It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 10 Most Air-Polluted Cities in the World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Before you look at the list, see if you can guess. I was way off.

What city would you ante up and why?

Are these cities forced to live in pollution because of western world standards?

The most polluted cities tend to be found in developing countries. No surprise there—poorer countries tend to have dirtier cars, factories and power plants, and rarely have or enforce the kind of environmental regulations that have—over the course of decades—become common in the developed world.

I am kinda surprised that Beijing isn't on the list.

Read more: ecocentric.blogs.time.com...
edit on 28-9-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-9-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
They are only measiring PM10 for the sake of this ranking. The other HAP's that are usually measured to give an overall metric are the following PM2.5, CO, NO2, O3, SO2 and lead.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Thanks nixie

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

The article isn't very clear on whether othe pollutants were measured or not. What the article did state was that 2 million people a year are killed by the PM10. But I also don't see any evidence that anything else was excluded.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
im having doubts about the validity of this.. there are no chinese or s.e asian cities? and iran makes 4 appearances.. im smelling a rat somewhere here..

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Another article I rad about this only mentioned PM10.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Another WHO articled mentioned they tested others. But it goes to show that the media isn't always consistent.
Your article says that Canada and the US have some of the cleanest. Have they been to Baltimore in August?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

India considers themselves part of the Asian continent, So is Mongolia. The article designates developing areas. So they are not quite using ox and a board to farm anymore, but they are not first world standards yet.

My stbxh had a saying: You know just enough to be dangerous.

He was referring to people and their computers, but I think it fits in this case too. They have just enough money to industrialize a little, but not enough to control it.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Misterlondon

India considers themselves part of the Asian continent, So is Mongolia. The article designates developing areas. So they are not quite using ox and a board to farm anymore, but they are not first world standards yet.

My stbxh had a saying: You know just enough to be dangerous.

He was referring to people and their computers, but I think it fits in this case too. They have just enough money to industrialize a little, but not enough to control it.

i was more referring to south east asia.. i.e Bangkok, Jakarta, manila etc

also add to the mix places like moscow, mexico city, lagos (take your pick of many chinese cities) this is the reason i have doubts about it.

you know how things like this work.. depending on the parameters used you could probably fix that list to show any one of many unsavory nations and cities you wanted.. under the heading of most polluted cities in the world.

here is another 10 most polluted cities.. from the same source as your article.

* Linfen, China
* Tianying, China
* Sukinda, India
* Vapi, India
* La Oroya, Peru
* Dzerzhinsk, Russia
* Norilsk, Russia
* Chernobyl, Ukraine
* Sumgayit, Azerbaijan
* Kabwe, Zambia

Read more: www.time.com...

im just reading between the lines and pointing out how its funny, iran is included 4 times in that list.. especially with the current propaganda flying around lately... id like to know exactly how they worked this out..

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

What polluntants are measured

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

In this case only PM10.

top topics

join