It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need an opinion from some African Americans!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
hello, im a 24 year old white male and i am wondering if it would be considered, in any way, inappropriate for me to wear a dashiki.

i live in san diego and all of the black people ive ever met here are what i would consider very 'chill'

im not trying to make any kind of statement or anything wacky like that, i just really like how it looks and i'm looking to wear it as more of a hippy style type of thing.

so what do you think? im just worried that some culturally aware african americans may be offended by me wearing a traditional garment. i equate it to me wearing a yamaka even though im not jewish.

if anything this would be my own way of supporting my enjoyment of the african culture!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Only if you wear it around other hippies,
and don't walk around downtown late at night.

Also, have you considered cornrows?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by xxblackoctoberxx

Hi, I am cracker-glow-in-the-dark white.

Dude, dashikis are awesome. I pulled up tons of them on eBay and I'm dying to know if it's offensive for white people to wear them as I would like to buy a couple.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Yeah, no problem, come on down.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I'm black and If you ever saw me wearing that, I'd be crazy and singing to pineapples, for my taste that is hideous. I need something simple in a dark navy or pitch black. I have a simple style based on a few simple colours. Keep it simple and vivid, but that is a monstrosity.

If you want to wear it, find a nice hat to match. Good luck.

edit on 28-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Wore quite a few of them as a white suburban musician in the 60's and 70's. But I bought the Hindu styles from India. Exactly the same, but without the afro-based colors. Usually they were solid with Hindu/Indian brading in embrodery thread. Very cool. Still are. I just didnt wear the afro-influenced designs or colors. Just the Indian variety (look at old Beatles photos from the 60's)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
thank you everyone so far!

haha these have been some very amusing responses and my confidence is growing.

i didn't even think to look into the indian styles which i think might be more up my alley as i am going for the hippy look somewhat.

thank you!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
In a world where you are labeled as a racist for merely accurately transcribing the public speech of a (semi) black politician, I think you might want to rethink your options my friend.

www.infowars.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx
thank you everyone so far!

haha these have been some very amusing responses and my confidence is growing.

i didn't even think to look into the indian styles which i think might be more up my alley as i am going for the hippy look somewhat.

thank you!

Hey if you find a good source of Indian looking shirts please U2U me. I promise we'll never end up in the same place and if we ever did you get credit for having the idea first

I haven't bought new clothes in about 4 years!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I'm starting to see why black people think we are soo damned corny. in the long run you'll come across more as mocking the culture rather then embracing it. you already stated you are looking to achieve a certain "look". it's not worth potentially disrespecting someones culture for you to "look" cool. maybe that would fly in SD, but try it in detroit and get back to me.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by buskey
In a world where you are labeled as a racist for merely accurately transcribing the public speech of a (semi) black politician, I think you might want to rethink your options my friend.

Don't be so sensitive. These days, SOMEONE is going to mention racism if there's a black person involved. Don't be afraid of the word. Be who you are and do your best. If people think you're racist, that's really THEIR issue, isn't it? Walking on eggshells around this issue only makes it more "taboo" when it should be more open and discussed.

To the OP, I love the look of a Dashiki and I hope you get some and post your pictures. It's a beautiful piece of clothing and I would wear it in a heartbeat.

I happen to love the colors and patterns of Native American and Mexican clothing. I have several outfits that reflect this. No one should be offended. It's my own personal taste and expression. If they are offended (because I'm a white girl) that is their issue, not mine.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Dashikis are for squids. You should quit diddling around and go for the full-blown Kip Dynamite.

new topics

top topics

join