It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thai school's Nazi-themed parade sparks outrage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

(CNN) -- A Jewish human rights organization on Monday called for Thailand's Christian leaders to condemn a parade at the Sacred Heart School in Chiang Mai, Thailand, in which participating students wearing Nazi uniforms performed "Sieg Heil" salutes.

The Simon Wiesenthal Center, a Jewish human rights organization based in Los Angeles, denounced the event, saying it was "glorifying Nazis."

Photographs of the parade show participants carrying a Swastika flag, performing Nazi salutes and wearing SS uniforms, while others dressed as Adolf Hitler complete with toothbrush moustache.

Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, said the images made it clear that the event could not have taken place without the knowledge and cooperation of the school administration.

Now this really, really surprised me. Where on this earth would authorities allow such a thing? These are children dressed in Nazi-replica uniforms, carrying toy guns, Nazi flags, and doing the Heil salute. What adult educator would have for ONE MINUTE encouraged this?

Then I thought about all the school "mascots" that represent warriors and invaders and other such factions from the distant past such as Vikings, Trojans, Celtics, etc. But really, the Nazis' atrocities are still modern history. There are survivors still "surviving". This is in such incredibly bad taste and insensitive enough to make anyone aghast!

I'm not Jewish, my family has not been involved in any way in the events of WWII, but I do have a healthy dose of German blood. I have on one or two occasions been self-conscious about that, but only mildly, and never have I been mocked or shamed by anyone for it...but still!

Anyone else find this a bit too much?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I thought the Simon Wiesenthal institute was too busy pursuing and participating in the witch hunt that wrongly convicts supposed war criminals. They should focus their resources condemning the modern day Nazis, AKA Israel.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

The world is just getting more surreal for every day that passes...!

Why do they do it I ask?
I would love to be a fly on the wall in the classroom and hear the discussion and planning before the parade.

edit on 28-9-2011 by LiberalSceptic because: Forgetfulness

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The biggest group to perpetuate the Nazi doctrines in this current day are....ADL, Simon Weisenthal Center, Zionist movements and youth groups etc...

Maybe if they found some other way to be victimized er...I mean, "raise awareness", Nazi-ism wouldn't be a problem.

hmm?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I had never heard of the Simon W Institute, so I can't address your remark with any knowledge at all. Having said that, this "parade theme" is just wrong on SO MANY levels that I can't begin to comprehend who "thunk it up."

Is it what it appears to be? A deliberate provocation? Is it a "cutesy" slam at Israel? Really, I can't think of one good reason for this! Back in the 70s when an undergrad in college I dressed as Patricia Hearst for halloween, and I got some laughs out of it. That was a current event. And we have Jeff Dunham doing his Achmed thing (which I actually also find rather questionable, while it is a mildly amusing from time to time).

I don't know what to make of a Nazi theme -- did the parade also have a Concentration Camp representation? Did it include Japanese pilots? Was it a WWII festival?

Just confused about it. But whatever. I'm not Thai, I know nothing about their particular mindset. Any insights would be appreciated.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I'm outraged by the apparent willingness of so many people to be outraged by the stupid things people do.

What's with these groups and orgs who exist for the sole purpose of being butthurt by things?

Say the parade is condemned by some "important" official. What then?

The simple ease of meeting the requirements set forth by these butthurt orgs to make it all "better" is evidence the outrage is feigned in the first place.

Statements of condemnation, public apologies, and the like are inherently worthless and empty. It's like these orgs just get off on watching people ask "how high?" when they order them to "jump."
edit on 28-9-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
If I'd have known I'd have lent that girl in the 5th photo my Jackboots.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I honestly am not that shocked by it. If I were a descendant of survivors from the holocaust it might be a different story. My reasoning is that Eisenhower okay'd the death by starvation of hundreds of thousands German and Russian POW's at the end of the war, and no one starts a fuss when people celebrate American soldiers from WW2. Sure they weren't Nazis, but their leaders and what they represent wasn't perfect either.

He who wins the war can control how history is recorded.
edit on 28-9-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I agree. Seems like I don't go a day without hearing or seeing something referencing nazi's and people getting outraged by others. Wonder why that is. People don't go insane when Russians commerate Stalin even though he killed a few million as well. hmmm

Speaking of nazi's.

edit on 28-9-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

top topics

join