It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Day 3 So Hard?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Ok, Monday morning I had only 3/4 of a cigarette left in my pack. Irritated that I was out again, and at the notion of making a special trip to the store, owned by a judgemental, dentally challenged middle easterner, to spend another $8 on an evil addiction that I hate, while he laughs, pushed me to make my descision. "After 30 years, It's time to quite!"

And, I did! I used deep breathing, logic and aroma therapy. I went for a walk, meditated, took a nap. Monday evening, after a lively converation with my daughter, I was tempted to smoke and began rummaging through my drawers to find that 5 year old pack of NIcorette Gum!

I chewed a wad until it made my throat swell and heart race. Drank some more water, brushed my teeth and went to bed.

Day 2 much like the first. Add food. A lot of food. In addition to normal eating habits, I ate a large bowl of spicey Kim Chee, a good distraction. Add tons of peanut butter and brown sugar on buttered toast, and more walking, aroma therapy, deep breathing, meditation, logic and extra sleep.

Wednesday, day 3. I have already had 3 peiced of Nicorette gum, 2 chocolate coffees, potato chips, ham sandwich and it's only 10:30M.

Nothing is satisfying. I find myself looking under the sofa, between the cushions and under the floor boards of my car. In an attack of panic, I even went to the community area pool. looking for butts in the ashtrays, but alas there were none.

I refuse to go buy another pack, and let the past 2 day go to waste! All I can think off is how much I want to smoke a cigarette! Today is the worst! I thought it was supposed to get easier by day 3!

AAAAARRRRGGG! (RANT!)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
You've got this! The fact that you came here to post that means something. I know it's going to be hard to get used to not having that stuff around, but you can overcome it. Have you tried something like a pack of dum-dums or something to help keep you occupied? A lot of smoking cessation issues arise from the fixation that comes from the sensation of having the cigarette, finding something to occupy that spot rather than the cigarette may help you.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Bro, hold a pencil or something like a cigarette, close your eyes, and visualize the smoke and everything into your lungs while going through the motions. I figured out it worked about a week into quitting lol.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

i recommend e-gigs

i tried apollo brand (the extreme starter kit) and it works great. I have no affiliation with them, and it is the only product i've tried. but you can feel the "smoke" in your throat and you get the nicotine as well as the hand to mouth addiction thing

the best part is now i can "smoke" in restaurants, my house, friends houses, work etc etc.

cheaper than smoking too !!!!

(i'm puffing on one right now in bed !!! no chance of a fire either )

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

The first couple of weeks is the hardest, and just when you thought it was done, about 3 months later you will get urges again for a short while. Stick to it and don't give in! I found that those hot toothpicks helped out as well as keeping a peppermint candy in my mouth or something with strong flavor. Eating is not the answer, curbing the urges is. Good luck!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Hmmm.

Unless the nicorette has gone bad and no longer has nicotine in it, it sounds like it's just the habits associated with smoking itself causing the problem, as you should be getting nicotine to feed your actual addiction?

As far as day three, if you were actually getting off the nicotine, this is about when your body would be clearing out the last of it...then you'd be looking at about another 2 and a half weeks of getting over the main psychological hurdles of not having nicotine. I'm guessing the nicorette's probably not good anymore, and this would account for your troubles. Best option is to not fixate - remember, not smoking will NOT hurt you in any way, so if you can get past the little bit of hell you'll be just fine. When you start thinking about cigarettes, find something to distract your mind with as most physical cravings only last about 3 minutes.

Go read some articles on whyquit.com or quitnet to pass the time and educate yourself as well. Good to reinforce your will for this move.

And good luck!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
"You Mad Bro ?"

I am unable to do what you are attempting.

It doesn't get any easier.

I quit for two years...

It felt like I hadn't had a smoke for two years.

If you find something that helps.

Please post it. I admire your attempt...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
When I quit smoking, the first three weeks were the hardest. After that, it was all down hill. Might I suggest purchasing an electronic-cigarette? Then you can "smoke" (vape), still get nicotine, and not inhale all of the harmful chemicals that are present in the smoke of cigarettes.

E-cigs come in different sizes, different nicotine strengths all the way down to 0mg (which is what I use), and come in just about any flavor imaginable.

It's hard to quit cold turkey. Took me a couple times to do it, but I wanted to start smoking again and my friends had already switched to the e-cig, so now I'm casually using an e-cig.

I would highly recommend anyone who's trying to quit, to at least try an e-cigarette and stop inhaling the toxic smoke of analog cigarettes.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowMonk

doing that in public will make you look wierd
second line

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Snus helped me quit in the past, but I always start back up.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar
You've got this! The fact that you came here to post that means something. I know it's going to be hard to get used to not having that stuff around, but you can overcome it. Have you tried something like a pack of dum-dums or something to help keep you occupied? A lot of smoking cessation issues arise from the fixation that comes from the sensation of having the cigarette, finding something to occupy that spot rather than the cigarette may help you.

Thanks for your support and to all those who are answering.

What's a "dum dum"? If I break down and go to buy a pack of cigarettes, I will buy the E-cig, instead. But I really don't want to, as I want to rid myself from the habit all together.

I guess the first 2 days were novel and the cravings were a challenge, whereas today, it's back to normal and the routine activites require a cigarette in hand. It's annoying that I keep having to stop and start, because of the constant distraction.

Deep breaths, getting that special aroma-therapy oil out now.

edit on 28-9-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Hve someone smash your hands with a hamer that will stop you buying and smoking anymore
or a least a few months

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by haven123
Hve someone smash your hands with a hamer that will stop you buying and smoking anymore
or a least a few months

I sure won't be able to drive to the store, pay or light the lighter. You may be onto something there!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
i quit 2 weeks ago today
cold turkey just cut it off i found my addiction wasnt really the nicotine it was the inhale/exhale of the smoke i liked...so while i still crave it when i get a bad craving i chew gum and lay down picture and think what i would do if i won 50million....trust me it works your distracting your mind.....and yeh its going to suck for a bit because your taking something out of your system that the body is used to having...hope this helps

1. chew gum
2. picture you won 50 million bucks and what you would do with it all while laying down relaxing

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I quit in the 1990s. It was hell for about 3 weeks. I put on 15 pounds in a month! I have not had a smoke in 17 years though.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Driving was hard for me. I had to "go through the motions" and it helped me through. Like rolling down my window, pretending to light up (my cigarette sized straw or pencil) and pretending to smoke that straw or pencil. It really did help.

After day 5 it did get better.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

use nicotine patches and stick them over your mouth and eyes. That will stop you smoking.......
edit on 28-9-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I feel for you. I went through the same thing not too long ago and still have a craving every now and then, but the benfits outweigh the habit anymore. I really wanted to make a change and quiting cigs has helped me make the changes I wanted. It gave me back the confidence I lost a long time ago when I first got into this doom news, coffee at 11p and a pack a day. You can do it, but you have to want it and want it enough. Light a fire on the inside. You can do it, I have confidence in you OP.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Today is day 4.

Yesterday was the hardest day I've had in along time. Focus and drive were illusive things, as my mind went into panic mode. Besides being constantly distracted by the urge of needing a hand to mouth breathing activity, my 2 cats were making sport of someone's tiny, lost kitten, on my front porch.

Of course I rescued the tiny, scratched up little thing, took some pictures and made a "I found your lost kitty" flyer, which I posted at the community pool area.

My new "best friend" promtly peed on my bed spread, and made a permanent home under my feet, wherever they may be, moving or still, there she is. My 2 cats are are horrified at my decision to take their prey inside the house and feed it. They are still mad at me this morning, and nobody has claimed the kitten yet.

Yesterday, posters suggested a few things, like maybe my Nicorette gum was too old and to try sucking on candy or pretend that licorice is a cigarette for that habitual hand to mouth need. Well, CVS Pharmacy wants over $40 dollars for gum or patches and Dr's prescription is required for Chantrex, which I don't want to do. So, I went to a "health food store" to buy gummy bears, chocolate raisins and peanuts and peach flavored licorice sticks.

Now I'm driving home, feeling empowered as I pretend smoke my peach flavored licorice, when I bite down for a chew and my bottom molar flips off it's crown, and a shooting pain goes through my jaw. AAAARRRGGGHHH!

I give up, I break down and pull into my local smoke shop. "Sam," I say, "I'm in a bad way, can you help me?" I proceed to explain to him that this is day 3, and I don't want to buy a pack, but I'm going crazy. He is kind and understands my dilemma, and suggests that I buy $1 worth of his cheapest, yuckiest pipe tobacco, which I do.

I went home, rolled it took a hit and all was well with the world again, as I sipped on some Shiraz. I could have bought the patch, or newer Nicorette gum, but it's all nicotine. A hit of pipe tobacco isn't the same as a cigarette, although it is a crutch.

My daughter is really disappointed by my backsliding and blames me for "just making excuses." She told me that my body is playing tricks on my mind, because it is depleted of nicotine, and is trying to make me think that I need it, when I don't. Easier said than done.....

Today is day 4. I don't have any cigarettes, but I have a wee bit of pipe tobacco, to curb the panic that makes me go looking in the gutters for old cigarette butts. I hope today is a better day.

edit on 29-9-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I got a calendar and everyday that I made it through, I put a big red X on it before bed. It became a motive for me. And friends would visit, ask about it, and I would tell them. They would start counting the X to see how far I made it.

I also used a yo yo to quit. Anytime I had a craving, I would try to do the yo yo. I didn't care who saw me, I could be standing in line at the bank and bust out the yo yo. Then I would get distracted till the urge passed.

1) have a goal to look forward too
2) keep yourself busy
3) avoid the places that made you smoke and recongize them for what they are. on the phone, in the car, etc.

top topics

join