It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Storm Threatens Earth with Mass Chaos

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
reply to post by Phage

Coolant. Cool. Thanks

I will now back off the WISE talk because although I was confused, others aided in my confusion.

Let's move on..................................

Thanks Phage!

Maybe reading this in order will help

What Wise did (and it more than fullfilled it’s mission)
en.wikipedia.org...

The 'claim' you asked about is that of John Matese and Daniel Whitmire
en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

and so far nothing backing up that claim has been found in the WISE data.

So far, no Tyche, no Nemesis. And not too many other scientists agreeing with Matese and Whitmire

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Solar flare slams into Earth may hit communication, power
September 28, 2011 – 9:32 pm

Washington, Sept 28 (TruthDive): A massive solar flare that erupted on the Sun over the weekend has hit the Earth’s magnetic field on Monday, following the impact of a coronal mass ejection (CME).

Earlier the particles reached at Earth at 8:37 a.m. EDT (1237 GMT) Monday, kicking off moderate geomagnetic storms at lower latitudes and storms that are more serious closer to the Earth’s poles, according to the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). These storms can disrupt GPS signals, radio communications and power grids, but no such effects have yet been reported, NOAA officials said.

It started when an X1.9-category flare erupted from the Sunspot 1302 – a 60,000-mile-long region that NASA calls ‘behemoth’ – at 5:40 am EDT on September 24.

Simulations indicate that solar wind plasma penetrated close to geosynchronous orbit at 9 a.m. on Monday. Geosynchronous satellites could therefore be directly exposed to solar wind plasma and magnetic fields. Clear locations, as far south as the northern United States were witness to aurora due to the storm. Sky watchers at the highest latitudes should remain alert for northern lights as Earth’s magnetic field continues to reverberate from the CME impact.

Luckily, this CME delivered a glancing blow. If it had hit Earth directly, the geomagnetic storms and, possibly, the damage could have been more serious. But we’re not out of the woods yet, SWPC officials said.

The storm erupted from a region known as sunspot 1302. Sunspots are temporary dark patches on the solar surface caused by intense magnetic activity. The area around sunspot 1302 may be brewing up more trouble.

“Region 1302 remains capable of producing more activity and will be in a favorable position for that activity to have impacts on Earth for the next 3-5 days,” SWPC officials said.

For now, however, the biggest effect of the geomagnetic storms may be the auroras, so sky watchers in favorable locations should look up when they get the chance.

People in the mid- to high-latitudes should be alert for auroras after nightfall. The best hours to spot the northern and southern lights tend to be around local midnight.

truthdive.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The Sunspots That Kicked Off This Week's Solar Storm May be Just Warming Up

That gigantic solar flare that lashed out toward Earth on Saturday is "the geomagnetic storm that just won't go away," the NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) in Boulder, Colo., said via its Facebook page today. And that appears to be true. Active Region 1302, pictured above, continues to pummel earth with solar energy and could disrupt satellite communications as it continues turning toward us in the days to come.

AR1302 unleashed a massive coronal mass ejection on Saturday that struck a glancing blow off Earth’s atmosphere yesterday, triggering brilliant auroras across the Northern Hemisphere. So far, the storm hasn’t caused any serious trouble here on the ground. Saturday’s solar explosion didn’t connect with a direct hit, and it is expected to do nothing more than continue to provide electrifying light shows to sky-gazers in Europe and Asia this evening.

But AR1302 is also not slowing down, and as the week wears on it will turn to face Earth more directly. An SWPC bulletin yesterday warned that for the next 3-5 days, we’re squarely in the solar storm’s sights. Another blast like Saturday’s and we may feel it here on Earth in the form of disrupted communications. A larger blast could do even more damage to the power grid and other infrastructure.

www.popsci.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
That article is more than a day old.
What's wrong with getting current information?

2011-09-28 17:28 Geomagnetic Activity Persists

The ongoing G2 (Moderate) Geomagnetic Storm which began September 26 lingers. The solar wind has returned to more normal conditions and the parent region, NOAA Region 1302, has been less active.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

IB. Solar Activity Forecast: Solar activity is expected to be low
with a chance for an isolated M- and X-flare from Region 1302.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

edit on 9/28/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Hm. Well, that star that has been giving the earth heat and light for God alone knows how long, has been blasting us with radiation since day one and were still here. I fail to see what one more CME is going to do that hasnt already been done.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Space Weather Message Code: ALTK06
Serial Number: 273
Issue Time: 2011 Sep 29 0242 UTC

ALERT: Geomagnetic K-index of 6
Threshold Reached: 2011 Sep 29 0242 UTC
Synoptic Period: 0000-0300 UTC
Station: Boulder
Active Warning: Yes
NOAA Scale: G2 - Moderate

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

K-index of 6 (out of 1-10) is considered a major storm

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Hm. Well, that star that has been giving the earth heat and light for God alone knows how long, has been blasting us with radiation since day one and were still here. I fail to see what one more CME is going to do that hasnt already been done.

Oh no doubt about that lonewolf however.......perhaps planet Earth wasn't intended to have a civilization totally dependent and run on electronic gizmos and gadgets.
Cell phones, Internet, Radar, GPS and on and on and on. If they go out, there will be world wide trouble for sure.

This is WHY I personally think they want to ditch the ISS. But hey, time will tell and until then, I can only voice my opinions.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
That article is more than a day old.
What's wrong with getting current information?

Who are you directing that towards?

A day old? As in yesterday the 27th? Because it's already tomorrow over the Pond (and they might be REALLY confused)

Won't it be great once we get rid of time too!? Time is so subjective and really overall, irrelevant except when you need to keep tabs on technology.
And with any luck, the Sol will wipe out everything on this planet that's preventing us from growing spiritually opposed to technologically!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

that was utc 242 am. meaning eastern std 1042pm. not sure what to expect in the next 12 hrs.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

K-index of 6 (out of 1-10) is considered a major storm

Not even close. Do you have any Idea how many times the K-index has been at a 6 in the last 5 years?

Get a clue.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Do solar storms increase the risk of sunburn when you are out in the Sun?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Artlicious
Do solar storms increase the risk of sunburn when you are out in the Sun?

No. You would be thinking of UV index, which does not have extensive ties to space weather.

Feel free to look thru some of the past UV index listings and draw your own conclusions.

www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Drink a lot of water, don't overexert yourself and stay in the shade when possible. If the temperature does rise, find any means to stay cool. If the power goes out inside places such as groceries stores, local ice rinks or areas further underground will be good places to stay for the time being. Take care of yourself people.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

And with any luck, the Sol will wipe out everything on this planet that's preventing us from growing spiritually opposed to technologically!

Way to steer a thread into another direction buddy

I like the way you think. The next question that should be asked is, what has held us back spiritually the most?
Religion or technology?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Several things to keep in mind. This happened in the early 1900's. There was only telegraph. It was affected but otherwise life went on.

Today we are quite dependent upon the electrical grid and digital devices. All are susceptible to solar storms.

Being a Preper is a wise idea. Don't go overboard. Store water, canned food, a coleman type lantern, and if in a cold climate, an alternate heating source that is not dependent upon the grid. (Obviously if you are in an apartment, you are subject to those limitations. so stock up on blankets)

For those fortunate enough to afford a home, build an earthen bermed or underground home. This would be especially good for those who can orient the place to the south to use the sun for heating in cold weather.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

reply to post by Chadwickus

If I make your brain hurt then, take two aspirin and get off my thread!

Maybe I am getting confused but Phage is saying: WISE did its thing. It's over. After 24 months?
So do we ALL agree, WISE (NOT IRAS) was launched in 2009????

So an article dated Feb 15th 2009 discussed the possibly of WISE (not IRAS) going out and perhaps finding Tyche (Nibiru) one day and yet on Feb 17th 2009, WISE shut down because it was scheduled to.

Am I understanding this correctly???

Yes, we can all agree that WISE was launched in 2009, and no, you are not understanding this correctly.
WISE received it's last command and was shut down on February 17, 2011, not 2009. Read the first paragraph of the article and check the publication date.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Solar storms just don't affect communications,

they also affect THE HUMAN BODY.

The pain is unbearable on me everytime it happens.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by galactictuan

Sorry to hear that while I am sitting here enjoying it > UK the sky is 100% clear and as warm as the height of summer . BBC news/weather yesterday tried to pin the 10degrees above average temps on the gulf stream 'flowing further north than usual.' So what do we get from the TV license fees we pay them ?

@Human Alien I dont discount the south american blackouts as being related to recent cmes , Chadwickus was on the thread from Dalke on the 22nd when a huge flare came out. In previous pages on this thread its been said the sa blackouts happened before the effects of the 24th (another stronger x-class) reached us, and so the cme couldnt have been the cause. I dont buy that , and I had read the guardian article was from about May/June 2011

The light from is supposed to meet us in 8 minutes , and the blast wave travels faster if behind a previous flare . At what point the static gets here I dont know , but I know when its hot in the sunshine and I know when I can smell static in the air. < seems to happen before the heat and auroras.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

"Mass chaos" I do believe the last time the mainstream used those words were in 1999 regarding Y2K.

But this has the potential of really wiping out the grid system for a while. I think the massive blackout in California earlier this month (although they blamed that on a solo technician doing work
) and the recent Chilean blackout are just the calm before the solar storm.

We are so dependent on our gidgets and gadgets that we'll be jonesing like a crackhead in less than 24-hour if we don't have our electronic devices available to us.

very true sir, I know that for me it would take my batteries dying in everything and I would start going a bit bananas! It is sad, but true. So much of our lives depend on the Internet and our gadgets that yes there would be mass hysteria. Just think, all banks are on the Internet, so there systems wouldn't be able to pull up how much money you have in your account.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
reply to post by Deplume

The odds are typically 1%, aren't they?

25% is a fairly large chance.
edit on 28-9-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

CLASS X 30 % 30 %

I guess different sites have a different percentage because www.spaceweather.com... is saying there is a 30% chance of an X-Flare.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join