It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Storm Threatens Earth with Mass Chaos

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Not even close. Do you have any Idea how many times the K-index has been at a 6 in the last 5 years? Get a clue.
reply to post by Paroxysm

On a nicer note....

You do realize that what was said by the OP is Kp= 6 is considered a "major storm" (just as Kp=8 is considered a "severe storm").

Whether or not we have had them in the past is not relevant to what was stated by the OP.

There is a 30% chance of Earth Directed X-Solar Flare in the next few days and that is a concern for some....maybe not for you though and that is OK.

For me...it is not really that big of a deal and it will only become a big deal if we have an X-Flare that is HUGE because if it is Earth directed we may see effects to such. Our shield that normally protects us is into working all that well....or thats what they say so I am not sure how it will effect us now verses how it may have effected us in the past. Time will tell though.....

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paroxysm

Originally posted by Artlicious
Do solar storms increase the risk of sunburn when you are out in the Sun?

No. You would be thinking of UV index, which does not have extensive ties to space weather.

Feel free to look thru some of the past UV index listings and draw your own conclusions.

www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov...

I just thought the initial flash of light when a flare happens would up the UV on Earth, but I guess I'm wrong? The only reason I ask is because I was outside for only like 20 min yesterday in the Sun and I got a bit of a sunburn. And I do not usually burn so easily.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Artlicious

I just found this....

"Yes – sunscreen will block the radiation. But there isn't actually that much extra to worry about.

"Ultraviolet radiation from the sun briefly goes up by factors of thousands during solar flares," said Todd Hoeksema, a solar astronomer at Stanford University. "That's outside the Earth's atmosphere, though. The amount of UV radiation that gets to the ground is about the same as normal," Hoeksema told Life's Little Mysteries.

Most of the high-energy radiation coming from the sun during a solar flare gets absorbed by our atmosphere. "UV light is very energetic so it interacts with the atmosphere, breaking molecules apart and ionizing atoms. As it goes though the air, more and more gets absorbed. Most of it gets absorbed 80 or 100 miles above us," he said.

The extra UV light that does make it through the atmosphere — and onto your skin — isn't enough to worry about, Hoeksema said. "The increase in the amount of UV on the ground is minimal.""

Here: www.lifeslittlemysteries.com...

So I wonder if when our magnetosphere is down or being hit really hard, if more UV rays get in.. I swear sunburned pretty quickly yesterday.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by gamesmaster63

Yes, we can all agree that WISE was launched in 2009, and no, you are not understanding this correctly.
WISE received it's last command and was shut down on February 17, 2011, not 2009. Read the first paragraph of the article and check the publication date.

I see that now. Thank you. When people say/post certain 'facts' then edit them out, it's not only unfair (because I look like an idiot) it's also very frustrating especially to someone who is trying to understand.

But yes, I was not clearly thinking it out. Launched in 2009 and shut off in 2011! (although I knew it was 2-years, I was mixing up the years)

So....if it's out of coolant (as planned?) whose s'pose to deliver it, Pep Boys? Just wondering.
I still think the timing is very very uncanny!

Enough of WISE (from me anyhow) I thought this was interesting!
The illustration really puts these solar flares in frightening prospective!

New Forecast: Sun's 'Superstorms' Could Doom Satellites

Magnetic storms set off by the sun could pose a bigger threat than thought to weather, communication, military and other satellites close to Earth, with a potentially devastating economic impact, scientists suggest.

In the new study, researchers found that solar radiation can energize a belt of high-energy particles that surrounds Earth more dramatically than previously believed.

The study focused on the possible effects of a particularly strong magnetic storm on the Van Allen radiation belts, the dangerous rings of high-energy particles that girdle the Earth. The belts are split into two distinct zones. The outer belt, which is made up of electrons, reaches from about 15,800 to 31,600 miles (25,500 to 51,000 kilometers) above the surface, while the inner belt, which consists of a mix of electrons and protons, reaches from about 4,000 to 8,000 miles (6,400 to 12,800 km) above

www.space.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

For untold millenia the earth has experienced solar storms. It's only now in our recent history of electronics and electricity that we seem to have to worry about it and only due to our advanced "toys." So, the power grid shuts down, boo hoo. It means Wall Street, the banks, the huge multinationals and government shut down along with all the manipulation and corruption. I don' think that's a bad thing. People have obviously weathered the storm before and they can do it again. Maybe this time if it happens (which appears to be the 5th time), we can all come out stronger and smarter.

Cheers - Dave

edit on 9/29.2011 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

The SDO Solar Dynamics Observatory will give us an 18 hour Heads Up if a direct hit CME
heads our way. - Carrington Event 1859 -
------------
The North / South orientation of the suns magnetic poles is also critical. NASA Themis Mission

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Where I live in Spain is quite backwards, with a feeble, outdated power grid that constantly crashes (usually due to some local scum trying to steal electricity from the village's main breaker). I wonder if this solar flare will effect it. It wouldn't make that much of a difference, though, power outages and loss of comm here is as common as sunshine.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
reply to post by Phage

You edit out your words once you realize you make mistakes and that is NOT fair play Phage!

You said WISE was up there for YEARS (I would quote you but you erased it).

Show me one article that said that WISE's longevity was only 24 months. Show me where NASA said they specifically designed this quarter billion dollar space craft to take 900 days worth of pictures only.

Show me!

You attack me and TRY (the operative word there "Try") to make me look like a complete moron!

There is NO way that NASA launched a 300 million dollar satellite to shut it down in 900 days. Bullcrap!

Sorry, I may have missed a vital piece of information, but how does 24 months equate to 900 days? I thought there was only 730 days in 24 months (unless its a leap year). I may be wrong.... like completely and utterly deluded wrong.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
still fearmongering human? i thought you had given that up but i guess not, here is a tip when you have more posts in your own thread then everyone else combined its usually a sighn that your topic is lacking....... but i guess if it wasn't doom and gloom you would have nothing to talk about, kinda sad in reality.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
CME=== Chaos Mass Ejection?

I'm sorry. Can't seem to get paranoid about the Sun. After all its been there for... and the earth has been here for...
and SO FAR.... so good. The earth and the sun will be here long after mankind has destroyed their environment and each other. When the world ends, it won't be because the world ended, but because OUR world ended; the world that we have made for ourselves is the part that is going to come crashing down.

Don't believe me? Google "ruins" and then get back to me.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Yah BABY, there you go. Give it some scale. How did you get the earth to pose for that shot? Hardy har har!
Thank you for that size differential there Mass Chaos. I really dig it when I get to see for my self how insignificant we really are (by comparison). Puny Humans...

Oh wait, my bad. Life is the most significant thing in the Universe. Even one life.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Last night all cell phone reception dropped dead, all internet dropped and we were in a wireless blackout.

Is this a symptom of the solar activity or just a coincidence?

-GM

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Soo true

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! A Solar Storm!

Oh wait, I mean yawn...a solar storm.....

These doom and gloom expectations come each time there's a solar storm, and each time, exactly NOTHING actually happens.

I'm not too worried...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The average person is having a hard time coming up with enough food for their every day existence, so having a "backup supply" just really isn't an option for most people out there.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
We lost power here in SE Michigan this morning due to the Solar activity.

Also noticed the computers down in the Advanced Auto Store I went into this morning, they said the central servers went down, so I had to wait 20 minutes for check out.

Also my cell phone service has been up and down, in a metro area.

But I am still not worried.

Originally posted by Gradius Maximus
Last night all cell phone reception dropped dead, all internet dropped and we were in a wireless blackout.

Is this a symptom of the solar activity or just a coincidence?

-GM

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissCoyote
okay taking care of my electronics lol, whats it every 11 years we go through sun throwing a fit. let her throw her fit she's moody its that time of the decade

Just because its her time doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Everytime there's a solar storm or CME burst, one of these threads comes up. I hope it actially happens this time...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
What does this red arrow mean here... www.swpc.noaa.gov... ....

... and frankly if someone can fill me in on the meaning of the Current Auroral Oval's overall meaning I would really appreciate the insight.
This information I am requesting is in regards to the info on www.spaceweather.com

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

There is another solar storm lining up after this one. There is not much anyone can do about it, except hang on and enjoy the ride.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join