It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is America becoming a house divided against itself?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Is America becoming a house divided against itself?

www.cnn.com

Many of us are deeply angry at politicians in Washington and the broken government they have created. We tend to look down upon them as jackasses and ideologues who are incapable of organizing a two-car funeral. We blame special interests for capturing them, a 24/7 media for encouraging them, and power for corrupting them. Indeed, a list of reasons for broken government could -- and will -- fill a week of columns.

David GergenThose of us who are older -- born somewhere close to midcentury --
"This is shocking for the U.S. If you go back 100 years, you find that the U.S. was a huge pionee
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
askville.amazon.com[ /url]
[url=http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2008/06/part_one_america_is_falling_ap.html]www.oregonlive.com

theeconomiccollapseblog.com
www.amnation.com

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
theres alot more to this story and i find it really sad because i see it with arizona and the self induced immigration law and then i think it was alabama or mississippi. forgive me if this isn't a good piece but, its my first attempt..... give me your thoughts i would love to here them. I think if we keep on our current path yes we will see the "United we Stand....But Divided we fall"

But if we change our course and our ways and stand up we might just save our country, I feel so bad for the person whom takes on this monumental task i want to say just let it fail because four years isn't enough time to fix over a hundred years of damage.

www.cnn.com

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Becoming?

I think that ship has already sailed

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MissCoyote

Divided? It has been so for quite awhile now. And will continue to get worse.

Until a major war hits US soil, we will remain so.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
mainstream media for u

they missed the bus

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Pretty much any country you can think of is becoming deliberately divided. It's the easiest way to control a population. As long as you can keep everybody separated into their own special interest group or separated altogether, you can have no consensus in the population. Which only leave the government standing and making all the rules based on whomever or whichever company or corporate interest bribes them the most.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Divided since the 1800's and probably even before then.
In any case that's the natural human tendency.

America is great because we can unite for a cause. Hopefully we stay strong in that respect.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The way it is suppose to be is that the government is divided among itself and that the corporations are competing among themselves.

That would keep the market affordable and it would also tie the gov't up so it wouldn't have a chance to unify and enact tyrannical policies.

That's what our system is suppose to be.

But sadly, I am afraid it is far from that.

The governments are unified against the people, and the corporations are fixing prices instead of competing.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

thats the general idea of the plan... unity through war I guess, has been fore centuries and will most likely continue to be.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
Becoming?

I think that ship has already sailed

Bingo! And things don't happen by chance. The great papers that are supposed to tie these many states together are spat upon in WashDC and courtrooms coast to coast with alarming regularity. Divide and conquer has long been the common ground.

The illusion of The American Dream brought foreigners from around the world onto a massive piece of real estate. Still birds of a feather like to flock together. PC, bigotry and racism we may try to fight, peoples true colors shine through still. It's just not easy to get along in a land where there are so many differences, another piece of the underlying puzzle. Those at the top have been scheming and planning a very long time, and their never-ending hot air fills the sails with propulsion.

As the tail follows after the head, generation after generation growing up under politicians who say this but do that has had a trickle-down effect. How many can see the rich and powerful became and stayed that way not so much from hard work and inspiration, but by cheating, lying and stealing. Time catches up with everything and here we are waiting to implode.

America is more than a house divided against itself, it's a house of cards in a gust of wind and the excrement is just waiting to smack the rotating blades.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

This has been on my mind, and the inverse you mentioned to "Divided we fall" as "United we stand." (Dang-- I'm going to have that song stuck as a brain worm for the rest of the day!)

I am not a Civil War scholar, but have read quite a bit; and have recently become intrigued with the view point that the loss of State's Rights to the Federal government has had far reaching and unexpected results. It is one of those topics I have in my list of subjects to study.

Fifty nation states, all with their own best interest as primary, but with an eye toward what is best for the whole Republic has a great potential. I want to mention it only in passing, that, the Hebrews believed that each nation had a spiritual power protecting it. Unite fifty such Angels and a mighty power would be at work. Strip that down to only one, and it is a great loss of potential. Removing the spiritual argument, the philosophy still points to a practical understanding.

But we have become so dualistic-- Republicans against Democrats, each ideology demonizes the other while neither looks at its own motives. Both sides do that, and there is no longer any middle ground-- no empathy, no selflessness, no toleration. Laws now are not for all of us, but instead as being against "others."

My point is that, once, the US was "many for one;" but now, in trying to emphasize the one, we marginalize the many. We make a "they" instead of an "we" out of any disagreement.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This is a quote from OP's article link.

Public they represent?

Which public are we talking about?

But perhaps we give too little attention to the basic notion that our politicians are also a reflection of the public they represent.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissCoyote

theres alot more to this story and i find it really sad because i see it with arizona and the self induced immigration law and then i think it was alabama or mississippi. forgive me if this isn't a good piece but, its my first attempt..... give me your thoughts i would love to here them. I think if we keep on our current path yes we will see the "United we Stand....But Divided we fall"

But if we change our course and our ways and stand up we might just save our country, I feel so bad for the person whom takes on this monumental task i want to say just let it fail because four years isn't enough time to fix over a hundred years of damage.

www.cnn.com

Not sure what you're trying to say about our immigration law. We just don't want to turn into the Balkans. Bankrupt and in a constant state of ethnic war.

I don't really care what anyone thinks about it or anything else for that matter. Your politics are your politics, just don't be typical in thinking those politics make you "smart". Politics is an emotional pursuit. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing some smug Republicrat (I hate both parties) acting so pleased with themselves because they learned to recite rhetoric like kids recite nursery rhymes.

As far as our Divided States of America...yeah, we're through. To borrow from Alex Jones, Destroyed By Design. And divided like a pizza. It's not just citizens against politicians, black against white, right against left...it's everything. And you're staring into one of the causes of it all. Technology has dehumanized us. Television incites us. Internet gives us everything we want to read, see, and hear in the comfort of our own homes. Fast food gives us...FAST FOOD. And addictive. There's no reason to go out and mingle, get to know our neighbors, see movies with friends, go to concerts etc.

Brake down in your car? Call AAA from you cellphone. Lock the door and stay inside until they get there, enjoying the air conditioning and the 42 hours music on your iPod...

At least, that's one theory. Many other factors, I'm sure.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
From your OP article:

But perhaps we give too little attention to the basic notion that our politicians are also a reflection of the public they represent. As the old saying goes, we get the president we deserve -- and usually the Congress, too. In truth, our fractured politics are due in no small part to a fractured country -- one in which consensus and moderation are disappearing. With apologies to President Truman: the buck stops here.

Why yes they are... they are a reflection of the public they serve: the big banks and corporations.

SCREW you and me.... they don't serve us.

Now they have their propaganda mouthpiece blame us???

Yeah, right....

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Finally common sense brought.
all hail the bs.
of course its falling apart but it has yet to actually FALL to separate states. that happens the only one in charge is your state government hope u like who you voted for.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

If you know or even care about history many of the same issues at the birth of our country remain today. The issue of a large centralized government with a Imperial presidency and a central bank was the focus of of the Federalists with Alexander Hamilton at the head of this movement. They were pro wealthy as they believed in a aristocracy should be in control of government. They were also for the federal government being over states rights. Sorta just like what we have today. In time the anti federalists came to power lead by Thomas Jefferson as the populace rejected the obvious favoritism the federalist showed the wealthy.

Then fast forward to the civil war, the civil was was fought because states felt like they should be the final say on what is or is not legal in there state, not the federal government. The federal government forced these states to comply with federal law at the point of a gun, and the destruction of the south. Abraham Lincoln represented the wealthy northern states, even when the issues of slavery was plain to see should be abolished its easy to see what the elite side of government will do to enforce there will.

So its easy to see how our issues are not new, but very old and in all this time we have not been able to work them out. Today the federal government extorts state to comply with federal law by the threat of withholding highway funds or other federal monies.

One must see through the enormous propaganda machine that teaches us we are better than the rest of the world, and that we are true and just. It's all about power and manipulating the masses. We have never been united. We just have the illusion that at times were were united.
edit on 28-9-2011 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-9-2011 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I don't fall for anything in the media anymore i hate being lied to it bugs the crap out of me. freaking just be honest im not going to go crazy and panic because the country i had not control of being born in is falling apart because of the older populations wonderful decisions on how to destroy the world

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Becoming? America has been at war with itself for a century or more. From the Federal Reserve Act through the Assassination of JFK to 9-11 and beyond, there has been a dark force at war with the american people for a long time.

Best of luck to us all as it all comes to a head in the very near future.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

This is an older thread and in the time since it was written we have become even MORE divided. I saw this very interesting video, a speech from one of the TED talks and it attempts to explain a little bit about our Western culture and why that is. It did help me to understand a little bit more of why we are the way we are. Check it out and see for yourself.

In this new RSAnimate, renowned psychiatrist and writer Iain McGilchrist explains how our 'divided brain' has profoundly altered human behaviour, culture and society. Taken from a lecture given by Iain McGilchrist as part of the RSA's free public events programme. To view the full lecture, go to www.youtube.com...

To hear more TED Talks - www.ted.com...

edit on 7-11-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

top topics

join