It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India files biopiracy lawsuit against Monsanto, says biotech giant is stealing nature for corporate

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+88 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

(BIG) India files biopiracy lawsuit against Monsanto

www.naturalnews.com

India has become a primary target for biotechnology companies like Monsanto and Cargill to spread their genetically-modified (GM) crops into new markets. However, a recent France 24 report explains that the Indian government has decided to take an offensive approach against this attempted agricultural takeover by suing Monsanto for "biopiracy," accusing the company of stealing India's indigenous plants in order to re-engineer them into patented varieties.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www. france24.com
edit on 28-9-2011 by Maxmars because: PLEASE USE THE ACTUAL SOURCE HEADLINE WHEN SUBMITTING BREAKING ALTERNATIVE NEWS THREADS

+19 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Brinjal, also known in Western nations as eggplant, is a native Indian crop for which there are roughly 2,500 different unique varieties. Millions of Indian farmers grow brinjal, which is used in a variety of Indian food dishes, and the country grows more than a quarter of the world's overall supply of the vegetable.

And in an attempt to capitalize on this popular crop, Monsanto has repeatedly tried to commercially market its own GM variety of brinjal called Bt brinjal. But massive public outcry against planned commercial approval of Monsanto's "frankencrop" variety in 2010 led to the government banning it for an indefinite period of time.

I searched ATS and could not find anything in regards to the lawsuit. This is big. India is saying NO to the agricultural tyrants who seek to steal nature and then sell it commercially for their own gain.

Who has the right to destroy a natural plant and then sell their own twisted version? No-one. India is the first country to sue against such sacrilege and they have my full support!

Now if only the rest of the world would stand up and fight this battle that NEEDS to be fought. We could be looking at an apocalyptic scenario if this is allowed to carry on. Sounds crazy but its true. You shouldn't mess around with nature on such a large scale, it is a finely tuned machine already, it does not need modifying.. Unless you want to experience problems in the future...

There is a France24 video report on this issue in the additional news link.

Go India!!

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Thank you for sharing = good find!
This single act is one of many and only the beginning of countries, communities and people, taking back power!
The simple choice: power to the people - Amandla Awethu!
There is a common voice and vision + FREEDOM

∞LOVE∞
edit on 28-9-2011 by awake1234 because: LOVE

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Nice thread. Wow first Occupy Wall Street, now India and plenty more people saying NO to these hotshots.....I smell progress.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by KySc5
Nice thread. Wow first Occupy Wall Street, now India and plenty more people saying NO to these hotshots.....I smell progress.

Revolution is indeed in the air!
The question.. is it too little too late?

I remain hopeful.

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I don't actually have any problem with GM if you take away the malicious business practices employed by those that create the seeds, which Monsanto is infamous for...so the more people and countries that push to bankrupt and demolish the corporation the better, but GM done properly with ethical business practice and sound science has my support!

edit on 28-9-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Someone needs to alert Annon, because Monsanto has to be one of the dangerous companies that exist at the moment. Messing with our food supply (including suing our farmers) is playing with fire. Good for India.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

This is that change that people want to see, and I agree that Monsanto has hijacked nature for it's own monetary purposes. Absolutely, it is offensive to me, and it probably is to most people (that know how they operate).

PS;

OP, nice signature, have you read Food Of the Gods?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This is wonderful news. I hope India is also doing this for their people, as I read another post on here a while back about the farmers committing suicide because of Monsanto and their crops.

I really, really hope they win. I believe it would send a message, not only to Monsanto, but to other countries. Maybe given them courage to do the same thing.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Hurray for India! I definitely hope they succeed. Monsanto is one of the most dangerous companies out there and it needs to be burned to the ground.
Georgia should be executing the Monsanto CEO instead of an innocent black man.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Well you can thank George Soros and his Quantum Fund for a lot of this.

George Soros Wiki
keywiki.org...

Monsanto

Soros' hedge fund bought 897,813 shares (valued at $312.6 million) of Monsanto during the third quarter of 2010.[43]

The Monsanto Company is a U.S.-based multinational agricultural biotechnology corporation. It is the world's leading producer of the herbicide glyphosate, marketed as "Roundup." Monsanto is also the leading producer of genetically engineered (GE) seed; it provides the technology in 90% of the world's GE seeds.[44] It is headquartered in Creve Coeur, Missouri.

S510, the Food Safety Modernization Act, if and when it is passed, will create an investment windfall for Soros who is the second largest holder of Monsanto stock. S510 is not really about food safety, it is about government control over everything connected to food in the US including seed stock.[45]

Their largest holding is Petrogas and their second largest is Monsanto.

George Soros: What’s His Fund Been Buying?
blogs.wsj.com...

The value of billionaire investor George Soros’ hedge fund increased by 31.6% to $6.7 billion at the end of the third quarter compared with the previous quarter, as he boosted his stake in blue-chip stocks AT&T Inc. and Monsanto, according to a regulatory filing late Monday.
. . .
Soros also purchased 897,813 shares of Monsanto–his second-largest holding on a dollar basis–during the quarter. The position is now valued at $312.6 million.

George Soros seems to be found wherever there is crappy service

edit on 28-9-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Once this law suit is over no matter the victor. The Monsanto crowd need to be charged and arrested then hauled into the World Court for crimes against humanity among other things. Then the world can watch as they get the Saddam Hussein treatment. Even that is to good for them there isn't a punishment stiff enough for these psycopaths. We know who they are and we know what they have done. The time is coming when they no longer will get away with their death of destruction. Karma will always get you in the end.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
You go India!!

This can't seriously be the only country on the planet which understands the monstrosity of negligence that Monsanto bandys about. What has to happen in the US? Do our farmers have to start committing suicide in such large numbers that it wakes the public up?

You want to eat GMO? Go ahead, I'd love to see what happens to someone who only eats GMO. The Dr. Frankenstein in me thinks it would be cool, especially if Monsanto's CEO spearheaded the whole project. Better yet, one of his children. Are these people even human? I'm not into the whole reptilian agenda (full disclosure: it makes me giggle sometimes), but I'm starting to understand the point of irrationality from which it sprung.

Does the Monsanto cafeteria serve this sh%& to its employees? I would think any healthcare organization would take that into account when underwriting their plan's premiums.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

Soros just doesn't have enough money he has to buy into one of the worlds worst corporations to rape the world so he can make a few more bucks. Great.

Monsanto should be burned to the ground and never allowed to ever operate, anywhere on this planet. This action by India is long overdue seeing as they have been royally frakked by Monsanto, enough so that farmers have resorted to drinking pesticides to kill themselves to get out from under this twisted system.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
India, like most 3rd world nations, is incredibly corrupt. The highest bidder can easily buy politicians.

This, however, seems to be a step in the right direction.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique

Revolution is indeed in the air!
The question.. is it too little too late?

I remain hopeful.

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

I don't think it is ever too late for change.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Its about time, I had uncles who were farmers in the Punjab, area of India. Just to let you know in Punjab, people are mostly farmers. I had uncles that farmed, until they couldnt pay back their debt or make a decent profit because GMO companies were ripping them off.

For one you cant sell the left over seeds, you cant use them for your self, equipment is very expensive and every hour a farmer in India commits suicide...

Life for farmers anywhere even in America is harder than being on welfare.

And especially since everyone started talking about anit-corruption laws in India people wont let this stand.

edit on 28-9-2011 by Dinogur because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

It's not progress till courts actually rule harshly against these corporations and their high paid lawyers... which like never happens. I'm sure this will be swept under the rug and monsato will continue to rape and pillage the planet and its people.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

Karma will always get you in the end.

I know you are right about that, but many times Karma waits for the reincarnation of a person to level the field again. We don't have time to wait for that. What we need is poetic justice, and though sweet, that is not nearly as dependable a force or principle.

Thank God India is doing this. Guess Monsanto should have paid off India's politicians better. Watch Barry Barack will want to go in there soon. This crap is wearin' me out it is so idiotic.

Do you remember; Monsanto; Better Living Through Chemistry!

Oh yeah, almost forgot;

edit on 28-9-2011 by Ittabena because: film

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I don't actually have any problem with GM if you take away the malicious business practices employed by those that create the seeds, which Monsanto is infamous for...

You don't mention there has been no real testing on what the long or short term effects are when consumed by humans. We are all of us in the US eating this untested crud. If it were tested and found safe and harmless that would be fine, but this has not been done. We are talking about DNA here!

The same SOP for testing has been used by the Pharmaceutical industries for several decades and look how well that has gone. We don't have money for testing drugs or invented food, but we have money to wage wars in 5 different countries?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join