It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans opting out of RNC

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Does anyone else find some of these a bit odd? Some of the reasons seem rather minor. If you were truly paranoid, one might guess something was up.

I'm sure there are more links, but thought this was enough to get everyone's imaginations running wild.

Bush and Schwarzenegger to watch convention off site.
www.nydailynews.com...

Schwarzenegger may miss Bush speech
www.montereyherald.com...

Gov. Jeb Bush will not attend RNC
www.bradenton.com...

Powell to skip Republican convention
www.cnn.com...

Congressmen David Vitter, Tom Coburn, and Sen. Lisa Murkowski will skip RNC
washingtontimes.com...

Congressmen Rick Renzi, JD Hayworth, Trent Franks and Jim Kolbe will not attend RNC
www.azcentral.com...

[edit on 26-8-2004 by loam]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Sounds like Rats jumping ship, but I wonder why, maybe the have been warned, even Bush I believe will be coming in on Saturday and will just be making his speech and then splitting to a midnight rally

[edit on 26-8-2004 by Sauron]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
They don't have anything to show for the last four years so celebrating their accomplishments probably seems hypocritical to Powell, while the others are probably just trying to avoid the protests.

Yay! They got rid of Saddam...big whoop. Everything else has a been an utter failure. They'll be lucky if Afghanistan doesn't collapse again before the election.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Does anyone else find some of these a bit odd? Some of the reasons seem rather minor. If you were truly paranoid, one might guess something was up.
Powell to skip Republican convention
www.cnn.com...

Powell missing the convention was mentioned in another thread.
Is he the designated person to not be there, in case New York is attacked?
Isn't ere always one person in the Line of Succession who is not there?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I don't see anything unusual here at all. There's no secret who will be the nominee and everyone who has opted out has duties that take precedence.

Conventions are for the delegates primarily and there are plenty of people who say that the conventions have lost much of their purpose over the years as the party platform is not hammered out on the floor of the coventions the way it was in the early twentieth century.

Even the public has lost interest and the major networks gave only cursory coverage of the Democratic Convention.

[edit on 04/8/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Then one can hardley blame the networks for minimal coverage if the party members themselves see the convension as a lower priority.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Does anyone know if former Presidents Bush and Ford plan to attend? It would be interesting to see, especially since Ford, for one, was the most centrist and moderate Republican President of the last fifty years.

Also, I know that after Ron Reagan Jr. spoke at the Democratic Convention, the RNC was begging Nancy to speak at the Republican Convention... any news on that?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMePowell missing the convention was mentioned in another thread.
Is he the designated person to not be there, in case New York is attacked?
Isn't ere always one person in the Line of Succession who is not there?

"On White House instruction, Secretary Powell as well as others among the Cabinet, will not attend," State Department deputy spokesman Adam Ereli said Tuesday. "This is in keeping with past practice."

Ereli also drew attention to Powell's remarks last week at a convention of minority journalists that he was obliged as secretary not to take part in "parochial debate."http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/10/powell.politics.ap/

It would seem they don't want to put all their eggs in one basket. I think that's smart. This convention is going to draw a lot of violence, I'm afraid.

[edit on 04/8/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I hope it does bring violence. It will prove Bush has done nothing but piss the people off. Imagine 50 people attacking with assault weapons and bombs. Bush supporters get killed off. No democrats or non Bush lovers for they don't sign the loyalty pact that Bush&Co makes you sign to go to a meeting or convention.

Hmmm, but it is interesting that the president isn't going. Kerry went almost everyday. Clinton didn't skip the convention for 1996. Maybe Bush knows something. Well, his masters know something. Maybe they planning an attack or already have the election stolen so don't worry.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
I hope it does bring violence. It will prove Bush has done nothing but piss the people off. Imagine 50 people attacking with assault weapons and bombs. Bush supporters get killed off.

That's pretty reckless rhetoric, Lesser. Actually, it's utterly disgraceful. You should be ashamed of yourself and apologize.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

I hope it does bring violence. It will prove Bush has done nothing but piss the people off. Imagine 50 people attacking with assault weapons and bombs. Bush supporters get killed off.

That's pretty reckless rhetoric, Lesser. Actually, it's utterly disgraceful. You should be ashamed of yourself and apologize.

He makes it a habit to spout off useless attacks without giving any real facts or opinions to support them. He goes against the very motto of this website overall.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I agree with GradyPhilpott. James the Lesser's post is utterly disgraceful, and frankly, obscene beyond description!

Does it occur to James the Lesser that such statements diminish the legitimacy of the arguments against many of this Administration’s policies, and in fact, strengthens their position by using statements such as his as a rationale to demonstrate why they are right?

Unbelievable!

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Does it occur to James the Lesser that such statements diminish the legitimacy of the arguments against many of this Administration’s policies, and in fact, strengthens their position by using statements such as his as a rationale to demonstrate why they are right?

Unbelievable!

It does for sure. I dislike irresponsible Liberals just as much as I dislike irresponsible Conservatives. I don't support Bush or the Conservative social agenda at all, but these types of attacks from the extreme far left perspective does no one any good.

If we can't debate our differences with respect then we have truly lost it as a nation.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Weller

...I dislike irresponsible Liberals just as much as I dislike irresponsible Conservatives...

If we can't debate our differences with respect then we have truly lost it as a nation.

Right you are!

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   

lol Grady... once you realize that Lesser is like that, his posts become less anger-inducing and more laughter-inducing.

But anyway, on topic ... This sort of reminds me of the precursor to 9/11... a lot of the big bosses in the WTC were told mysteriously the day before to report to "emergency meetings across town" on the day of 9/11... hmmm

It'd be interesting to see what happens. If something happened at the RNC, Bush will win the election. He could say that they were singled out as the sheep and people would feel sorry for them and his numbers would jump.

Jump high enough for him to get elected... of course, they'll soar downward as people begin to realize what just happened... then again, soft numbers usually tend to have that trend, no?

EDIT - Clarification of some of my points.

[edit on 8-26-2004 by Hawk]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawk
But anyway, on topic ...

Thanks for that.

This sort of reminds me of the precursor to 9/11... a lot of the big bosses in the WTC were called away the day before to "emergency meetings across town" ... hmmm

It'd be interesting to see what happens. If something happened at the RNC, Bush will win the election. He could say that they were singled out as the sheep and people would feel sorry for them and his numbers would jump.

Jump high enough for him to get elected...

Certainly the stuff conspiracy theories are made of, eh? Hope this is nothing more than coincidence.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   

lol Grady... once you realize that Lesser is like that, his posts become less anger-inducing and more laughter-inducing.

It's reckless speech regardless of who says it, especially in these times. Some speech is not protected and you can get yourself in a lot of trouble saying things like that. And on top of that it is a pretty disgusting sentiment for any American to hold. Some things are not funny.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Understood, Grady, but you also have to accept that people don't always share your sentiments... so, it's something you have to just get over and not think too much about. If you get yourself worked up over it, you'll get nowhere.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Understood, Grady, but you also have to accept that people don't always share your sentiments... so, it's something you have to just get over and not think too much about. If you get yourself worked up over it, you'll get nowhere.

Well, thank you for the advice, but I am not worked up. It's just that statements such as this cannot go unchallenged. It would be irresponsible to do otherwise.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Just a question:

How many "high profile" democrats didn't attend the DNC convention?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join