It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious blinking star-like objects

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
+1, flash out of the corner of my eye. like a star being almost as bright as jupiter for a split second.

Betelgeuse, no. I like the pattern of it, and it looks fantastic through the pores of my contact lens when the scope is not dialed in (almost like a coloured light-beam structure constantly twisting and turning and folding in upon itself) but, no.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
just want to say ive seen this too.. i actually saw it last night around midnight but i was driving so couldnt get a good look..
it was brighter than any star in the sky and did flash on and off...

sightings around the uk seem to have exploded in the last few weeks.. really has me thinking whether something is going on?

also had a friend that last week saw an orange ball come down from the sky and then fly off again at high speed.. and he is really not a ufo/conspiracy person.. lol blew his mind..

both mine and his were on the outskirts of london..

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I have seen many of them over the last year also. I have seen that many they don't really excite me to be honest. But still to this day don't know what they are! I suppose If people on here would have seen the thing me and my twin brother witnessed on the 4th of october 2009 in sheffield UK things like this don't really compare.

Anyway I know exactly what your talking about. I went outside last night, and the night before that and saw a few of them. Patience is the key!

They come from every direction- Im going to disagree with the op and say that If you have good eyes
(not saying you dont) but after the flashes you can see a really dim looking object which is emmitting the flash.

2 nights ago was watching the sky- saw three star like balls heading in the same direction ( pretty dim) one of the balls was lagging behind a little...and either the 2 balls in front slowed down or the laggin one sped up to join the other 2 balls.

On other occasions I've seen star like objects 'individual ones' tracking them across the sky one minute it is dim looking star the next it will become the brighest thing in the sky emmitting a glowing white colour.....one thing that is interesting about after it has stopped glowing so bright its attitude had become so high that only If you where tracking it originally could you possibly view it....in some cases they get so heigh after doing this they just literally disappear in to space

I don't know what they are.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
For the past four nights my husband and I have seen objects like this in the sky only they appear to move and they are blinking fast and changing colors. I have rough video of a very bright one last night. I am in the process of uploading it. I'll post it here when I do. There was 4 different orbs of light in the sky above our house last night. My friend was over to visit and I made her look at them too. We have no idea what they are. I live out in the country outside Tulsa, Oklahoma. We have a pretty clear view of the night sky. Pretty crazy stuff. I'm buying a telescope this weekend, lol.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
i've been seeing those for years. they're not stars, satellites or planes. from their sometimes erratic movements, and from the fact that i've seen two of them flash one after the other, as if they're signalling each other, i'm going to go out on a limb and say they're ufos.

some of the black triangle ones have a "sphere centre" that lights up in exactly the same way....

www.youtube.com...

i've heard lately that the black triangle ones "might" be ours. anybody know?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Ive been noticing a very bright star in the eastern sky as well recently, but it is Jupiter according to my Stargazer Iphone app.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstrongo37
Ive been noticing a very bright star in the eastern sky as well recently, but it is Jupiter according to my Stargazer Iphone app.

I kept thinking the bright one was a planet until it started moving, as in bobbing around and then moving east to west across the sky very slowly. Around 10pm last night is when my friend came over and the brightest one was moving and then we noticed two others (not quite as bright to us but still moving and blinking colors) that were moving in the same direction. Any idea what these could be?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

I saw a flashing light around 4am going northwards very slowly, it usually flashed white but sometimes blue or green? This was on Sunday.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
A few months ago i got to my house just stepped outside my car and one of these things caught my eye over the mountain at the end of my street. It was on the right side of an antenna. Within seconds of me noticing it my girlfriend that lives half an hour away says her and her mother are looking at a strange blinking blue light in the sky. It would shoot beams of light on the left and then right back and forth. I went inside got something eat cam back out and it was now on the other side of the antenna. I watched it for awhile went inside came back out it was gone. Hasnt been there since i check every night.
edit on 28-9-2011 by Corpsehoagie because: Posted twice

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

The scientific name for the twinkling of stars is stellar scintillation (or astronomical scintillation). Stars twinkle when we see them from the Earth's surface because we are viewing them through thick layers of turbulent (moving) air in the Earth's atmosphere.

Stars (except for the Sun) appear as tiny dots in the sky; as their light travels through the many layers of the Earth's atmosphere, the light of the star is bent (refracted) many times and in random directions (light is bent when it hits a change in density - like a pocket of cold air or hot air). This random refraction results in the star winking out (it looks as though the star moves a bit, and our eye interprets this as twinkling).

Stars closer to the horizon appear to twinkle more than stars that are overhead - this is because the light of stars near the horizon has to travel through more air than the light of stars overhead and so is subject to more refraction. Also, planets do not usually twinkle, because they are so close to us; they appear big enough that the twinkling is not noticeable (except when the air is extremely turbulent).

Stars would not appear to twinkle if we viewed them from outer space (or from a planet/moon that didn't have an atmosphere).

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Just wanted to add that I have watched these for the past few years here in north Florida. I've posted in several threads here at ATS about them but the threads are usually totally derailed by excuses of "satellite, helicopter, airplane, ISS, Iridium Flare, twinkling star, etc." Good to finally see a thread that appears to be sticking to the actual unexplained phenomena.

Sometimes it/they are very bright.... or sometimes larger than other times. They can remain absolutely stationary or move extremely fast. They can create flashes every few seconds or sometimes many minutes apart.... then they just stop. It can occur all through-out the night hours... not just in the early morning dawn. The brightest (or closest?) one I ever saw was at 1 a.m. and only blinked every 8 minutes.

It takes patience to observe these. Having worked the night-shift for the past decade... I have the opportunity to watch things like these. I have even searched astronomy forums because I just cannot understand why this isn't talked about more.

I don't know what they are...... but I do certainly know they are not anything that has yet been addressed. (i.e. the fore mentioned objects)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I am in Solihull , fair few miles away from you, i shall be getting the scope and bino's out tonight, so i will keep a good look out for something of your description. It is supposed to be really clear here tonight, so we shall see. will get back to you if i see anything like what you describe.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I too have seen exactly what you have described around a month ago when my wife and I had a long weekend break away from the city lights of Sydney, Australia.....

I immediately thought of a large series of articles about 'Mystery Space Machines' that John Walson has been filming through his telescope. The pictures and videos of these 'space machines' in earth's orbit are very convincing. They are not 100% clear but you can see enough to know that these things are intelligently made technology of some kind:
The following link takes you to an index of his articles:John Walson Articles

In the second installment he shows pictures of some men who have been watching and following him since publishing these pictures - they may be from the 'government' or 'shadow government'????

Could these be the space ships that Gary McKinnon said that he read about when he hacked the US Military and NASA???

Not sure if these are what we are seeing in the sky but I figure it was worth posting as it may be an explanation........

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I am not sure if this is similar, but back in 90s i was observing the sky using my telescope. I found a star that was unusually bright compared to the rest and then suddenly while observing it just flashed out.
The sky was clear at that time and it was at least 60-70 degrees above horizon, so it cannot have been blocked out by clouds or similar.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
my2cents.
they are big 'Motherships' or gigantic et made spheres that use a propulsion that blinks out to move and when they get to their arrival point they blink back.

i did see one circa 98 or so, i was just star gazing when i saw a star blink out, wondering if i would read about a burned out star, but kept starring in that general vicinity and it blinked back in. Not wanting to look away i kept staring. It then blinked out and then a few moments later, as before, it blinked back to visibility.
each time it blinked out it blinked back in at another position, but relatively in the same spot.

check out Richard Hoaglands theory on Iapetus - Saturn moon.
enterprisemission.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I have been thinking to make a thread about this
I live in Finland and I have seen it happen many times. And even when clouds are in the sky, you can see the flash through them. Like somebody taking a photo behind clouds with a flash.
And I know many here who is looking for answer to that weird flashing in the nightsky.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by lukeUK
They come from every direction- Im going to disagree with the op and say that If you have good eyes
(not saying you dont) but after the flashes you can see a really dim looking object which is emmitting the flash.

Right, that's what i have seen before in the past year or so a couple of times. I have seen a very very dim light traveling across the sky very slowly which would "flash" every so often. A few of them have seemed to arc across the sky in what i would could an un-natural path.

Though the one i saw this morning i couldn't see anything other than the flash it left behind as it was moving. I do wear glasses, but my eyesight is as good as anyones when i'm wearing them lol. Very clear night and the flash that came from this object i would say became as bright as Jupiter itself at times, although i could not see a dim light/object in the path of the flashes this time.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour

The scientific name for the twinkling of stars is stellar scintillation (or astronomical scintillation). Stars twinkle when we see them from the Earth's surface because we are viewing them through thick layers of turbulent (moving) air in the Earth's atmosphere.

Stars (except for the Sun) appear as tiny dots in the sky; as their light travels through the many layers of the Earth's atmosphere, the light of the star is bent (refracted) many times and in random directions (light is bent when it hits a change in density - like a pocket of cold air or hot air). This random refraction results in the star winking out (it looks as though the star moves a bit, and our eye interprets this as twinkling).

Stars closer to the horizon appear to twinkle more than stars that are overhead - this is because the light of stars near the horizon has to travel through more air than the light of stars overhead and so is subject to more refraction. Also, planets do not usually twinkle, because they are so close to us; they appear big enough that the twinkling is not noticeable (except when the air is extremely turbulent).

Stars would not appear to twinkle if we viewed them from outer space (or from a planet/moon that didn't have an atmosphere).

Thanks for the reply, but it is not a scintillating star. A star is a fixed body, which typically stays in place all the time with respect to other stars in the sky. When i try to say "star-like", its like an object very high up in the atmosphere or possibly even in space/orbit that is usually very hard to see or you cannot see it at all. The only obvious visible event is the flash of light, as i said just like a camera flash. If you could imagine blinking at the moment these things "flash" and light up for a brief moment, they would look just like any other stars in the sky.

These things move across the sky just as high-altitude planes or satellite would.. but with very erratic movements, usually unpredictable paths. Again, not flashing lights as in twinkling or rapid pulsing, but just a strange instant "pinging" light that lasts no more than half a second, then a delay of 5-30 seconds between the next flash as it moves across the sky.

Kind of hard to explain unless you have seen it yourself before. I wouldn't say it was an optical illusion or a natural object (meteorites, etc).

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Id like to see a little animated GIF explain erratic movements aswell.

Over 5 friends of mine have been out last night and the night before to watch some very odd things in the skies above. Different locations, although appearing all the more obvious each night.
The sky up here in north of Scotland has been packed of aircraft over the last week and I dont know why.

Iv been telling people what I seen, and I get the usual, 'Where you smoking something' wink wink. However one pilot today told me "It wont of been military, thats for fact." Now i'll take what he says going by the fact he spent a long time in the forces on covert missions or some sort. Ex sniper / special forces in the middle east. The skills this man has is unreal!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

pic or it didnt happen :/

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join