Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Would NASA reveal a disaster or hide a disaster

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
There are many sides to this question, but the prominent 2 are the hide and the reveal groups.

The hide group suggests that there is too great a concern for social upheaval and the powers that be would hide any evidence of the sort of disasters claimed by the 2012 proponents. A new planet, an asteroid or comet endangering the Earth, a supervolcano, or incredible earthquake are common 2012 claims. The claimants usually make rather broad statements about official sources lying.

The reveal group suggests that coming disasters are revealed to the public on a regular basis and efforts are made to protect the public.

Due to the common discussion of this issue I though it might be best to discuss this issue without mixing it in with any particular danger being proposed.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
In my opinion I think NASA (or TPTB) would drop subtle 'hints' at what information they knew, but would make sure it was so ambiguous that no one would be able to readily decipher the data and major conspiracies would pop up as a result. They would then say ‘no need to panic, all is fine..bla..bla…bla’ while making preparations on the side. When the event actually occurred, they could easily say ‘we told you in so many words’. If they were wrong and nothing happened, they could easily show how wrong the conspiracies were and say, 'see we told you there was no need to panic'. Either way they will say that they told us the correct information.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
i think if they could hide it they would....granted its something like a dooms day meteor because the mass panic and possibility of being wrong would endanger many lives. so for something like this yeh i think they would...NOW..do i believe they would hide a super volcano or something that the general population with a little research and learning can track them selves...that are not man controlled...no i dont think they could.

if it would result in mass panic and a chance of being wrong sure cover it up to save lives....

if its something any normal human can take a day and learn about and track himself...good luck

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Please lets not get protection confused with lies. Everything is about control....do you REALLY think that if nasa were to release the threat of a giant asteroid on course with earth to hit in like 3days that the GOVERNMENT would be physically able to control the masses.....our military men would even freak at the thought of become suicide militia for the control of patrons lol

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Oh, yeah, they lie by omission just to "prevent panic, National Security, etc" and spout anything and every theory under the milky way just to keep you entertained. Most, if not all, is sanitized for your consumption. Pay attention, Pay attention, Pay attention. When the rats jump the sinking ship, I do think it is time to follow suit.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
imho, they would tell you without spelling it out, illuminati tactics of hiding the truth in plain sight.

its like vampire lore, example vamps cannot enter your home or a warded location without permission from the owner.

its not really even up to nasa, watch deep impact again, it wasn't nasa that told the world, it was the pres. due to the panic thing.
edit on 28/9/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
sad how much control is in the world. ya know back in the cave days there I believe each was in control of his own person it was called will.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Look at it this way.
Whenever someone ATS gives out doom and gloom predictions, they are for the most part scorned. So say NASA thinks they know something is going to happen but they aren't sure. If they blatantly put it out there and nothing happens everyone laughs at them. So if the subtly send out Preparation message via FEMA or whatever...(Got a recent email from a CA Senator a week ago telling us to be prepared for emergencies) then they can say they warned you but then they don't have to deal with the ramifications of being wrong...because face it no one likes to be wrong and laughed at or scorned. So look at it this way YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
edit on 28-9-2011 by outandopen because: sc

Here is the letter oddly he didn't post it on his website.

Dear Friends and Neighbors –

Last week’s power outage and the ongoing fire threats serve as important warnings for all of us. We must always be vigilant and prepared for natural disasters. Those of us who have had to evacuate our homes know that being prepared for an emergency at all times could literally save lives.

We’re in the middle of fire season, and I want to make sure that you have access to these important resources that will help you prepare your home and your family for emergencies:

www.ready.gov was launched in February 2003 by the Department of Homeland Security and is a national public service advertising campaign designed to educate and empower Americans to prepare for and respond to emergencies including natural and man–made disasters. The goal of the campaign is to get the public involved and ultimately to increase the level of basic preparedness across the nation.

www.redcross.org is the official website of The American Red Cross, where people mobilize to help their neighbors—across the street, across the country, and across the world—in emergencies. Each year, in communities large and small, victims of some 70,000 disasters turn to neighbors familiar and new—the more than half a million volunteers and 35,000 employees of the Red Cross.

www.fema.gov is the official website of the Federal Emergency Management Agency whose mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Please take a minute to check out the resources that are available to you. If there is anything my office can do for you as you prepare for fire season and other potential natural disasters, please don’t hesitate to call my district office at 619–596–3136.

It is an honor to serve you.

Stay safe,

Joel Anderson
Senator
edit on 28-9-2011 by outandopen because: letter

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
lets not forget that there are many things even organizations like NASA doesn't know, they can't warn or reassure people about, take dark matter for example, it is theorized that dark matter makes 23% of the mass-energy density of the observable universe, yet the evidence for it's existence and nature is still elusive, so who really knows what could be out there, alot of things are not known to current science, alot of things are not detectable with our current instruments.

if i knew that something would end the world a month from now and i / no one can do anything to prevent it, would i be telling people that this is coming? i don't think so.

could they TPTB know something destructive is coming and is hiding the truth from the public and they have a way of survival, well take a look at the worlds current politics, this is highly possible.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I love educated posts, these are absolutely fantastic. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissCoyote
I love educated posts, these are absolutely fantastic. Thank you.

LOL! i needed a good laugh..OK my point of view is that NASA will tell a little and know a lot...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

NASA gets most of it's information from outside sources such as Universities. The Government and NASA own alot of telescopes but they are leased out to 3rd parties. If a disaster was coming NASA wouldn't even be in a position to decide what gets released to the public.

But hypothetically speaking, lets assume NASA did have control. They would likely hold back the news until the government had some kind of disaster/recovery plan in place. The president will want to be in a bunker somewhere before the riots start.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Would NASA reveal a disaster or hide a disaster

NASA takes its orders from a higher authority. Those higher places wouldn't want panic if a real bad thing was coming and was unavoidable. They would say nothing.

Remember, crap rolls downhill. No matter how bad the event might be, you'd want your last days (and those of your loved ones) to be worth living so... you would obey those orders to the letter.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
There is quite a range of thinking on this issue including a number of interesting variations on the hide vs reveal dichotomy I have tried to give a short and hopefully fair description of these variations.
1. Reveal but in an obscure way, but claim to have been clear afterward
2. NASA is unable to hide due to leased equipment in use
3. NASA is not in charge and take orders from above

Most people claim they would hide in almost every case and some of these reasons are listed here.
1. Lie by omission
2. Definitely hide anything that can be hidden
3. Avoid having hysteria/panic
4. Deep Impact is an example of NASA behavior

I believe that the word would get out despite efforts to possibly suppress the information. I'll explain shortly.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
As of last night I realized how much I don't trust the government after finding out about SE58. My neighbor and I were both panicking wondering why hadn't heard anything about this comet till yesterday. Short story we got freaked out over nothing. I kept thinking about when the government said you can survive a nuclear bomb with duct tape and plastic wrap.

I think NASA has shown effort lately of wanting to launch crafts into space in the event of an object possibly hitting us. Like this meeting they are having tomorrow to discuss the asteroid that is heading our way. I watched a thing on History channel that discussed ways that NASA would try and go about detouring or destroying any object coming towards us. I think they would inform us, but they'd keep it very tight lip and not make it seem like impending doom just to avoid panic. If there was impending doom and no hope for us, I don't know if they'd tell us. And in reality I can't say I'd want to know. I rather not spend my last hours freaking out.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The reason I think NASA would tell us is that it allows people to save their resources.

What I mean by this is that if a destruction were seen too late to avoid then it might make sense not to say anything. On the other hand if there were time such as months or years, then there is time to attempt some sort of disaster aversion. Lots of ideas are being tested. Some of them might work. Right now they are on paper.

A good example of a discovery of a near miss is SE58. It's an NEO, near earth object, that is small and missed detection until very recently. It will pass closer than YU55 I believe. Projects such as WISE, NEOWISE, LINEAR and others have cataloged over 100,000 NEOs. This kind of effort is designed with more than detection in mind. If the detection is early enough, then it is possible to act. I don't believe as large a project as this could be undertaken without telling people the reason for the project.
edit on 28-9-2011 by stereologist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Some people give the government too much credit in terms of how much control they actually have. They can create a set of guidelines or rules, but the employees are just humans with their own agendas like the rest of us. Any type of preperations for a doomsday event would need to be a collaborative effort. Every time they need to involve a new government agency it just creates a new point of failure for any cover ups.

Also... America isn't the only country that owns a telescope. So we would be talking about potentially hundreds of governments, maybe thousands of government agencies, academic communities with access to telescopes all working together to hide a secret. This would probably add up to thousands or hundreds of thousands of government insiders keeping a secret.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by centrifugal

I agree completely. An organization as large as the government is more likely to make mistakes than to get things right. The government is more likely to mix up a report on an NEO passing close than it is to hide the event.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
plausible deniability. why would any government organization admit to knowing anything to the general public. i believe that information about any natural or manmade phenomena is always being reported by one agency to the general administration in charge. information is presented and agency heads are briefed. admin's think tank processes gathered info. and at that point, info stops going up unless its need to know. once again, the people at top have plausible deniability. that's just what i believe of course.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lawgiver
plausible deniability. why would any government organization admit to knowing anything to the general public. i believe that information about any natural or manmade phenomena is always being reported by one agency to the general administration in charge. information is presented and agency heads are briefed. admin's think tank processes gathered info. and at that point, info stops going up unless its need to know. once again, the people at top have plausible deniability. that's just what i believe of course.

The point I was making is that the information doesn't come from the top it comes from the bottom. Try to find one person in the Obama administration that can operate a NASA satellite. The empty suits in office won't know anything until the scientific community tells them about it.

When the government staff emerge from their bunkers after doomsday who is going to be operating the farms, power grid, plumbing, etc... If anything they will want America to be in a superior position to other remaining nations, which means the citizens need to survive.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join