from NASA is encouraging in that it suggests there are far fewer NEOs than previously thought.

NASA Space Telescope Finds Fewer Asteroids Near Earth

Astronomers now estimate there are roughly 19,500 -- not 35,000 -- mid-size near-Earth asteroids. Scientists say this improved understanding of the population may indicate the hazard to Earth could be somewhat less than previously thought. However, the majority of these mid-size asteroids remain to be discovered. More research also is needed to determine if fewer mid-size objects (between 330 and 3,300-feet wide) also mean fewer potentially hazardous asteroids, those that come closest to Earth.

Do you think this statement by NASA has any effect on NASA revealing or hiding a potential disaster?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Here is a warning posted by NASA concerning Apophis.
Predicting Apophis' Earth Encounters in 2029 and 2036

Read the section on mitigation in which it describes a method of altering the path sufficiently to change a direct hit to a miss. It's not much of a miss, but a miss.

In reading that section you'd learn more about the difficulties in long term path predictions.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
It has been brought to my attention again that NASA occasionally issues warnings to its employees when wildfires or hurricanes are approaching. Can anyone explain how this is related to space based issues?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Anything that concerns space is automatically attached to NASA even if NASA is not the source. I suggest that is a US-centric mistake and is not intentional. It is a cultural mistake.

Recently, a satellite crashed to Earth. Two days later there was an explosion in Argentina that some are claiming was due to an incoming meteorite or piece of satellite. Somehow people see a conspiracy with NASA not reporting the truth about the descent of the uncontrolled satellite.

An incoming boulder would slow to 250mph or less if it were from outer space. Where is the "dent" from this object? Where is the object. If it were smaller, then it would have been going slower.

Here is a photo of the damage done by a meteorite that impacted in Peekskill, NY.
Mrs. Knapp — mother of Michelle Knapp the Peekskill Meteorite Car's original owner — surveys the damage

If that is what is done by a 12kg impactor, imagine how large the object was that hit in Argentina. To destroy a house the impactor would have to be a lot larger. Where is it?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I would like to point out that the Peekskill impact was not reported by anyone before it happened. Was there a cover up or was this just too small to detect? There is the possibility this object weighed over a ton when it started its descent into the atmosphere.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It has been asked why I continue to comment in this thread about NASA and warnings about potential problems.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Then follows a bizzare monologue ! Who are you debating this with ?

The answer is simple. This thread is the most recent place to post additional information about such events as they happen. Instead of opening a duplicate thread, such as the many Elenin threads, I post the information here.

Another question that was asked.

"I believe that the word would get out despite efforts to possibly suppress the information. I'll explain shortly."

Sorry, could not finish the post. Please choose the excuse which you deem best fits your preconceived notions.
1. My mom called me to dinner.
2. I was busy overthrowing a government.
3. Too busy spraying chemtrails
4. Nibiru wrenched the keyboard off the desk
5. My favorite team made an amazing comeback

As NASA provides warnings or if you notice a failure. Please post in this thread.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Nasa could land probe on asteroid hurtling towards Earth
In this article from a source used by many doom and gloom claims is a story about NASA and plans to place a probe on an asteroid.

Asteroid 1999 RQ36, which has a one-in-1,000 chance of hitting the Earth before the year 2200, would cause an explosion equivalent to hundreds of nuclear bombs detonating at once.

An analysis of its orbit has predicted that it is most likely to hit us on September 24, 2182 but scientists want to collect a sample of the rock to help forecast its trajectory more accurately.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Would NASA reveal a disaster or hide a disaster,

Just a gut feeling,

If publicizing the disaster would benefit the proliferation of government funding, then yes they would let the news known.

If publicizing the disaster would at any possibility lessen government funding, then no they will bury it for their own existence.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Debris of 'Doomsday' Comet Elenin to Pass by Earth Sunday

Is this hiding or revealing? Is this what is happening or not?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Elenin was a comet and has zipped by the Earth successfully
'Doomsday' Comet Elenin Zips by Earth in Pieces

There are those that claim that NASA lies and hides. Here is an example where it is clear that what NASA stated was the truth. NASA made it clear that Elenin was a comet. They made it clear that it appeared to be breaking up. They made it clear that it was not a planet called Nibiru or whatever is the hoax du jour. There are those that say nothing can be known beforehand. Yet here is that comet on the path predicted for it just like NASA stated months ago.

Some skywatching soothsayers had predicted that Elenin's approach Sunday would trigger catastrophic earthquakes and tsunamis. Others had sounded even more dire alarms, suggesting that Elenin was not a comet at all but a rogue planet called Nibiru whose Earth encounter could usher in the apocalypse.

But none of that came to pass, as Elenin zipped by our planet at the safe remove of 22 million miles (35.4 million kilometers) and sped off into deep space. Or crumbs of the comet did, anyway.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join