It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists build digital cerebellum...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Scientists build digital cerebellum for Roborat: to protect, serve and spook

You'd be forgiven if talk about Cyborg Rats made you think about precision gaming mice, but in this case we're yapping about the real thing. A team from Tel Aviv University has found a way to restore lost motor function in rodents by building a digital cerebellum. As the story goes, they anesthetized a rat, disabled its natural abilities and installed the device -- and were able to teach the chip to make the rat blink when a sound was played.

It's all very early-days, but the hope is to develop implants to aid people with long-term disabilities -- or to ensure our sewers are crime free. For those not paying attention, rat-brained innovations are on the up: in June, researchers at the University of Southern California were able to construct an artificial memory, not to mention last year's Tokyo brain-car. After all this mistreatment, it wouldn't be a surprise if the Cyborg Rats sided with the machines in the forthcoming Robopocalypse. Which, you know, is exactly what we need weighing on our conscience.

Ahh yes...

What those pesky Earthlings wont think of next. Actually this could be BIG news. Even if this is just the first few steps so to speak. I have family members who this type of research could help not to mention all those who fall victim to random accidents and the ravages of debilitating medical issues etc.

This is research is worth following.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Wow i want a digital brain to go with it..... Where us humans are going to end up is anyones guess...
edit on 28-9-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Could you imagine the talk in the waiting room sometime in the future between two patients...

"Yeah next month I'll upgraded to Intellect 2.0 with 500 Gigs of RAM"

"WOW... 2.0 out already? I opted for humor 3.5 instead"

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Agreed, this would help my disabled wife....I keep telling her to have hope, we may not actually see it, but someone may.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by pointr97

Agreed in all seriousness this could be huge.
Let's wish them and others researching in related fields good luck.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
love the picture, do you follow new scientist on twitter by somechance, everytime i see something on there that i want to post a thread about someone else beats me too it lol oh well, ill keep on looking lol

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Slowly but surely....the development is accelerating....

There will be a day when future beings look back at us in horror. The fact that we could DIE. The fact that we couldn't repair our brains if they were damaged. The fact that we weren't integrated directly into the collective.

Resistance if futile.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Cryptonomicon

Thanks for the replies I thought some would find this interesting I know I did.

new topics

top topics

join