It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A simple question....

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

I don't know why you would think this is a question that needs to be asked. Western governments, especially the USA, are supposed to tell the people what they know. After all these governments allegedly solely exist on the whims of the public and the tax dollars they put into them to keep them running. If there is a cover-up conspiracy then there is a crime being committed. Simple as that.

Uh...Crime? Not exactly. There is this thing called NATIONAL SECURITY that pretty much superceides any claim of this nature. Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by greyer

Originally posted by Skorpiogurl
I don't subliminally suggest anything

You are not consciously aware of what you are doing psychologically when you subliminally suggest things, you can be, but you're residing in your ego, which in not to blame because it is consciousness. Where ever I be, it may be in the sky, it may be in my heart, it may be in my soul, it may be in my ego. Sometimes I am right here outside of my body and I don't have any ego. Getting off the subject a little it is frustrating that I do not have time to consider a decision before I make it because the opportunity is lost within seconds, therefore it is not to think but to know because hesitation is like a theif, yet meditation is a great act so I guess its the ying and the yang.

I will respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree with your statement.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Most times when I read a thread about UFO's, specifically related to disclosure, I run across the statement: "we deserve to know the truth."

So my question is, why?

Why do people feel they deserve to know the truth?

I don't know whether or not disclosure is likely to happen. I don't think that in the grand scheme of things anybody deserves anything.

"Deserving" "Entitlement" are all concepts that carry as much meaning as the methods by which they can be enforced.

The powerful decide what the less powerful deserve. That's the way it's going to be.

But I think it is terribly short sighted if there is technology worth disclosing and a select few decided to use it to maximize their power and self preservation. From a human survival point of view it is detrimental to the human race and puts the alleged aliens at a strategic advantage.

-rrr

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by graphuto
Some people may rest easier knowing we aren't alone in the universe. If aliens were to somehow contact earth, why WOULDN'T we deserve to know?

I think this reasoning is short sighted. Because if we knew, then we would need to know more. It is not enough to say: There aliens, if you know that, you need to then know what their intentions are like, what their military capabilities are like (if any) and so on and so forth. Until you have a basic "Encyclopedic" understanding of their entire culture, in a nutshell, the questions far outnumber the knowledge.

So I would venture to say that the number of people who would rest easy knowing we are not alone is vastly outnumbered by how many people would loose sleep over worrying about aliens that we either:
(A). not know much about or possibly (B). Aliens we learn a lot of disturbing things about.

We are, on average afraid of the middle eastern and the black, and the rich. We are perfectly capable of finding threat with our own kind. Why wouldn't we find threat with a race vastly different?

The only scenario where this works out well is if there are aliens visiting that are very very nice to us. But we have no basis to assume that of course.

-rrr

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erno86

Most times when I read a thread about UFO's, specifically related to disclosure, I run across the statement: "we deserve to know the truth."

So my question is, why?

Why do people feel they deserve to know the truth?

The people deserve to know the truth about full ET disclosure - Be it for a sense of relief that "we are not alone," religious reasons, stop for being called a "tin foil hat" reasons. But the main reason... Is mainly why I think that President Obama does not want to release any information about full ET disclosure.

President Obama knows that if he released full ET disclosure at this time, he would be afraid that he would be labled as the biggest gun marketeer on our planet, if not already, [ because of people's suspicions that he is anti-gun rights,]. If the U.S. public "knew" the truth about ET- since they fully deserve to know the truth- The majority of the public will go out and buy gun's till they are armed to the teeth; for protection of there families from ET if needbe.

I already "know" the truth about ET, but that is only a partial reason why I am armed to the teeth - Not to battle with ET, unless necessary - But to prove to ET, that I am a trained marksman, and hope they would take me along; because I would be "good in a fight."

edit on 28-9-2011 by Erno86 because: grammar

This is very funny. So you say that Obama has the key to the secret? what about every president before him? What about all the people who have at some point or another had a say on whether this is information worth disclosing?

You give Obama (and every other president before him for that matter) far too much credit as far as power to make a decision in this matter.

-rrr

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

the problem is - that most people who want " the truth " - dont actually want the truth - they want other people to embrace thier fantasy and tell them they are right

The question the op asked was *if there was a truth to be disclosed* so clearly it would not be a fantasy if it was true. Whether or not it is true remains a matter of debate for any person capable of critical thinking.

Seems like you are using this sarcasm to express your opinion as a matter of fact, implying that you know for a fact there is no truth to be disclosed, but this is an assumption on your part. Nobody knows conclusively except for those (if any) with personal experiences.

-rrr

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by rickyrrr

Yes, I agree with your opinion on that.

Getting a little side tracked here but I have seen quite a few say "To know we are not alone..." To me, that is such a sad statement because we are not alone. Regardless of the possibility of other life in the universe. We, as humans, are not alone. I won't get any further into that one because it's a different topic entirely.

As I mentioned a few times before... do I feel like I "deserve" to know? am I entitled? Hell no.
Would I like to know? Of course!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I think knowledge is good. I can't think of anything I've learned that I wish I didn't know - even when some things were upsetting to me and made my life worse.

Do we DESERVE to know? Most people live in democracies and that requires people to have as much information as possible. That's the only justification I can think of - I guess it isn't a very strong argument in practice.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The biggest problem is that it's practically impossible to know what the "truth" is, even if somebody tells you. Even things we experience personally can be questionable. People are pretty good at pulling rabbits out of hats. And you can't even trust a consensus of people, because it's been proven time and again that it's possible to fool all of the people some of the time.

The only thing most people will accept as truth is something they already believe in.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
What if the "truth"..whatever truth it may be...destroys us? I've wondered lately about if TPTB is pulling a Harry Potter type situation and won't even speak of our "Voldemort"? Maybe we have an ancient and ugly secret/enemy that we don't even want to talk about.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

A government can claim legal precedent in whatever way it wants. Slavery used to be legal. Hiding something this big from the people paying to keep the government running may be considered legal to the secret holders. The actions required to keep this secret a secret more than likely includes murders if not wars used as smokescreens to fund such a massive cover-up apparatus.

Like all secrets, this one will one day come out in the open. When it does, what was once might have been considered legal to those keeping it will suddenly become illegal and they will face the wrath of those they've been lying to.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
I don't deserve to know the truth.. I DEMAND TO KNOW THE TRUTH!

Yeah...right. Look how many people give a damn about your demand. Not one person who matters.

Information is not free. Who are you too demand the truth? Why don't you find out for yourself. You have taken zero risk, put in no effort and made no attempt to find whats out there, but when someone else has done all that YOU suddenly DEMAND the their effort be shared!!

Typical lazy attitude. Free hand-outs. Must be on welfare or some such thing.
edit on 1-10-2011 by projectbane because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The truth is over rated. They don't tell us the truth because everyone will have different ways they would respond. Some would just say, I told you so, and others would freak out. 1 person is intelligent, a mass of people and you have mass panic.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

reply to post by rickyrrr

As I mentioned a few times before... do I feel like I "deserve" to know? am I entitled? Hell no.
Would I like to know? Of course!

Okay, now you're just contradicting yourself:

But... you asked me why I don't think we deserve to know. I never said I don't think we deserve to know. I would love to know.. I am just asking the question.

Now I'm more confused on your position, do you think we should know or not?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by covert1
The truth is over rated. They don't tell us the truth because everyone will have different ways they would respond. Some would just say, I told you so, and others would freak out. 1 person is intelligent, a mass of people and you have mass panic.

What about a mass of intelligent people?

What then?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Hmm,

Well ... ATS is getting soft in its old age.

I must say in its "Hey Day" some of the old school members would have absolutely roasted this thread, it wouldn't have stood a chance lol.

For fun ill chime in.

*My opinion*

Everyone deserves to know the truth, but what do we do with that information once we have it?

Most people who are interested in the subject just want the answer so they can be the first to say "I told you so"

But for the others that aren't interested in the subject they simply wouldn't put that much thought into it.

I guess my point in statement is - We all do deserve to know the truth but we aren't qualified to do any good with it.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Mark_Frost

Roasted?
roast away if you feel the need.
It's just a question.

I like your answer. Thanks!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by duhdiggitydan

There is a difference between wanting or wishing to know something and deserving or feeling entitled to it.

If there is anyone out there who could use the knowledge for something positive.. then yeah, sure, that individual deserves to know. For me personally? nah... I'd be one of the ones saying "I told you so" and it pretty much ends there so what would be the point?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Well.... okay.... but that's not really an answer. I mean say tomorrow the government came out and said "Okay, ya got us, it's true.. we've known for years, they're real...". But there's not threat, no consequence to your life... So, what do you with the information? So, why do you deserve to know?

How about this... Because knowing things like that for sure could help the whole planet to re consider a few things and look inward and maybe figure out a few things about ourselves.

Or restore a little faith in our Government if they were to actually own up to something for a change (instead of blaming it on gas from a weather balloon refracting the light from Venus)

Or even because simply put everyone deserves to know the truth it's not a commodity kept for the chosen few it's truth (even though it is kept for the chosen few) truth is a basic human right!!!

Why indeed WAKE UP MAN!!!!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Lets try to actually Think Different. Think of scenarios where it would be a pretty good idea for the governments to STFU about ET's:

* ETs were here, and a few were/are able to covertly infiltrate society with telepathic abilities and there isn't a thing we could do about it. Disclosure of that would be a disaster to free society (and benefit totalitarian societies). Opposition parties would all be accused of being alien-influenced subversives. Everybody would descend into paranoid fascism; the USA would elect a foaming anti-illegal-Alien fundamentalist from Texas. A few dissidents would bleat but the Department of Homeland Security and its Chinese equivalents would just use ATS as a list to start the roundups. Any person proclaiming a position different from "only good alien is a dead alien" would be removed from their job and possibly imprisoned, aka "security detainee". Look what a pretty weak terrorist organization who got lucky against a sleeping bureaucracy managed to do. If there was a real, powerful and actually potentially critically dangerous threat, imagine what Rush Limbaugh would spew, and the glee as the Fox News hosts snidely insinuate treason.

* Earth governments were made an ""offer"" that they couldn't refuse---"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I."

edit on 4-10-2011 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join